Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 10:07:52 AM EDT
Has anyone put in for their CCW in Lyon County. I put in on May 24 and was told 6 to 8 weeks with 120 days possible. I called 2 weeks ago to see if there was an issue and the gal told me they are waiting for the state, that this is were the hold up is. I have read on other sites that people in Vegas are getting theirs in roughly 4 weeks and some in Washoe are claiming 53 days to get theirs.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this. Why is it that if you get pulled over they can have an answer for wants and warrants in 10 min for an arrest, but it takes 120 days for a CCW from the state.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Because it's the maximum allowed time.  Make people wait and fewer people will want to get one - at least that's the theory.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine took about 75 days. The lady at the office in Fernley said the delay is mostly due to how long DPS takes for the background check.

Sheriff Veil signed off my ATF Form 4 in just a few days, so there shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Lyon County = 56,000 people.

how long can it take, really?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
In Douglas, I got mine in 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine took about 125 days.  From what everyone I've talked to says, they're taking it all the way out to the wire on basically every one of them.  No idea why, when Churchill can get them done in 2 or 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Have a couple friends in Dayton who have told me 90-120 days is not uncommon.  Don't ask me why.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I live in Lyon County, Nevada, and on several occasions I have had direct contact with Sheriff Allen Veil.  Sheriff Veil is very pro-gun (he has signed off on several ATF Form 4 for me and approved my CCW application) and he has absolutely no problems with private citizens owning or carrying firearms.  So I can attest to Sheriff Veil is not deliberately slowing down or interfering with your CCW application, processing, and approval.  Sheriff Veil is not giving you “BS.”

Your need to understand that here in Nevada, the 17 Sheriffs all have very different levels of staffing and budgets that effect as to how quickly CCW applications get processed.  Example: While in Clark County taking fingerprints are digitally scanned, in Lyon County the taking of fingerprints is done the old fashion way, rolled ink.

Also, one needs to understand that with the Nevada Department of Public Safety and the FBI, CCW applicant criminal background checks and fingerprint verification is a low priority.  So often there is a delay is processing and approval of the fingerprint checks!

In short, the time it takes for a Sheriff’s Office to complete the CCW application process is not even with  all of the Sheriffs’ Offices and is based on resources and processing time, not the population of the county’s population and number of CCW applications.

I know you are eager to get your CCW, but be patient!  You bitching about it will not speed up the process or make Nevada DPS or the FBI move faster!    Remember, per NRS 202.366(3), Sheriff Veil has up to 120 days to deny or approve your CCW application.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Read and you shall learn!  There is more to the CCW application process besides a 10-minute radio check!

NRS 202.3657  Application for permit; eligibility; denial or revocation of permit.

1.  Any person who is a resident of this State may apply to the sheriff of the county in which he or she resides for a permit on a form prescribed by regulation of the Department. Any person who is not a resident of this State may apply to the sheriff of any county in this State for a permit on a form prescribed by regulation of the Department. Application forms for permits must be furnished by the sheriff of each county upon request.

2.  Except as otherwise provided in this section, the sheriff shall issue a permit for revolvers, one or more specific semiautomatic firearms, or for revolvers and one or more specific semiautomatic firearms, as applicable, to any person who is qualified to possess the firearm or firearms to which the application pertains under state and federal law, who submits an application in accordance with the provisions of this section and who:

(a) Is 21 years of age or older;

(b) Is not prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to NRS 202.360; and

(c) Demonstrates competence with revolvers, each specific semiautomatic firearm to which the application pertains, or revolvers and each such semiautomatic firearm, as applicable, by presenting a certificate or other documentation to the sheriff which shows that the applicant:

(1) Successfully completed a course in firearm safety approved by a sheriff in this State; or

(2) Successfully completed a course in firearm safety offered by a federal, state or local law enforcement agency, community college, university or national organization that certifies instructors in firearm safety.

Ê Such a course must include instruction in the use of revolvers, each semiautomatic firearm to which the application pertains, or revolvers and each such semiautomatic firearm and in the laws of this State relating to the use of a firearm. A sheriff may not approve a course in firearm safety pursuant to subparagraph (1) unless the sheriff determines that the course meets any standards that are established by the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association or, if the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association ceases to exist, its legal successor.

3.  The sheriff shall deny an application or revoke a permit if the sheriff determines that the applicant or permittee:

(a) Has an outstanding warrant for his or her arrest.

(b) Has been judicially declared incompetent or insane.

(c) Has been voluntarily or involuntarily admitted to a mental health facility during the immediately preceding 5 years.

(d) Has habitually used intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired. For the purposes of this paragraph, it is presumed that a person has so used intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance if, during the immediately preceding 5 years, the person has been:

(1) Convicted of violating the provisions of NRS 484C.110; or

(2) Committed for treatment pursuant to NRS 458.290 to 458.350, inclusive.

(e) Has been convicted of a crime involving the use or threatened use of force or violence punishable as a misdemeanor under the laws of this or any other state, or a territory or possession of the United States at any time during the immediately preceding 3 years.

(f) Has been convicted of a felony in this State or under the laws of any state, territory or possession of the United States.

(g) Has been convicted of a crime involving domestic violence or stalking, or is currently subject to a restraining order, injunction or other order for protection against domestic violence.

(h) Is currently on parole or probation from a conviction obtained in this State or in any other state or territory or possession of the United States.

(i) Has, within the immediately preceding 5 years, been subject to any requirements imposed by a court of this State or of any other state or territory or possession of the United States, as a condition to the court’s:

(1) Withholding of the entry of judgment for a conviction of a felony; or

(2) Suspension of sentence for the conviction of a felony.

(j) Has made a false statement on any application for a permit or for the renewal of a permit.

4.  The sheriff may deny an application or revoke a permit if the sheriff receives a sworn affidavit stating articulable facts based upon personal knowledge from any natural person who is 18 years of age or older that the applicant or permittee has or may have committed an offense or engaged in any other activity specified in subsection 3 which would preclude the issuance of a permit to the applicant or require the revocation of a permit pursuant to this section.

5.  If the sheriff receives notification submitted by a court or law enforcement agency of this or any other state, the United States or a territory or possession of the United States that a permittee or an applicant for a permit has been charged with a crime involving the use or threatened use of force or violence, the conviction for which would require the revocation of a permit or preclude the issuance of a permit to the applicant pursuant to this section, the sheriff shall suspend the person’s permit or the processing of the person’s application until the final disposition of the charges against the person. If a permittee is acquitted of the charges, or if the charges are dropped, the sheriff shall restore his or her permit without imposing a fee.

6.  An application submitted pursuant to this section must be completed and signed under oath by the applicant. The applicant’s signature must be witnessed by an employee of the sheriff or notarized by a notary public. The application must include:

(a) The name, address, place and date of birth, social security number, occupation and employer of the applicant and any other names used by the applicant;

(b) A complete set of the applicant’s fingerprints taken by the sheriff or his or her agent;

(c) A front-view colored photograph of the applicant taken by the sheriff or his or her agent;

(d) If the applicant is a resident of this State, the driver’s license number or identification card number of the applicant issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles;

(e) If the applicant is not a resident of this State, the driver’s license number or identification card number of the applicant issued by another state or jurisdiction;

(f) The make, model and caliber of each semiautomatic firearm to which the application pertains, if any;

(g) Whether the application pertains to revolvers;

(h) A nonrefundable fee in the amount necessary to obtain the report required pursuant to subsection 1 of NRS 202.366; and

(i) A nonrefundable fee set by the sheriff not to exceed $60.

(Added to NRS by 1995, 2721; A 1997, 1175; 2001, 612, 618, 2579; 2003, 8, 11; 2007, 3151)

NRS 202.366  Investigation of applicant for permit; issuance or denial of permit; expiration of permit.

1.  Upon receipt by a sheriff of an application for a permit, the sheriff shall conduct an investigation of the applicant to determine if the applicant is eligible for a permit. In conducting the investigation, the sheriff shall forward a complete set of the applicant’s fingerprints to the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History for submission to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for its report concerning the criminal history of the applicant. The sheriff shall issue a permit to the applicant unless the applicant is not qualified to possess a handgun pursuant to state or federal law or is not otherwise qualified to obtain a permit pursuant to NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto.

2.  To assist the sheriff in conducting the investigation, any local law enforcement agency, including the sheriff of any county, may voluntarily submit to the sheriff a report or other information concerning the criminal history of an applicant.

3.  Within 120 days after a complete application for a permit is submitted, the sheriff to whom the application is submitted shall grant or deny the application. If the application is denied, the sheriff shall send the applicant written notification setting forth the reasons for the denial. If the application is granted, the sheriff shall provide the applicant with a permit containing a colored photograph of the applicant and containing such other information as may be prescribed by the Department. The permit must be in substantially the following form:

NEVADA CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT

County...............................................               Permit Number....................................

Expires...............................................               Date of Birth.......................................

Height................................................               Weight..................................................

Name.................................................               Address.................................................

City.....................................................               Zip.........................................................

Photograph

Signature...........................................

Issued by...........................................

Date of Issue....................................

Make, model and caliber of each authorized semiautomatic firearm, if any...

Revolvers authorized................................................... Yes.................................... No

4.  Unless suspended or revoked by the sheriff who issued the permit, a permit expires 5 years after the date on which it is issued.

(Added to NRS by 1995, 2723; A 1999, 2094; 2001, 614, 620; 2003, 13, 2846; 2007, 3153)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top