Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/23/2003 5:12:56 AM EDT
What the hell has happened to this state? I grew up here and it used to be a very gun friendly place to live, we all know that's not the case now. Anyway, I live in Lake County on the McHenry County border and since the demise of Fox Valley, it's been sorta tough. Buffalo Rock is nice but like a 2 hour drive. I would really like to join a sportmens club but I mainly shoot black evil rifles and I don't need a lecture from someone sighting in their deer rifle (nothing wrong with deer rifles of couse) Anyone know anywhere good to shoot rifles in the area? Man we need a range up here bad, if I had the money I'd buy land just to open a private range. Anyone know of anywhere good? I was told you could shoot pretty much whatever you want at Gunworld, is that true? How is that place? I refuse to shoot at Bristol because of their ridiculous one round rule, that pretty much says to me my rifles arent welcome. Any private clubs I can join in the area? I was also told Bass Pro Shops won't allow evil black rifles either. What the hell has happened here? I miss Fox Valley.
HELP!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:08:15 PM EDT
We feel your pain. I drive 1hr 45 mins to Buffalo Rock as it is the only range I know of that allows all rifles and has a variety of ranges for only $20 for the whole day. Biggest advantage of Buffalo Rock is the "Pit" where you can let go and rapid fire your heart out where other places are just slow fire benches or shotgun ranges.
I know that the Aurora Sportsmans club has a 100 yard range where you can shoot your AR15, but their membership is something like $400 the first year and $200 the next. Quite expensive. I was there one time where they offered CMP classes and had Bushmaster rifles for the students. I've heard Sycamore Sportsmans Club allows AR15s, I may be wrong. They may be one of those places that prefer bolt actions and shotguns instead of semi-autos. I don't think their membership is that expensive either. Try calling information for their number.
I go to Gun World also. 25yrd indoor range decent for trying out new rifles or shooting in the winter when other ranges are closed.

ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:45:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmaLiter:
We feel your pain. I drive 1hr 45 mins to Buffalo Rock as it is the only range I know of that allows all rifles and has a variety of ranges for only $20 for the whole day. Biggest advantage of Buffalo Rock is the "Pit" where you can let go and rapid fire your heart out where other places are just slow fire benches or shotgun ranges.
I know that the Aurora Sportsmans club has a 100 yard range where you can shoot your AR15, but their membership is something like $400 the first year and $200 the next. Quite expensive. I was there one time where they offered CMP classes and had Bushmaster rifles for the students. I've heard Sycamore Sportsmans Club allows AR15s, I may be wrong. They may be one of those places that prefer bolt actions and shotguns instead of semi-autos. I don't think their membership is that expensive either. Try calling information for their number.
I go to Gun World also. 25yrd indoor range decent for trying out new rifles or shooting in the winter when other ranges are closed.

ArmaLiter

You know, I heard there was supposed to be a range opening in Huntley. Heard anything like that? I was thinking if 100 guys kicked in $1000, we could open our own range. I shoot FALS think the places you mentioned would have issues with that?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:22:20 PM EDT
I hear you on the drive to Ottawa! Went there today. It would be nice if something was opening in Huntley!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:49:15 AM EDT
Sycamore allows AR-15s,no single shot rule,just no rapid fire. You think you miss Fox Valley? I used to live 3/4 of a mile from it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:41:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jackinil:
Sycamore allows AR-15s,no single shot rule,just no rapid fire. You think you miss Fox Valley? I used to live 3/4 of a mile from it.

Oh I know I miss Fox Valley. What is there these days anyway? Is it still there unihabited? Is Sycamore open to the public? Can you shoot FALS, AK's stuff like that there? If it is private, how can you join? I am going to Ottawa this Saturday. Anyone else?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:02:42 PM EDT
If they are opening a range in Huntley that'll allow AR15s, that'll be great.

If it were that easy to get a bunch of shooters to kick in $1000 each to open a range, do you know how many ranges there would be in this state?
We got the Daley clan using every effort to keep ranges from opening, from zoning laws to environmental laws. Getting enough land where stray bullets don't eventually hit people and homes beyond the range is the problem
Some sportsmans clubs ,like Aurora, have wooden overhangs just beyond the firing line that force the shooter to shoot low and in case the shooter aims high above the point of hitting the berm behind the target area, the wooden overhang is positioned at a point where it will block the round from going high in the air and going to far beyond the targets.

ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:39:41 AM EDT
They've built houses close to the old Fox Valley site,nothing on the site itself.Sycamore is open to the public. I've seen AKs,M1As,Garands,etc.No 50BMG or full auto allowed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:06:57 AM EDT
Man, it must be rough on you guys. You don't know anyone who lives out in the country that's less than a couple hours away? Personally, I've never been to a "real" shooting range. I guess I'm really lucky. Honestly, I feel bad for you.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:36:00 AM EDT
Catch223, Where do you live ??? We could come shoot with you.
Top Top