Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 8:02:26 PM EDT
Interesting questions are asked on the background scantron.

How many assault weapons do you own?

How many handguns do you own?

Have you had a gun in your car?

Do you have a CCW?

What the hell do those questions have to do with anything?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You're joking, right?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You're joking, right?

Nope.

On top of that crap, they tell us this morning that NHP is full and that P&P is hiring soon.  The least they could have done is sent a courtesy letter out stating that info to us ahead of time.  I didn't get too butt hurt over it but people that came in from out of state were pissed off and I can't blame them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#3]
It's just a Fucking game to them
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
This is sort of a hijack, but why do people apply for NHP over Metro and NLVPD ?  I was under the impression that both of those departments were currently hiring, but RDP would know more about that than I.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I THOUGHT NHP was hiring also.  I guess I like to buck the system and do things that others aren't.  Every damn USAF cop gets out and goes Metro.  I know one guy with NHP and one with NLVPD.  I dared to be different and fucked myself.  I could have tested for Metro this week instead.

Oh well, I guess I will test with Metro and NLV now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Those are more shrink questions than anything else.....

Why they are on the app is ridiculous. The CCW side you might understand since that does require a mini-background check.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:24:40 AM EDT
[#8]
ANIMUS- you answered no to all those questions right?  I think you may want to take that questionare as a hint, NHP doesn't need your kind. I mean come on, what kind of police department wants a guy who is a gun enthuisast who is competent with firearms and who cares about their personal safety? You know cops aren't gun people and agencies want people who will make it easier for them to hand out money to the bereaved families for their sloppy gun handling skills. You silly boy. You know, you've found a home in the Air Force. You can't leave us.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ANIMUS- you answered no to all those questions right?  I think you may want to take that questionare as a hint, NHP doesn't need your kind. I mean come on, what kind of police department wants a guy who is a gun enthuisast who is competent with firearms and who cares about their personal safety? You know cops aren't gun people and agencies want people who will make it easier for them to hand out money to the bereaved families for their sloppy gun handling skills. You silly boy. You know, you've found a home in the Air Force. You can't leave us.

Watch me  Even if my next career is "Want fries with that?"
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I want a liter of cola and no spit on my burger. No fast food joints will hire you because you don't speak Spanglish and you were born here legally. Wal-Mart won't hire you because your father didn't marry his sister. So that leaves you with only one option, Re-enlistment.  In all seriousness, I think you'll do fine finding work. Even if you are Phrench.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Dude, you should start testing too.  You might be able to get out early.  There is a lot of that going on now.  The next NLV academy date is in September and they start accepting apps for it next month.  I will try that and have a good chance at getting out 3 months early.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Ya, unless you have some good time in the military, slide on out.

NHP isn't bad......neither is NLV.

MPD and Henderson are better long term choices though.

It all comes down to what you want and expect.

Letting you out early?? I had 2 friends that they refused to release early. One was only 3 weeks!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]
When this enlistment is up in two years I will have 8 years in. Anything more than that and I would have stayed in.  I have an associates degree in criminal justice and I went through a POST academy before I went in the service. Here's the funny thing, I worked the road for 6 years and now I'm thinking I don't want a career in police work. I devoted my education and god chunk of my life to police work and now I'm not sure I want to deal with all the jack asses out there that I'd have to deal with on the civilian side. Another thing like what ANIMUS said, too many guys from our unit have gone to Metro and and don't want to work with alot of those guys. I'd work with ANIMUS and thats about it. He's the only one I'd trust.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ya, unless you have some good time in the military, slide on out.

NHP isn't bad......neither is NLV.

MPD and Henderson are better long term choices though.

It all comes down to what you want and expect.

Letting you out early?? I had 2 friends that they refused to release early. One was only 3 weeks!!

The things I look for in a department is mostly how well they take care of their officers and how professional they are.  Good pay is nice also but nobody gets rich in the LE business anyway.

We have had numerous guys get out early recently.  Most were through the Palace Chase program(get out of active duty early to go ANG) but some just got out period.  One of our guys in the squadron got approved because he got hired by the NY state police.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#15]
DefensorFortis- You are too much like me to do or want to do anything in an office.  I've been stuck in an office job for two years almost and I hate that shit.  You got a taste of that over the last 6 months yourself.  I think you just need to get away from the AF bullshit.  You'd miss working the road too much.  Metro is too big to worry about having to work with a few of the clowns we know that work there.  I heard Ibarra is doing pretty well.  Setting new records on Fremont street for making arrests.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm not trying to start a flame war but.....
Cops aren't "gun people" and the Air Force is?Give me a fu*cking break.....and WTF do you know about the training received in firearms by Metro?We happen to have some of the best training in firearms and tactics in the nation and that includes the training in all branches of the military.
I was in the infantry and special operations in the Marine Corps for nearly 10 years so I think I can say that with some authority.It is true that not every cop is a "firearms enthusiast" as everyone on this website is.But all officers receive very extensive training in the academy and throughout their career.Many Metro officers are "firearms enthusiasts" and many have served in elite branches of the military to inlude Special Forces,Rangers,Force Recon,Navy SEAL's etc.
I also resent many of the "cops are out to get my guns" threads here.The vast majority of officers I know are pro-2nd Amendment and have no problem with citizens owning/carrying/purchasing firearms.We just don't like the bad guys with weapons.OK I'm done ranting.

Semper Fi,
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Pro gun cops

At ease Marine!

No need to get hostile with him.  He actually has a reason to be irritated with local LEOs.  NLV basically felony stopped him because he had an NRA sticker in his window.  That is the reason he was given BY the initial officer that pulled him over.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:29:15 AM EDT
[#19]
SGT_GRUNT_USMC, Did you forget your cup of tough guy this morning? Obviously you can't recognize humor. I am a smartass with a very dry sense of humor. I also like to bust my good friend ANIMUS' balls. With the exception of a few knuckle heads in local law enforcement, I have nothing but the highest respect for the men and women who pin on that badge everyday. You'll also see that if you re-read my initial post you will see I didn't make ANY mention of Metro. You also will find that you didn't see anywhere that I said that because I'm in the Air Force, that sole reason makes me a gun expert. God forbid any Air Force guy would even think that!
I think its horse shit that NHP would even ask questions pertaining to legal carrying of weapons on your person or in a vehicle. Its also none of their business what type of weapons an applicant has unless they aren't legal. Also the level of gun experience and gun knowlege I made reference to has nothing to with ANIMUS and I being in the Air Force. We spend many hours and an even higher amount of dollars to ensure we are proficient in the use of weapons. I have been through several courses both in and out of the military. That doesn't give me expert status in some peoples eyes but, I think it gives me enough right to be criticial. Yes I would agree that metro does provide good training to their officers. But how many officers take advantage of that nice range when they don't have to? Its been my experience that alot of cops aren't gun people because they view that Glock 22 in their holster no differently than a construction worker views his DeWalt drill. Its a necessary adjunct to their job. Its a tool. It's sad that alot of cops don't train more with their weapons.  That said, I'll just stay in my lane as an Air Force weenie.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#20]
YEAH!  Like he said!

SGT_GRUNT_USMC-  Dude if you want to dog us out for joining the USAF that's fine if it makes you feel better.  I didn't think it mattered what branch of service you joined as long as you serve you country with honor and integrity.  I don't really give a shit about SpecOps or Rangers and crap.  Seems like every bar has an ex Special Forces, SEAL or Delta patron telling war stories.  No, I'm not saying you weren't, however I just don't care.  I could have kept training for CCT but I didn't care for that shit anymore.

And I might add that I am glad I live in an area patrolled by Metro.  So relax and take a deep breath.

By the way, if you/we allow our elected officials like Sheriffs, side with the anti-gun lobby YOU WILL BE THE ONES ASKED TO GO INTO HOUSES AND GRABBING GUNS whether you like it or not.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

By the way, if you/we allow our elected officials like Sheriffs, side with the anti-gun lobby YOU WILL BE THE ONES COMING INTO HOUSES AND GRABBING GUNS whether you like it or not.

That is a big NO!!!!!!

Just like I won't enforce other laws I deem overreaching or Unconstitutional
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#22]
That's good to hear bro.  I had just found that Pro-gun cop website and I wish they would get more publicity.

Fixed my previous statement for you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Interesting questions are asked on the background scantron.

How many assault weapons do you own?

How many handguns do you own?

Have you had a gun in your car?

Do you have a CCW?

What the hell do those questions have to do with anything?

Was this "background scantron" given to you before the polygraph? Or the oral interview? It must be very new because I have never seen it. IM me if you want.

Oh and you don't want to be a trooper we are not very popular
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I passed with an 85%.  See what happens next.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top