Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 6:51:18 PM EDT
Hi all, I just arrived in Vegas a few months ago.   I'd like to shoot outdoors, and I'm probably going to join Desert Sportsman's Club.   In the meantime, can anyone give me directions to the closest legal spot outside of Clark County I can go for some shooting practice?

Thanks    

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#1]
OUTSIDE of clark county? Sounds like NYE or LINCOLN to me
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought someone was going to "sticky" this topic??

Those northern guys just don't care about their gold mine in the south
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I assume you meant just outside vegas, to the north you can go to the dry lake area past apex, to the south there is Sloan, this link explains that area quite well.  SLOAN
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Joe was going to but he's been busy at "immigrant" rallies.....
Joe, I'M KIDDING!

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Joe was going to but he's been busy at "immigrant" rallies.....

Hi Guys and Gals!

I just returned from the "Immigrant Rally!"

ETA: I'm the 4th one from the left in the back row!

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:19:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hi all, I just arrived in Vegas a few months ago.   I'd like to shoot outdoors, and I'm probably going to join Desert Sportsman's Club.   In the meantime, can anyone give me directions to the closest legal spot outside of Clark County I can go for some shooting practice?

Thanks    

Seriously, what part of down are you coming from? If you are in the NW, it might be closer for you to go towards MM103 or the Indian Springs range. If you are in Henderson, Lighthouse is closer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Target Shooting and Hunting, http://www.nv.blm.gov/
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the information, and for letting me know who I could turn to if I ever have any immigration issues.   I'm south of the airport, on warm springs in what I believe is the silverado area.   So far it sounds like the sloan/pits area is the closest spot to where I live but where is the lighthouse?  

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Lighthouse Rd is a left-turn off LV Blvd when heading south, about 6.1 mi from exit 25......
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I've heard people mention this lake bed near Apex before. Can someone give me good directions please? Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Just go up LV Blvd all the way past the base and speed way, then you will hit where I-15 and I-93 intersect. You'll see a two lane road straight ahead. Take that Until you see a big stand of vegetation. Off to the left there are some trails that will take you down to the dry lake bed. Follow the trail down until you cross under powerlines and then you're out on the lake bed. A good spot is way out on the west side of the lake bed. There is a berm and depending on what time of year there is a small pond out there. Just a few warnings, everyone and theier brother knows about this area, so theres a good chance you will run into a bunch of people out there on the weekends. Also in the winter and spring after we get alot of rain its really muddy out there. You can get stuck much like a friend of mine did.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Just go up LV Blvd all the way past the base and speed way, then you will hit where I-15 and I-93 intersect.

If you wait for those two to intersect, it may be awhile and probably much further that anyone planned on driving. It is US 93
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#15]
How about the strip...lots of targets and flashing light to shoot oh..to bad its in Clark County.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Lighthouse Rd is a left-turn off LV Blvd when heading south, about 6.1 mi from exit 25......

I don't see it on the map.    Where do you go once you find the road?  Is it accessible w/o 4 wheel drive?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I don't see it on the map.    Where do you go once you find the road?  Is it accessible w/o 4 wheel drive?

thanks

.......there are 1 or 2 trails on the left as the road heads east, then back to ridge line. Several spots back in the hills, all car or at least 2x4 friendly........be aware; gravel trucks also use road........
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Why not just join either the Boulder City Range or Desert Sportsmans and not have to deal with driving all over and encountering weirdo's while out shooting?  

Hell Boulder City is only $50 a year.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why not just join either the Boulder City Range or Desert Sportsmans and not have to deal with driving all over and encountering weirdo's while out shooting?  

I agree, I'm a DS member. $150/year and you can shoot 24/7/365.

I opted for the $650 Life Membership several years ago, so for me it's free.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Go North on 95,3rd marker after 102.

Weekdays shoot 1000 yards + tannerite..........

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Since I don't know these areas outside of Vegas at all, joining DS sounds like the best option for me.  I left a message on the machine but haven't received the application yet.  Does anyone here know if there are any days I can go in person and join DS?  I went by last Saturday afternoon but the gate was locked.    
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Ok, thanks.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah joining DS was a little frustrating.  The guy who teaches the class is Cas - he will call you any day.  You then have to take the 1 hours safety class, but after that, it is smooth sailing.  I love DS, it is friggin huge and very well kept.

Get to know Cas, the man has been there done that.  Ex Army Special Forces, 20 years FBI, former HRT Commander, Ruby Ridge, Waco, the whole bit.  He is a wealth of knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Get to know Cas, the man has been there done that.  Ex Army Special Forces, 20 years FBI, former HRT Commander, Ruby Ridge, Waco, the whole bit.  He is a wealth of knowledge.

So he was one of the murderers of Waco, and Ruby Ridge. Thats not something he should be proud of.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So he was one of the murderers of Waco, and Ruby Ridge. Thats not something he should be proud of.

WHATEVER DUDE!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHATEVER DUDE!!

I've got to agree with him, not something I would want on my resume. Does the saftey class cover anything on not shooting a woman holding a child?? I'm guessing not.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I've got to agree with him, not something I would want on my resume. Does the saftey class cover anything on not shooting a woman holding a child?? I'm guessing not.

There's no indication that Kaz is proud of his involvement in either event.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHATEVER DUDE!!

DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE REPORT REGARDING INTERNAL INVESTIGATION OF SHOOTINGS AT RUBY RIDGE, IDAHO DURING ARREST OF RANDY WEAVER

After ten or twenty seconds Horiuchi saw the target of his first shot following the other two people as they ran to the cabin. The first two entered the cabin through an open door. Horiuchi fired, aiming slightly in front of the last running man. The bullet went through the curtained window of the open door, fatally wounding Vicki Weaver and seriously injuring Kevin Harris. The sniper testified that he did not know that Vicki Weaver was standing behind the door.

So someone doing there job what they were told makes them freakin murderers.
I guess I too am a Murderer, and I also blow up baby milk factories.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHATEVER DUDE!!

DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE REPORT REGARDING INTERNAL INVESTIGATION OF SHOOTINGS AT RUBY RIDGE, IDAHO DURING ARREST OF RANDY WEAVER

After ten or twenty seconds Horiuchi saw the target of his first shot following the other two people as they ran to the cabin. The first two entered the cabin through an open door. Horiuchi fired, aiming slightly in front of the last running man. The bullet went through the curtained window of the open door, fatally wounding Vicki Weaver and seriously injuring Kevin Harris. The sniper testified that he did not know that Vicki Weaver was standing behind the door.

"I was just following orders"
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHATEVER DUDE!!

As far as I know you are a patriot that has very admirably chosen to serve our country and fight our enemies on their soil before we have to fight them here, and I thank you for your service.

Yes, the folks at Ruby Ridge were Murderers, plain and simple.

www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-lynch082102.asp
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

As far as I know you are a patriot that has very admirably chosen to serve our country and fight our enemies on their soil before we have to fight them here, and I thank you for your service.

Thank You for your support. I read the national review also. But I also read this
www.byington.org/Carl/ruby/ruby1.htm
            Which reads different. It was a big cluster F%$@ regardless, and I wouldn't want it on my resume either, but to call them murderers just rubbs me wrong. The Weaver 's were Aryans, not exactly the nicest people in the world.  Don't take me as being hostile, just a difference in opinion.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Alrighty then.  

I'm looking forward to joining DS and further improving my shooting skills.   I don't know what this man Cas did or didn't do at Waco, Ruby Ridge or elsewhere.   In my opinion, unless he specifically is proven guilty of a crime, his service to our country is untarnished, and he has my respect and appreciation.  

Thanks again for all the info, I hope to see all of you there.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank You for your support. I read the national review also. But I also read this
www.byington.org/Carl/ruby/ruby1.htm
            Which reads different. It was a big cluster F%$@ regardless, and I wouldn't want it on my resume either, but to call them murderers just rubbs me wrong. The Weaver 's were Aryans, not exactly the nicest people in the world.  Don't take me as being hostile, just a difference in opinion.

I don't put a lot of trust in the DOJ report, it was an internal investigation and the last thing I would expect to come out of it is for them to admit they did everything wrong, call me crazy but I see it as a biased report.

And the part in red, same goes for me, nothing personal, just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Alrighty then.  

Thanks again for all the info, I hope to see all of you there.  

Lol, very nice.

I'm a member there, if you want to check it out on the weekends, send me an IM, we can meet up & shoot.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:28:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I didn't mean to highjack the thread. Both of those episodes just piss me off because our gov oversteps it's bounds and they want to get in the "action" when there are other ways to deal with situations.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't appreciate you making comments about a man you have never met.  You were not at Ruby Ridge or Waco, therefore you really don't know what happened.  I don't care what your little report says.  

I don't even know you, and I already have lost all respect for you.  Look how quick you were to shit on a man you have never even met.  It is so easy to be critical of others, but the fact is, you weren't there.  Did I say that Cas was the one who pulled the trigger?  No I didn't.  But the fact is, he has a very impressive resume and he is a good man to boot.  

And yes, he has a whole lot to be fucking proud of.  Were you special forces? Were you FBI? Were you the HRT COMMANDER?  Have you even served your country in anyway since you seem to like to critize others who have and label them as murderers?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top