Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 6:58:34 PM EDT
never been up there, but Glory Bigs says it's a good spot for shooting and a little off road exploration.  I have Saturday day free. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem with that place is, if you have other groups of people there also, you never know what direction they are shooting.  It is nice to practice long distance shooting though.

Oh yeah and there are more ATV riders out there lately.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The problem with that place is, if you have other groups of people there also, you never know what direction they are shooting.  It is nice to practice long distance shooting though.

The other side is where we are talking -Like get off the Apex exit and go away from where the atv's are and pass under the railroad overpass and then hang a left off road and truck up into the hills, nobody is really out that neck of the woods much unless they are rock crawling.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The other side is where we are talking -Like get off the Apex exit and go away from where the atv's are and pass under the railroad overpass and then hang a left off road and truck up into the hills, nobody is really out that neck of the woods much unless they are rock crawling.

I know exactly where you are talking about.  Been shooting there for 4 years.  And yes there are ATV's and even guys with remote control A/C flying.  Just giving you a heads up.  Gettin' busier out there.

edit:  If you are shooting prior to passing 93 you might still be in the no shooting zone.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I know exactly where you are talking about.  Been shooting there for 4 years.  And yes there are ATV's and even guys with remote control A/C flying.  Just giving you a heads up.  Gettin' busier out there.

edit:  If you are shooting prior to passing 93 you might still be in the no shooting zone.

Ok Gotcha' Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
no shoot zone

Nice link thanks -
By the way who is in charge of inforcing that no shoot zone? BLM? NHP?
(Dont know much yet moved here 5 months ago, been trying to explore as much as possible)

Cant tell exactly by that map but looks like we may have to travel a few clicks NW in the trucks to get out of dodge  I'll bring my Rino mark the trail with the GPS and check it when I get home.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I was just out there this morning, we shoot for a while and my son rides his motorcycle. We were there a little over 3 hours and not a soul was there. I like it out there , it's almost the only place I go to shoot.

I don't go shooting out there on the weekends ever. At the back of the dry lake where everyone shoots it is not a straight line and when you have a lot of people out there it doesn't feel very safe.
You will also sometimes have someone on an ATV out in the desert in the direction you want to shoot. I like it, just not on weekends or holidays.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was just out there this morning, we shoot for a while and my son rides his motorcycle. We were there a little over 3 hours and not a soul was there. I like it out there , it's almost the only place I go to shoot.

I don't go shooting out there on the weekends ever. At the back of the dry lake where everyone shoots it is not a straight line and when you have a lot of people out there it doesn't feel very safe.
You will also sometimes have someone on an ATV out in the desert in the direction you want to shoot. I like it, just not on weekends or holidays.

Bingo!

If you head up 93 a little ways there is a walled up mine that we shoot at.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#9]
i have'nt been in a long time but me and my buddies used to go farther north up to i-15 and take the moapa exit,instead of taking that left fork towards the valley of fire,i continue on the dirt road that goes straight from that turn. down a lil ways is a nice place right off the road that has a hill for a backstop and it is on reservation land,and i have never had a problem and noone has ever been out there when i was there on a sunday morning/afternoon.-fed
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:49:26 AM EDT
[#10]
The weekends are getting VERY crowded... more ATV's from the over run dunes are showing up all the time. There are only 2 small berms to shoot into on the lake bed it self so your kinda limited. If the berms are takin or over run by ATV's I either shoot clay's or go back up to the road and head towards the last transformer station... just before ya get to it there's a road to your left that takes you along side and down to a 20 ft high berm about 1/8 mile long or so .. you can get 50yds easy and on the end you can go about 100yds... unless no one else is shooting then you can get 100 yds several places. you can also take a trail/road from the dry lake bed that goes towards the mountian and go back into a box canyon... a bit rough setting up and walking to your targets but it's doable.

You can get into some mild 4 wheelin out there... nothing serious at all just a few narrow washes that are a bit hard to cross unless you have a short wheel base( I scrap my jeep frame on onehe
I'm out there every weekend... usually flying R/C planes and or shoothing. If you see my Blue YJ jeep stop by!

John
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Guys I guess I dont know enough yet about the area. I say that because where I was shooting your in a wash like a huge trench, the walls are 20'+ high, you could never get a bullet to stray from your own rifle far enough when shooting into the berms to be a hazard, others shooting is obviously dangerous. There are thousands and thousands of spent shells on the ground so it's no secret spot. Now I guess I need to explore the area further to speak on the mater without being ignorant, but I have been up there exploring about 6 or more times.
Thanks for all the info - I can learn more from you guys in 5 minutes that would take me weeks of exploring -not to mention I cant get flat tires on the web like those laser rocks like to give!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#12]
EDIT: looks like i have to bail, got a previous appointment.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I was out there last summer. We got off at the 93 exit and took the access road north for a while before turning left onto the lakebed and heading west until we got to the BLM fence. There was a couple of water heaters and what looked like the remains of an impala all shot to shit. We set up and were there for probably more than three hours before the only other person we saw that day rolled up. They set up about 100yards away and we never even spoke to them. Nice place, I was even able to drive my Intrepid all the way there. jedi.nevada.edu/gallery/IndRange2005

I live out on the south end of Henderson though. It's way too far. It's a lot easier and a lot quicker for me to just go up in the hills behind my house now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Never seen that fence before!  Fairly new.  That car was an El Camino and used to be in a lot better condition.  Let's send it in to Overhaulin'.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh the fence.... sore fucking subject with mehe
A bunch of yippee do gooders in BMW's and soccer mom SUV's/van's no less came out... oh... bout 6-8 months ago and built the BIRD HABATIAT fence around that dry nasty hole in the ground... since then I've seen a few birds fly by and mutter "who the fuck would want to live here" and keep goinghe
John
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Fuck Apex. It sucks. Every yahoo and their brother goes up that way. Besides the last time Animus and I went up there a friend of mine got stuck and it cost me $50 to get his dumb ass out. Even though you have to drive a while just going a ways out of town is better. When Animus and I go out shooting we make a day of it. Sammiches, plenty of water and were good. I think we bullshit more than we shoot. Anything close to town anymore just isn't worth the hassle. Too many red necks, homies and illegals out there for my liking.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#17]
What's wrong with the pit @ Sloan? that always seems to be the best spot for me. Although I've gone to Mile Marker 103 on the 95 the last couple of times.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Never seen that fence before!  Fairly new.

Ciouldn't have been that new, those pics were taken last year, around May.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I hope that so called bird habitat brings in some dove for September

Fucking yuppies...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top