Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/26/2006 10:52:41 PM EDT
I know when you buy a handgun in Clark County it has to be registered and you recieve your blue card as proof. But what about moving here and the handguns you already possess. When I moved here I looked up the code for firearms and the only thing I could find was this:

2.04.110 Registration of pistols within twenty-four hours.
Any person receiving title to a pistol, whether by purchase, gift, or any other transfer, and whether from a dealer or from any other person, shall, within twenty-four hours of such receipt, personally appear at the county sheriff’s office, together with the pistol, for the purpose of registering the same with the sheriff. It shall be the duty of the sheriff to register the pistol, and he may, and is hereby authorized to cooperate in any manner he sees fit with other law enforcement agencies, and with licensed dealers, relative to registration of pistols, so that efficient registration shall be secured at minimum cost and duplication. (Ord. 242 § 11, 1965)

and this:

12.04.180 Concealed weapons prohibited without permit.
It is unlawful, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, for any person to carry upon his person a concealed weapon of any description, including a knife with a blade of three inches or more, a gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, capable of being concealed, without first having received written permission therefor from the sheriff. (Ord. 242 § 18, 1965)

Does anyone have a map that can show me the unincorporated areas of Clark County? Am I ok if I don't take it out to the desert, and just take it to an indoor range like American shooters?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:23:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2006 11:27:04 PM EDT by pedro66]
All handguns MUST be registered if you live in Clark County, if you have not done it go do it at any Police station do not go anywhere else with the handguns without first registering you are asking for trouble if stopped by a LEO.

This must be done wether you bought it here or brought it here, Just to save you time and argument dont even bother to try to argue it on here it has been covered so many times all with the same outcome, sorry to be so blunt but just trying to save you time and trouble

Read Clark County Code 12.04.200 below

LVMPD

Look here for places to shoot

BLM Shooting Land
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:06:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 2:50:25 AM EDT by ishoot2live]

Originally Posted By LV03TJ:
I know when you buy a handgun in Clark County it has to be registered and you recieve your blue card as proof. But what about moving here and the handguns you already possess. When I moved here I looked up the code for firearms and the only thing I could find was this:

Any person receiving title to a pistol, whether by purchase, gift, or any other transfer, and whether from a dealer or from any other person, shall, within twenty-four hours of such receipt, personally appear at the county sheriff’s office, together with the pistol, for the purpose of registering the same with the sheriff. It shall be the duty of the sheriff to register the pistol, and he may, and is hereby authorized to cooperate in any manner he sees fit with other law enforcement agencies, and with licensed dealers, relative to registration of pistols, so that efficient registration shall be secured at minimum cost and duplication. (Ord. 242 § 11, 1965)

and this:

It is unlawful, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, for any person to carry upon his person a concealed weapon of any description, including a knife with a blade of three inches or more, a gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, capable of being concealed, without first having received written permission therefor from the sheriff. (Ord. 242 § 18, 1965)

Does anyone have a map that can show me the unincorporated areas of Clark County? Am I ok if I don't take it out to the desert, and just take it to an indoor range like American shooters?

ALL handguns must be registered with the Sheriff in Clark County. It doesn't matter whether you are in an unincorporated part of Clark County or not.

As far as having a handgun concealed in your vehicle you are Ok as long as it is not concealed upon your person and you are not in the unincorprorated cities of North las Vegas or Boulder City (they both have separate, but mirrored ordinances).

If you want to carry a concealed handgun upon your person anywhere in the state (and that includes a purse, fanny pack, briefcase, backpack etc), you must first obtain a Nevada CCW permit.

Open carry is Ok in Nevada, although not always recommended (Nevada law is silent on open carry) unless you are in North Las Vegas or Boulder City (be very cautious with open carry in those cities).

Hope this helps.

Joe
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:35:33 AM EDT
thanks guys. Are the police going to give me a hard time since I've lived here a long time and never registered it? or should I make up a story like I left in Kali or something like that?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:52:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 2:53:23 AM EDT by ishoot2live]

thanks guys. Are the police going to give me a hard time since I've lived here a long time and never registered it? or should I make up a story like I left in Kali or something like that?

Just register the Friggin' guns and leave the stories for family gatherings....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:39:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:52:46 AM EDT
Register in Hederson they wont ask you and you dont need to tell them, they dont know somebody didnt just bring them to you from out of state.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:55:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:37:26 AM EDT

and this:

Missed a couple:
Henderson:

8.98.030 Concealable Weapons to be Registered.
It is unlawful for any person to own or have in his possession a gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed without first having registered it with the chief of police. (Ord. 67 § 3, 1954)

City of Las Vegas:

10.66.140 Registration of ownership required.
(A) Any person receiving title to a pistol, whether by purchase, gift or other transfer, and whether from a dealer or any other person, shall immediately upon such receipt personally appear, together with such pistol, and register the same with the Sheriff of the Metropolitan Police Department or his designee. It shall be unlawful to possess a pistol which is not so registered.
(B) No person who proves at trial that he received title to a pistol less than twenty-four hours prior to an arrest or the issuance of a citation based upon a violation of this Section, shall be convicted.
(C) It shall be the duty of the Sheriff or his designee to register said pistol and he is authorized to cooperate with other law enforcement agencies and licensed dealers in effecting registration of pistols to the end that efficient registration will be secured at a minimum of cost and duplication.
(Ord. 1952 § 1. 1978: Ord. 1881 § 5, 1977: Ord. 1216 § 2 (part), 1965: prior code § 6-4-11)

City of North Las Vegas:

9.36.100 Registration.
Any person receiving title to a pistol, whether by purchase, gift or any other transfer, shall within twenty-four (24) hours of receipt, personally appear at the police station, together with the pistol, for the purpose of registering the same with the chief of police. It shall be the duty of the chief of police to register the pistol and he may cooperate in any manner he sees fit with other law enforcement agencies in effecting registration of pistols to the end that efficient registration will be secured at a minimum cost and duplication. (Prior code § 7.23.100)

I've not found a registration requirement in the municipal codes of Boulder City or Mesquite.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:52:03 AM EDT
Thanks again guys I'll do it this week. I never did it because all of the codes I found never mentioned moving here with a gun you already owned. This is the first one that doesn't give a timeline of possession.

Missed a couple:
Henderson:

8.98.030 Concealable Weapons to be Registered.
It is unlawful for any person to own or have in his possession a gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed without first having registered it with the chief of police. (Ord. 67 § 3, 1954)

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:33:24 AM EDT

They won't even ask you. Just go in there and say you need to register a handgun.

BTW, the handgun registration stuff is pure BULLSHIT!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:52:11 PM EDT
For what little this adds, I am here several months a year. I walk into the sub station in Las Vegas on Harmon Ave I think it is and give them the guns and the ID, 10 minutes later after filling out the forms I walk out with the blue cards. What I find interesting is that it is done with a smile, not the learing I get back in good olde NY. I do understand my New York Carry permit is not valid here, and that sucks...
Top Top