Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 4:04:13 PM EDT
Ok well it looks like the marrige is going south quick.  I have been married for just a hair more than a year.  
How does it work in Nevada and should I get ready to kiss away %50 of my income?
Any help is welcome.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
GET A LAWYER! And make sure that he/she deals in Family Law.

I know first hand Bro, because I went through the house, car, belongings, bank accounts, child custody, etc. battering ram/roller coaster.

My first lawyer was in general practice and he almost cost me everything. Well, needless to say he royally Fucked-Up my divorce until I stepped to the plate and fired him and came up with the money to hire an attorney that practiced primarily in Family Law.

As Danny Devito said in War of the Roses: "In divorce there is no winning, only degrees of losing." Those words couldn't be more true.

I was involved with the Father's Rights movement here in Las Vegas for several years and I know some pretty good domestic attorneys. If you would like a referral please IM me. Also, Chiz45 might be able to put you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

Joe

PS: Keep the Ol' chin up.

ETA: There are a lot of issues involved that determine whether a divorce can be simple and quick, or long and drawn-out. For example: If you have property, several cars, cash, bonds, investments, children, etc, you will probably have to fight hard for what is yours.

If you don't have children and a few material items i.e. house, car, cash on hand, you can probably get away quick and easy.

Remember: A divorce is a tug of war. If both parties agree to stop tugging more often than not it can be resolved easily. If they both tug equally as hard it will be drawn out and expensive.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
nope only 1 car and no kids. But I got a sweet job that pays me bank and I hope she doesnt get alot of that.
http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_evilFrown.gif
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
nope only 1 car and no kids. But I got a sweet job that pays me bank and I hope she doesnt get alot of that.

That's better than having three houses, four cars, a boat, jet skis, ATV's, 700K in the bank and three kids.

Even though you don't have much to split up materially, you should still hire a good domestic attorney to protect the interests you do have.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_evilFrown.gif

i've got some referrals if you want 'em.  

However, if it's just financial, you might want to talk to her about the split, and TRY to do it amicably. If the car is the only titled asset, then you can break out a pad of paper, draw a line down the middle, and start dividing your stuff up. Lawyers in this field are typically $200+/hour.  For such a short marriage, i can't imagine any meaningful spousal support, if any is ordered at all.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#5]
You'll split the car and other assets, but after a year or less of marriage, you probably won't have to pay any alimony.  Lawyers are expensive so see what you can do to resolve it amicably.  On the assets, its 50% of what was acquired after the marriage.  Did you buy a house?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top