Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2017 9:06:32 PM EDT
Company will be renting me an aprtment for 9-12 months before I move the family. Any areas to stay away from?

I am leaning to one south of I-80 right by the river. Based on photos/ internet research
Places to shoot? Just going to be me for a while as the girls are staying back here until next summer so need something to occupy my weekends.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Stay out of Sun Valley
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Company will be renting me an aprtment for 9-12 months before I move the family. Any areas to stay away from?

I am leaning to one south of I-80 right by the river. Based on photos/ internet research
Places to shoot? Just going to be me for a while as the girls are staying back here until next summer so need something to occupy my weekends.
View Quote

What's your ideal budget for a home?

Shooting is generally good but not 100% sure where to go right now with all the fire issues.  Be settled down before too long though...
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Budget is going to around 250. Been looking at outside Reno for housing. Dayton or fernley
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stay out of Sun Valley
View Quote
The highland ranch part of sun valley is great. It's just that you have to drive up sun valley blvd past all the meth heads to get there.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Fernley is pretty cheap but $250 for an apartment might be tough to find. Shooting is fine as long as you are on BLM land and you research what's down range. I think the only developed range in fernley is the mustang. I don't think the owners really open it to the public anymore.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry $250 k is for the house in fernley.

Apartment budget will be $1600 per month
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#8]
My parents have a house w/ 2car garage, in a gated community coming up for rent.
East Reno, Hidden Valley area...I think its called Herrings Landing
They would want atleast a 1 year lease, though
A house well within your $1600 appartment budget!

PM me if interested.....
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Budget is going to around 250. Been looking at outside Reno for housing. Dayton or fernley
View Quote
With a $250K budget I would look in Garnerville and Minden too before Dayton.

I lived in Santa Maria Ranch in Dayton and it was nice.  That was before the bridge was done too and the drive to Reno wasn't too bad.  Public range right outside of Moundhouse before you get to Dayton and wouldn't eat them but caught a lot of fish in the Carson.

Fernley's home prices are skyrocketing with Tesla, Apple, and Google moving in East of Reno.  If a commute isn't an issue I have a good friend that lives in Fallon and works in Reno; 1 acre lot and lots of nice homes well within your budget 20 min East of Fernley.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys for all the input.
Wife and I are heading out there mid September to take a long weekend and look around.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Where is work going to be? Reno? The drive from Dayton daily will get old if you're here for just 9 months. You're talking  about an hour daily one way and it could be longer if there is a crash, snow plows, or anything in the form of traffic from Dayton, minded or gardnerville. If you're working in Carson City it's a different story. If work is in Fernley I wouldn't want to commute from Minden or Dayton personally.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:36:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Work is going to be north Reno.

The 1st 9 months will be just me without family as work will wait until next school year to move the family. I currently live in Houston so a 45-60 minute drive to work is kind of normal.

Per MapQuest fernley to work is 44 minutes so I am figuring 45-60 on average.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
North Reno is a good area for a family and you could find a LOT of homes up there around $250k. You could also cut your commute to 15 minutes or less. I'd rather live in North Reno than Fernley unless my truck couldn't pass smog. Personal opinion is Reno has more to do than Fernley.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
North Reno is a good area for a family and you could find a LOT of homes up there around $250k. You could also cut your commute to 15 minutes or less. I'd rather live in North Reno than Fernley unless my truck couldn't pass smog. Personal opinion is Reno has more to do than Fernley.
View Quote
Agree with this.

I have lived Minden / G'ville for 30yrs and have rarely seen somebody commute to Reno for more than a few years before giving up or moving to Reno.

OP -
Do you have any experience driving in snow?
Driving 100 miles round trip on 'full bore ice gully' days will wear you down...

I bought a house in north west Reno 3 yrs ago for my kids to be near UNR. We looked at 26 houses so I have feel for the area. Zillow -> Zipcode 89503. You can still get house for sub 300K there. The hood my kids are in is quite, low crime, etc.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Good point guys. I am from Houston ,so no snow here.

Something I didn't think or have to worry about currently. Glad I hit you all up.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:26:48 AM EDT
[#16]
For your apartment budget you can pretty much live anywhere. The river area and midtown is really hip right now. Montage, 5th Street Flats (brand new), Arlington Towers, Palladio are all apartment/condos downtown and really nice. You'll be right in all the action. If you don't want downtown then you can't go wrong in the Northwest area or South Reno.

$250k for a house is going to be harder, but not impossible if you want to be in Reno. That price is pretty much bottom end right now. If you want to look outside of Reno then Cold Springs is decent and the newer area of Sparks (Spanish Springs). Stay away from the north Reno area (aka Oddie/Silverada/Sutro/El Rancho). Also stay away from the Neil Rd area.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For your apartment budget you can pretty much live anywhere. The river area and midtown is really hip right now. Montage, 5th Street Flats (brand new), Arlington Towers, Palladio are all apartment/condos downtown and really nice. You'll be right in all the action. If you don't want downtown then you can't go wrong in the Northwest area or South Reno.

$250k for a house is going to be harder, but not impossible if you want to be in Reno. That price is pretty much bottom end right now. If you want to look outside of Reno then Cold Springs is decent and the newer area of Sparks (Spanish Springs). Stay away from the north Reno area (aka Oddie/Silverada/Sutro/El Rancho). Also stay away from the Neil Rd area.
View Quote
I'd NEVER suggest someone move to Cold Springs unless it was a last option. My friend couldn't get home Friday night because they close the freeway off ramps to Cold Springs. Way too far, way more days of snow since you're 2-300' higher than everyone else and way too far out there. I'd stop at Red Rock if you're looking to buy a home in the North Valleys (Panther Valley, Golden Valley, Lemon Valley, Stead, Red Rock and Cold Springs) because I can't think of a time when Red Rock Blvd. was closed.

The snow was bad this year. We actually had some. Most of the times it melts off the highway while you're at work. Its a plus if you have a South Facing backyard because it will melt probably 100% of the time. A North facing driveway (with a South facing backyard) will have a few days shoveling 2-6" of snow if we get another 2017. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd NEVER suggest someone move to Cold Springs unless it was a last option. My friend couldn't get home Friday night because they close the freeway off ramps to Cold Springs. Way too far, way more days of snow since you're 2-300' higher than everyone else and way too far out there. I'd stop at Red Rock if you're looking to buy a home in the North Valleys (Panther Valley, Golden Valley, Lemon Valley, Stead, Red Rock and Cold Springs) because I can't think of a time when Red Rock Blvd. was closed.

The snow was bad this year. We actually had some. Most of the times it melts off the highway while you're at work. Its a plus if you have a South Facing backyard because it will melt probably 100% of the time. A North facing driveway (with a South facing backyard) will have a few days shoveling 2-6" of snow if we get another 2017. Ask me how I know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cold springs is a great little community but it freaking sucks living here. We had a semi emergency with my son and i swear the trip to renown felt like it took an hour. Hell it takes 20 minutes just to get to the golden valley off ramp. And it sucks coming up that hill when it's icy. F this place.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:39:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm selling my house in north Carson City if you're interested in that area at all.  Its a really nice place, $225k.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#20]
What part of North Reno is your work at (Up 395 in one of the north Valleys?)

traffic coming to and from the Fernley area during "rush hour" can be a PITA especially if there are accidents.

We live out north of Sparks (towards Spanish springs) and the area is great. good schools away from downtown safe for the kid to go out and play on her own with the neighborhood kids etc.
We had a hard time getting rental places to respond to us in a timely manner when we were looking around so start early (that may have been that we relocated from CA though).

lots of places to shoot they even have an app that you can download with overlays showing restricted areas and where you are good to shoot.
shooting map
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks guys for all the responses. Wife and I are going mid September for an extended weekend.

Then i relocate early October by myself until after the school year.

Houston to Reno is going to be a fun drive....

Figure Lubbock, Flagstaff ,Vegas and then head north for the road trip. Need my truck and some of my stuff.

AR pistols ok in Nevada?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:45:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks guys for all the responses. Wife and I are going mid September for an extended weekend.

Then i relocate early October by myself until after the school year.

Houston to Reno is going to be a fun drive....

Figure Lubbock, Flagstaff ,Vegas and then head north for the road trip. Need my truck and some of my stuff.

AR pistols ok in Nevada?
View Quote
All firearms are fine in Nevada. 

Houston to Reno isn't that bad, I did it about a month and a half ago, coming back from the Cola Wars. I usually take I10 into Phoenix cause I have friends there to harass, and then take 93/95 up to Fallon and over to Reno. Make sure you fuel up in Vegas, and top off in Tonopah. Check your fluids, tires, and spare tires. There are basically no services and very poor cell coverage for 450 miles between Vegas and Reno.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Lived in Moundhouse for 10 months.  drove to mid reno everyday.  45 minutes to around the Plumb lane area.  sometimes I would cruise at 90 mph though.  
Better drive than from any of the North Valleys.  
Don't recommend.  Sun Valley *(except Highland Ranch).   Anything north of McCarran Blvd *(395)  traffic is always bad.  Neil Rd. and surrounding area.  Area between Kietzke and S. Virginia.   East of UNR to downtown Sparks.  Downtown Reno.
Most other areas are pretty good to excellent.  
Haven't kept up on housing $.  but Tesla is causing it to go up fast. *according to what I am hearing on the news and Roommate.*(he has two houses).
if you look in east sparks to windfield springs, prepare for a pretty long commute.  not nearly as bad as the north valleys but there is no highway until you get to 80.
good luck and hope to see you around.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Guys,

Thanks for all your input. Heading out in 3 weeks,and will stay in hotel until I can explore the area a little more and find a place.

Wife and I went last weekend and stayed at Atlantis and drove over to Tahoe a couple times. Sparks is warming up to me quite nicely, especially for the outdoor shopping mall that has that Schells place in it.

Very cool but on the expensive side for a sports store.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:49:46 AM EDT
[#25]
The drive from Las Vegas to Reno has great cell coverage...as long as you have Verizon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top