Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 12:32:52 PM EDT
Gun owners must follow state regulations -- including signing on the dotted line -- to have a valid firearm owner’s identification (FOID) card.

Illinois residents who obtain or own guns or ammunition within the state must have in their possession a valid FOID card issued their name.

A FOID card must be signed for it to be valid, said Master Sgt. Rick Hector, spokesman for the Illinois State Police, the agency which issues FOID cards in the state.

According to state law, a valid FOID card must contain an applicant’s name, residence, date of birth, sex, physical description, recent photograph, and signature. A FOID is valid for five years from the date it was issued.

However, a gun owner’s FOID card is laminated before he or she receives it, and is valid only after the recipient signs it on the right side in the area indicated.

IL State Police

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, the fuc*tards make the card out of a very hard plactic and the ink from a pen won't stay on it and my wallet rubs it off.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Why is the signature line running in a vertical position on the right side of the card?

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why is the signature line running in a vertical position on the right side of the card?

To make it harder for you to sign the card.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Stupid.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, the fuc*tards make the card out of a very hard plactic and the ink from a pen won't stay on it and my wallet rubs it off.

WIZZO

+1

not at all legible, so i just made a squiggly line across mine.

for shits and giggles, sometimes i sign my 4473 the same way
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I only saw the faint line after a gun shop I visited pointed it out to me some 18 months after having received it.  They had me sign it right there in person before they let me fondle their merchandise.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The funny thing about this is that I bought an AR stripped lower with mine UNSIGNED and they never said anything.  Then when I went shooting somewhere else, they made me sign it before I went into the range.  

-J
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#9]
New recent development...

AIM surplus won't send me my ammo because my FOID address is my mom's address, and I moved here.  If I can't fax them a copy of the license with the new address, they won't sell me any ammo.

Nevermind that state law doesn't apply outside of Illinois borders, or that I technically am not living here permenantly or anything...they just won't ship the ammo here.

They're expecting me to pay shipping so the ammo can go to my mom's house 80 miles from here, and then I can go pick it up.  If I'm going to have to drive 80 miles anyway, why pay for shipping?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:12:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Goofy state law, your ammo is shipped to your FOID card address to make sure you are legaly receving it...bla...bla...bla...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

AIM surplus won't send me my ammo because my FOID address is my mom's address, and I moved here.  If I can't fax them a copy of the license with the new address, they won't sell me any ammo.

Nevermind that state law doesn't apply outside of Illinois borders, or that I technically am not living here permenantly or anything...they just won't ship the ammo here.

They're expecting me to pay shipping so the ammo can go to my mom's house 80 miles from here, and then I can go pick it up.  If I'm going to have to drive 80 miles anyway, why pay for shipping?

Did you send them a copy of your drivers license too?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  I've only got a six month lease here...so I'm not going to change my driver's license.  I still use my mom's place for my mailing address because I have no idea how long I'll be staying here.

I'm going to call them and if they won't send the ammo, I'll just never buy from AIM Surplus again.  I'll just ring up ammunitionstore.com and order some from them....never had an issue with their people....they even send stuff non-signature required now that I asked them in writing.

Goofy state law, your ammo is shipped to your FOID card address to make sure you are legaly receving it...bla...bla...bla...

Yeah, I read that.  Too bad the general assembly didn't know that they have absolutely no way to enforce that law.  How can a state law dictate what the resident of another state does?

Oh well.  There are plenty of places that don't get stupid about it.  It's not like I don't HAVE a FOID.  And we all know that an address change doesn't issue you a new FOID.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#13]
When they went to the "new" FOID (1st generation), they forgot to include a spot for a signature. Many FFL's required me to present a  DL or other signature bearing ID to comply with ATF regs. They included it on the newer cards as an afterthought - thus the location.

Quoted:

Actually, according to "rumor" Reichsfuhrer Madigan had a number of her staff calling out-of-state vendors to ensure that they were adhering to our FOID laws... some folks called it "harassment" or "intimidation" - especially when non-compliant vendors were threatened with lawsuits  & criminal charges, but I'm sure they were only doing their jobs...

Boy, I'm sure glad the wise people of Illinois elected Blago & crew to protect our individual rights!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

AIM surplus won't send me my ammo because my FOID address is my mom's address, and I moved here. If I can't fax them a copy of the license with the new address, they won't sell me any ammo.

They're expecting me to pay shipping so the ammo can go to my mom's house 80 miles from here, and then I can go pick it up. If I'm going to have to drive 80 miles anyway, why pay for shipping?

This not a new development.

Even though they are in Ohio they have to comply with the laws of the state they are shipping to because that constitutes “doing business” in that state. They could even collect sales tax if they wanted (thankfully most out of state companies don’t.)

AIM is one of the big wholesalers that the IL atty gen would be going after for violations. They are following the law, not being jerks. I’m grateful AIM is selling to IL. again at all.

Have them ship it to your Ma and pick it up when you visit her for Christmas.

JR
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  I've only got a six month lease here...so I'm not going to change my driver's license.  I still use my mom's place for my mailing address because I have no idea how long I'll be staying here.

I'm going to call them and if they won't send the ammo, I'll just never buy from AIM Surplus again.  I'll just ring up ammunitionstore.com and order some from them....never had an issue with their people....they even send stuff non-signature required now that I asked them in writing.

Yeah, I read that.  Too bad the general assembly didn't know that they have absolutely no way to enforce that law.  How can a state law dictate what the resident of another state does?

Oh well.  There are plenty of places that don't get stupid about it.  It's not like I don't HAVE a FOID.  And we all know that an address change doesn't issue you a new FOID.

Sounds really stupid to me. Why not just go down to the DMV and get a new Drivers License instead of bad mouthing Aim? I think I paid $10 or less to change mine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Because I haven't changed my mailing address.  My mail, my bank account, my credit card, and everything else is still at my mom's house.  Yeah, I'm staying here, but this is only temporary.  I'm not going to change my driver's license just for here.

I'm likely going to have them ship the ammo to my mom's house and just go and get it.  It's just aggravating that I faxed them a copy of everything and that still wasn't enough.  That is bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Ammunition store did not send my last purchase non-signature required, and I had asked them in writing and sent them a copy of my DL.  When I called to ask them why, they claimed it was UPS policy and nothing they could do about it.  I then called UPS but noone could verify if ammunition required a signature; I was transferred around for about 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I have got ammo before from cheaper than dirt and Natchez and never needed a signature.  It is only ammunition store that has required that.

It's impossible to have it shipped to my mom's and have someone be there (nobody is ever home) and at my apartment it's a crapshoot because nobody is ever here.

At least it's only 10 miles to go pick it up from UPS now that I'm living up here.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:31:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Seems most folks don't even realize it is there....
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Because I haven't changed my mailing address.  My mail, my bank account, my credit card, and everything else is still at my mom's house.  Yeah, I'm staying here, but this is only temporary.  I'm not going to change my driver's license just for here.

I'm likely going to have them ship the ammo to my mom's house and just go and get it.  It's just aggravating that I faxed them a copy of everything and that still wasn't enough.  That is bullshit.

If you had your FOID card stolen the thief would likely ask for any shipments to be sent to an address different than the one shown on the card.  Think this through.  YOU know who you are--they don't.  

My credit card billing address is still my mom's house.  Without the proper billing address, an individual couldn't use my credit card at all.

I just called AIM and they are shipping it to my mom's house and I'll just go get it.  Fortunately it's non-signature required because nobody is ever there.

This brings up an interesting question.  Can state law be enforced in Ohio?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Ever wonder how much easier life would be if you just complied with the law?

*disclaimer: This is not specifically directed at any one person. Just a general observation to make people think.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Ever wonder how much easier life would be if you just complied with the law?

I did.  That doesn't make it any less aggravating.

It's not that I don't see the point of the law.  If it was a firearm i'd have no problem.  It's just aggravating to go through all this for a few rounds of ammo.

Now the only debate is, do I buy two cases or three, or four?  How many cases do I have to buy to make the trip worth it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I just got some ammo from ammoman, without a signature.  So it appears that UPS will ship ammo with no signature.  Also it looks like ammunitionstore fucked up my order and then lied to me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I just got some ammo from ammoman, without a signature.  So it appears that UPS will ship ammo with no signature.  Also it looks like ammunitionstore fucked up my order and then lied to me.

The "Adult Signature Required" thing with UPS isn't UPS's decision, it's an option selected by the shipper, and only by the shipper. It's for when a shipper needs to guarantee an adult received the item. Not really necessary if they know it's an adult placing the order in the first place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top