Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2003 9:38:42 AM EDT
Or is that a no-no in the state of IL?

My dad and I used to load up our magazines, put them in a box, and close it.  It was then locked in the trunk.

Our firearms were also placed in the trunk, in cases, closed, locked in the trunk.

Nothing is locked with the exception of the trunk.

Am I legal, or should I thank my lucky stars that my dad is a damn slow driver?
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is for it to be legal by State law, the firearm must be either broken down in a nonfunctioning state (barrel or slide removed, etc.) OR it has to be in a case, shipping box, or other container (completely encased with no parts exposed) and unloaded.

By state law, you could have an unloaded gun in a case with a loaded magazine in the same case, and as long as you keep the case closed, you can even stow it in your backseat or wherever you want.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Weapon must be unloaded and cased. I think if you were to be questioned about a loaded mag in Cairo it would be a non-issue. God help you in Cook County.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The location of ammunition being transported, including ammunition being transported in loaded magazines, is not regulated if the firearm is possessed or transported lawfully.

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Ya know,

Seeing "are loaded mags legal ?", after I've spent  the last 4 years working with concealcarry.org and the CCRA to educate people on that exact point (along with the unloaded/encased thing) makes me wanna PUKE !!!

It's in plain english on the state police and DNR webpages .

THIS is why we have no CCW or Class III here in IL .........folks won't do the research..... they'd rather believe old wive's tales and what the Cop down the street sayss. And they'll stay blissfully ignorant when the next round of SB1195's  comes around.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ya know,

Seeing "are loaded mags legal ?", after I've spent  the last 4 years working with concealcarry.org and the CCRA to educate people on that exact point (along with the unloaded/encased thing) makes me wanna PUKE !!!

It's in plain english on the state police and DNR webpages .

THIS is why we have no CCW or Class III here in IL .........folks won't do the research..... they'd rather believe old wive's tales and what the Cop down the street sayss. And they'll stay blissfully ignorant when the next round of SB1195's  comes around.

CKMorley

Hey...easy the man asked a simple question so that he may keep his ass out of a proverbial sling in a less than hospitible political environment. Maybe I can help clear up your confusion, the reason we don't have concealed carry or class 3 in IL has nothing to do with law-abiding citizens posing simple legality questions on this forum. To the contrary it is because emotional hot-heads like yourself do our bidding and make us look like angry white boys to the media. Perhaps you should re-evaluate your attitude if you wish to represent and lobby for the civil rights of the citizens of Illinois. I am not sure I personally want someone who doesn't have the capacity to realize that this gentleman may not have known to look at the state police or DNR websites for the answers to his questions. For that matter, if you are going to puke over such a trivial question, what will your reaction be when you are sat in front of the Illinois Executive Commitee or for that matter the entire General Assembly? If this makes you want to puke, what happened last Spring when Daley and his cronies pulled up SB1195? Did you cry? Crap your pants? Curious as to what your bodily reactions were to that. It may very well be that you are not suited to political battles if such a minor detail evokes such a strong and hostile response. If you are going to represent my rights in Illinois I will kindly ask you to conduct yourself as a professional and a gentleman. When someone asks you a question, answer it with kind words and helpful information. Not all shooters make their entire life activism like you and I may choose. One more thing, brush up on your English. Please don't conduct yourself in this manner to Congress. I personally know several people involved in the orginization you claim to belong to and I don't think they would take too kindly to your abusive attitude. Now, would you like to answer the gentleman's question as you are a plethora of knowledge in regards to the state police and DNR websites?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I must apologize.  It seems as if I single handedly am responsible for Illinois not allowing CCW.

I apologize to you all.

CK, I especially apologize to you attempting to make sure that I had my facts straight, especially since I travel through cook county to get to the pit, and was unclear if there were any possible dangers to transporting loaded magazines with rifles/handguns in the car.  I simply wanted to verify that it was infact 100% legal to transport them specifically how I transport them, especially if a police officer pulls me over and doesn't agree that I am in legal compliance with the law.  Not all law enforcement officers know the law either, and I wasn't sure if some of them would react different then others, especially in cook county.

I did not think that my questions would offend you so much, nor did I think that they would turn IL into the anti-gun state that it is today.

My apologies.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, thanks Patriot for sticking up for me.  And thank you to everyone else who decided to answer a simple question with a simple answer without getting on the soap box.

CK, I thought I had met you at an AR15.com shoot at the pit.  You're response came as a bit of a shock, because I dont remember anyone I've met being such a complete asshole, especially to someones (my) face.  Guess its easier online...
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ya know,

after I've spent  the last 4 years working with concealcarry.org and the CCRA to educate people on that exact point (along with the unloaded/encased thing) makes me wanna PUKE !!!

CKMorley

obviously you are not doing a well enough job, or more people would know the answer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't even imagine living under such horse shit laws.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#10]
••••
Actualy, during the SB1195 debates, I wrote a  couple dozens letters, left calm, reasoned VM's for my Reps, and even took a day off and drove  to Springfield for ISRA's "Lobbying Day".
How many of the ARFCOM  Buffalo Pit Crew  attended ???? 5-6 ????
Most of the guys who showed up were ISRA regulars, not the EBR  crowd.

At the risk of being called a "whiner", let me say that I've been a  part-time-to-full time activist for  the last four  years. I've risked ridicule, arrest and even lost my job because the boss was an anti who got sick of seeing me on TV (I did MANY TV appearrences and print interviews during the "Fanny Pack Controversy" in 2000). I regret those now because they have cost me my privacy. Every time there's an antigun piece on the news, I worry that they'll trot out some footage of me confronting Dick Devine, or my anti-MMM interview  on WTTW's "Chicago Tonight".

You might also look back a bit and see who originally posted the summaries and bill #'s when Daley launched his antigun campaign last spring......Yes it was  not-working-hard-enough asshole me.

My apologies to the original poster. I took  4 years of  frustrations out on you, and I am sorry. I feel I've WASTED the last 4 years of my life working for CCW, etc.

As for my future.......From now  on........ no more activism  besides a letter to the editor or  my Reps here and there. I'll just be your average IL gunowner.

CKMorley

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Patriot,

BTW, I posted this a few months ago right here in the IL Forum.

•••••••••••••••••

From the ILL State Police
How can I legally transport a firearm on my person or in my vehicle?
Three statutory codes regulate the possession, transfer, and transportation of firearms — the Criminal Code,
the Wildlife Code, and the Firearm Owner’s Identification Act.
Under Unlawful Use of Weapons (UUW) in the Criminal Code, persons who have been issued a valid FOID
card may transport a firearm anywhere in their vehicle or on their person as long as the firearm is unloaded and
enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container. Firearms that are not immediately
accessible or are broken down in a non-functioning state may also be carried or transported under the Criminal
Code. The Wildlife Code, however, is more restrictive. It requires that all firearms transported in or on any
vehicle be unloaded and in a case.
Because of this, it is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, all firearms be
transported:
1. Unloaded and,
2. Enclosed in a case, and
3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.
•••••••
How can I legally transport ammunition?
Illinois law requires that residents possessing ammunition must have a valid FOID card. To transport an
unloaded, uncased firearm with ammunition immediately accessible is a Class 4 Felony.
The location of ammunition being transported, including ammunition being transported in loaded magazines, is
not regulated as long as the firearm is unloaded and encased, and the resident possessing the firearm holds a
valid FOID card.
••••••••••
Is it illegal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm?
No, if the firearm is unloaded and is properly enclosed in a case and the individual possessing the firearm and
ammunition is in possession of a valid FOID card.
NOTE:
NOWHERE DOES THE LAW REQUIRE "INACCESSABILITY" for guns transported by FOID holders. It's legal to have your unloaded .45 in a case with loaded mags in that same case, on the seat next to you.

Read the Brunner and McDade cases.
An unloaded, encased gun can be carried almost anywhere. Ammo need NOT be seperate and guns need NOT be in the trunk.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]

thanks for all the hard work ck, i know some times its frustrating. and i know you probably just had a bad day. no big deal. the real you came thru like the professiuonal you are. sorry for the jab.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:12:49 AM EDT
[#13]
No apologies neccessary..... except for my apology for going off  half-cocked.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#14]
CK, my apologies too. Thanks for the hard work and sacrifice. We are always on edge when it comes to this stuff. I was in Springfield for SB1195 too. It ain't easy brother but we have to keep fighting the good fight. Hope to meet you at the pit one of these days. Maybe we can laugh about it over a burger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top