Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn 444 do you need a hug?  Did you apply for NHP and they reject you or what?  You sound like you have a lot of anger when it comes to them.  Whats the deal?  

I support NHP all the way.  Keep up the good work.  I'm damn glad to know that if I need help out on the highway, NHP is there.  

And it is not safe to go 100 mph.  I don't care what you say, you aren't superman and things happen way too fast to react at those speeds.  Being legal has nothing to do with it.  It is called good old fashioned common sense.  

But like you said, it is your opinion and you are entitled to it.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
"Speed kills pal. Reckless drivers are more dangerous behind the wheel than idiots with firearms."

Really ? So, speed defines recklessness ? If I am in Germany driving a 500 series BMW at 100 MPH I am a safe driver because it is legal. If I do the same thing between Las Vegas and Indian Springs on US 95, I am reckless ? So if someone is going 75 they are safer than someone going 85 ? Why ?

Let's say you lose control for some reason, leave the road and flip through the desert. If you were going the speed limit, I am sure you would be OK. But, if you were going faster than that number, you are a dead man ? Let's say you crest a hill doing 60 and there is a cow right in front of you. You should be fine, but if you were going 80 you would be dead, right ? BS

Quoted:
"Ill bet your attitude would change pretty quickly if one of those "illegitimate" Troopers saved your life by pulling you from a burning vehicle on a rural highway."

And this might happen when ? What about if they saved me from a zombie ?

The difference between doing 100 mph on the Autobahn, and doing 100 mph on U.S. 95, is that everyone on U.S. 95 is going FRIGGING slower! That's what makes speeding "Reckless."

First off I am no rocket scientist, and you 444 are certainly no high school math whizz, but I do know that hitting a cow at 100 mph would cause more damage than hitting a cow at 60 mph. Same difference as hitting a brick wall at 100 and 60 mph.

As far as pulling you from a burning vehicle: Just keep thinking it can't happen to you.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
"The difference between doing 100 mph on the Autobahn, and doing 100 mph on U.S. 95, is that everyone on U.S. 95 is going FRIGGING slower! "
How much slower ? Because if they are all going slow, then we don't need the NHP to give out tickets ?

Let's face a couple facts: The majority of the people on the road are going faster than the speed limit. This applies in town on the city streets as well as on the freeway. So, the existance of the NHP isn't stopping speeding. It is just using it as a source of revenue.
People have accidents while driving. There are many causes with cell phones being near the top. Booze, drugs, tire blow outs are all causes of accidents. Speed is not however one of the causes of an accident. Something else caused it. I am not going to look up the statistics, but I think it is safe to say that thousands of accidents occur in Nevada every year. I wouldn't be suprised to hear that over 1000 people die a year in these accidents. And the fact that the NHP exists didn't stop any of them.
Would we have more accidents if the NHP didn't exist ? I don't know, but I would like to find out.

It was mentioned earlier that the NHP does all kinds of good things besides giving out traffic tickets. Ok, so what would happen if a trooper went a a shift or two without giving out a traffic ticket ? He could just say that he was busy doing all those other vital things that the NHP does for the public. I am sure that since all this other stuff is so much a part of their work that they would pat him on the back and tell him to keep up the good work.

So, you hit this cow doing 60 and less damage occurs than if you were doing 100. Ok, that makes sense, even to an idiot like me. How much better do you think you are going to feel after the accident ?

There used to be a commercial on TV about drug abuse. It showed a guy working in an office and he said, if I do more cocaine, I can get more work done and make more money. If I make more money I can buy more cocaine.
So here we have a government agency that exists to give out speeding tickets. They continue to spend more money to buy more and better equipment to give more speeding tickets which generates more money to hire more people and buy more equipment to give out more speeding tickets which generates more money....................................................
This is ridiculous.

It's hillarious to me that everyone jumps on the bandwagon of the NHP, yet the vast majority of people drive faster than the speed limit. Obviously they are in favor of someone else getting a ticket because no one else can drive as well as they can. Not only do the vast majority of the lay public speed on a routine basis, but so does the NHP. But of course, it isn't reckless when they do it. Only when I do it.

Here is exactly what I am talking about right from this very thread "My hats off to all the NHP guys out there - I just hope you don't nail me if I'm pushing the speed limit a bit."

Before anyone gets carried away, let me clarify that I am in to way, shape, or form, down on law enforcement officers in general. I am the last guy to be critical of law enforcement. But, I feel that the NHP is an agency that costs a lot and does minimal public good. The officers of the NHP are dedicated to their jobs but IMO it is a job that exists simply to support itself. There are certainly many other government agencies and programs that I also don't support.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#4]
How much of their time is solely dedicated to speed enforcement??

With all the morons running into each other that can't handle what it takes to follow at 5 mph in rush hour traffic, their plates are pretty full.

Everyone hates getting a ticket...........but the second some moron goes blowing by them, races down their peaceful residential street, or runs a light and almost hits them, they want a cop there to cite the other guy.

There are more violations than just speed and would guess the city guys do very lil' actual speed enforcement.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The faster you drive, the faster your reflexes need to be, the more time/road you need to stop, the more chance of going out of control, the more catastrophic the accident can be...

444, I see your point... and I admit I'd like to go faster than the posted speed limit much of the time, but *most* of the speed limits we have are reasonable, esspecially for the average driver. Keeping that in mind, if they upped the speed limit from 75 to 90 or something on US95 or I15, all the old people, truckers, and stupid drivers would be forced to "keep up" in order to not cause accidents and in the process they'd probably cause accidents because of their inability to drive at that speed... Not to mention the flow of traffic would probably be closer to 100 MPH.

You should realize that the interstates we have today were made as more of "trucking routes" and to help ship goods throughout our country with greater ease as opposed to help you go to Brianhead to ski or whatever... They serve a purpose for us all, but they were made with the truckers in mind... God knows they can't do 90 all the time, hell, they can't even do 75 half the time.

So, since you and I have to share the road with these "inferior" drivers, we have to do things closer to their level.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:41:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The faster you drive, the faster your reflexes need to be, the more time/road you need to stop, the more chance of going out of control, the more catastrophic the accident can be...

444, I see your point... and I admit I'd like to go faster than the posted speed limit much of the time, but *most* of the speed limits we have are reasonable, esspecially for the average driver. Keeping that in mind, if they upped the speed limit from 75 to 90 or something on US95 or I15, all the old people, truckers, and stupid drivers would be forced to "keep up" in order to not cause accidents and in the process they'd probably cause accidents because of their inability to drive at that speed... Not to mention the flow of traffic would probably be closer to 100 MPH.

You should realize that the interstates we have today were made as more of "trucking routes" and to help ship goods throughout our country with greater ease as opposed to help you go to Brianhead to ski or whatever... They serve a purpose for us all, but they were made with the truckers in mind... God knows they can't do 90 all the time, hell, they can't even do 75 half the time.

So, since you and I have to share the road with these "inferior" drivers, we have to do things closer to their level.

Why do you want to lump truck drivers in with "inferior" drivers?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:02:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you want to lump truck drivers in with "inferior" drivers?

I'm not calling them "inferior drivers" as much as I am saying they (in their trucks) cannot keep up with the performance of the guy next to him driving just about ANYTHING else. Do you see what I'm saying? Put any of us behind the wheel of an 18-wheeler and we suddenly because very inferior to the "four wheelers" out there.

In other words, the trucks out there are something to think about when you consider the speed limit because if they cannot do the speed limit you'll have a very serious problem.

Not a knock on truck drivers at all, just acknowledging their limitations in their vehicles.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top