Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 10:09:33 AM EDT
Or whatever they call it this time around. Regardless if you think it is inevitable after 2008 (or 2006?), I am very interested in those that were affected by the 1994 AWB. Specifically did anyone have to give up handguns, rifles, magazines, and / or modify their existing firearms? Was there grand fathering? I did not pay attention in '94 (that overseas duty thing) and am curious as to other member's experiences. Please include what state you were in as there were variances to the enforcement I'm sure.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:33:56 AM EDT
The AWB didn't regulate possession...just further importation or production of certain evil guns, magazines holding more than 10 rounds, etc.

So, what you already had, imported or US manufactured prior to were legal.

End the end, it was a complete waste.....Although the AR lines sure have gone up since it was lifted!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:14:25 PM EDT
Most of what I possess (i.e. rifles, handguns, hi-cap mags, etc.) were acquired before the ban went into effect. Everyone knew that the ban was inevitable and saw it coming down the pike. There was also a gap between passage of the ban and when it was actually signed into law. That gap gave most gun owners time to purchase what they wanted before the ban actually went into effect.

Unfortunately supplies started drying up and by the time the ban became law prices were astronomical. One of my students (against my advice) paid $5000.00 for an 'alleged' factory Colt AR15. He brought the rifle over for me to look at after he purchased it. It was a Colt alright, a "Colt" lower receiver. Everything else was a hodge podge of parts from other rifles. I don't think there were two parts in that gun that were from the same manufacturer. The gun never ran right and he was stuck with it. Oh well, so much for desperation buying and "gotta have it now."

There is sure to be another ban attempt within the next few years, and if these mooks keep killing cops with AR, AK, and SKS type rifles we are sure to see another ban, especially if Billary or Al Bore gets in.

I would save my pennies and slowly purchase ammo, mags, lowers, uppers, barrels, etc, because another ban is always looming around the corner. Or you can just get into Class III. NFA items will probably be safe for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:34:25 PM EDT
Franken_colt, not cool. Thanks. ..
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:09:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:35:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ishoot2live:

There is sure to be another ban attempt within the next few years, and if these mooks keep killing cops with AR, AK, and SKS type rifles we are sure to see another ban, especially if Billary or Al Bore gets in.
I would save my pennies and slowly purchase ammo, mags, lowers, uppers, barrels, etc, because another ban is always looming around the corner. Or you can just get into Class III. NFA items will probably be safe for a long time.

Isn't McCain anti-gun, also? We are screwed in 2008.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:51:15 PM EDT
anytime there's even the proposed legislation to ban anything, prices on whatever it is skyrocket, and availability tends to dwindle.

after the ban is passed, prices tend to stay elevated for a while, and then slowly drop a little.

before the ban, Glock mags were $25.
durring the ban, they were up to $100, and G21 mags were even more ($135).
right now, Glock mags are $15

the '94 ban was simply feel-good bullshit, the only real result was to drive up prices and spurr some innovation in small <10rd carry guns.

most shooters didn't fully grasp the doos and don'ts of he ban, and a few intentionaly made "pre-ban" guns durring the ban to rip off the unknowing.

don't know if the anti-gunners will have "learned anything from the flop of the '94 ban... if they have, any future bans could affect the availability of new, "pre ban" parts or anything else.

so, IMHO, it's a good idea to plan part of your budget for "things that might be banned" and parts for them. don't break the bank.. but if you want it, get it before you might not be able to.

don't forget spare parts, mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:06:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fixer:
anytime there's even the proposed legislation to ban anything, prices on whatever it is skyrocket, and availability tends to dwindle.

after the ban is passed, prices tend to stay elevated for a while, and then slowly drop a little.

before the ban, Glock mags were $25.
durring the ban, they were up to $100, and G21 mags were even more ($135).
right now, Glock mags are $15

the '94 ban was simply feel-good bullshit, the only real result was to drive up prices and spurr some innovation in small <10rd carry guns.

most shooters didn't fully grasp the doos and don'ts of he ban, and a few intentionaly made "pre-ban" guns durring the ban to rip off the unknowing.

don't know if the anti-gunners will have "learned anything from the flop of the '94 ban... if they have, any future bans could affect the availability of new, "pre ban" parts or anything else.

so, IMHO, it's a good idea to plan part of your budget for "things that might be banned" and parts for them. don't break the bank.. but if you want it, get it before you might not be able to.

don't forget spare parts, mags and ammo.

+1
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:27:28 AM EDT
I am glade that I dont even own a gun
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:40:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GUNSAP:

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:37:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GUNSAP:

Everybody sing it!

"Plug it in plug it in!"
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:03:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wolfpack:

2. What if the feds say you can keep 'em but no more transfers (like Cali did with AW's).....yikes thats a worthless M-16 or MP5.

Worthless to other people looking to buy, priceless to people who already own them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:24:11 PM EDT
Especially since mine are company owned.....I would just sell the company!!!!
Top Top