Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 5:34:59 PM EDT
In a nutshell, my stepson may be moving to Kali to join his wife's family business. If this happens, I've finally convinced my wife to bail out of New England. I won't move to Kali for the obvious reasons. We're going to be out for a couple weeks in November/December time frame. How is the Reno/Carson City/Lake Tahoe area ? I've looked on line at a little town called Yerington but I'm sure the NV natives can point me in the right direction. We'll have about $200K proceeds from out house here and we'd like to build on 10-20 acres. I've always wanted enough land to have my own range and wife wants horses.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Yerington is more than 75 miles from the Reno/Carson area.  I have a friend who lives in that area, and we do some Jackrabbit hunting out there.  IMHO, if you live out there, buying land just to have a rifle range is a waste.  The whole area is surrounded by open desert administered by the BLM.  Go shoot where you want, and ride your horses where you want.  I know that concept is alien to people from East of the Mississippi, but welcome to the NV lifestyle.  

Reno, Carson and the surrounding areas are growing fast and becoming expensive.  I don't know the specifics of your finances, but if you are retired or semi-retired, your proceeds should be enough to buy a nice place in full in the Yerington area.  Things are much more pricey in Reno, maybe a little less so in Carson.  You need to be wealthy to live in Tahoe.  

Drop me a line if you need anything more specific.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]
So you are saying you made $200K on the outhouse?! That is fantastic!
Seriously, 200K in the Reno/Carson/Tahoe area is not gonna go a long way.  However, my boss is a former "Mass-Hole" and it was the best thing he ever did getting out of there.
I don't want to discourage you, I'd rather have a hundred Easterners who appreciate escaping the draconian society than 5 Californians who are upset they have to drive all the way into town to shmooze with the Homos at Starbucks.
Real Estate is through the roof right now. Be patient and dilligent. You'll be glad you did.

P.S. Bring Ding-Dongs, we're runnin' low.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
200k will buy about 80% of my 3BR/2BA 3-car garage 1450 sf house in Fernley. In town with a 65'X105' lot. Reno costs 20-25% more I think.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the point that you raise about not having to own the land you play on. It's really the only way here in CT.  Public lands here are incredably restricted. If I don't need lots of land, a couple acres to build the house and a decent barn for the toys should be fine. I willbe working for at least another 20 years so We'll need to be somewhat close to civilization. I'll bring lots of Ding Dongs and Little Debbies.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Prices have gone up an incredible amount here the last several years. However since late last year the market has really cooled. Now is definitely the time to buy.

An area you might look at not too far from Reno is the Virginia City Highlands. It is in the mountains between Reno and Carson City and about a twenty minute drive either way. It is a large subdivision that has 1, 10, and 40 acre minimum lot sizes. You have to be picky and check out carefully what you are interested in. Some of the lots are far from power and you may have to factor in the cost of an engineered septic. The homeowner association mainly tells you what kind of house you can build and maintians the roads. The main roads in and out are paved, the rest are dirt.
But you get a nice country neighborhood, quiet, the wild horses wander through and the city is the perfect distance away. There was talk of putting a highway through behind the highlands but I have not kept up with things up there.

Another that comes to mind is Gardnerville south of Carson City. Very nice homes on large lots and if you make a couple of turns and go down the road you are in in the hills with the coyotes, fire trails; plenty of room to ride, shoot, or cook meth
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:17:30 AM EDT
[#6]
After re-reading and consideration:
If you are not hell-bent on a large parcel, $200k will do you fine.
I am in the Topaz Ranch Estates area, just off of the junction of 208&395. 30 minutes from Gardnerville, 40minutes from Carson, 1hour 15 minutes from Reno (all conservative estimates). I am on 3 acres, paved road, 5 minutes from Topaz Lake/Walker river, 2 minutes into the mountains.
Bought the parcel and home in 1999 for $115K, valued now at $200k+ (based on going rate of real estate around us).
Other good choices: Gardnerville Ranchos, Johnson Lane, Indian Hills, Dayton, Fernley.
With 20 years of work ahead, you have plenty of time to pay off a home, and $200k is a good chunk toward that in a smaller place.
In case noone has mentioned it to you, we have no State tax here. Just another bonus.

And I decided we'd rather have Tasty-Cakes instead of Ding-Dongs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Another point to consider - The work you do may dictate where you live based on how far you'd like to drive.  Not all professions (other than prostitution) are represented adequately in all areas.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:47:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget that salaries in northern Nevada are nothing like those in California or Mass.

For the prevailing wages, housing is exorbinately expensive.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:12:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I live in minden which is between gardenerville and carson. things are expensive real estate wise but the price is worth the freedom.. I have a million dollar view of the most beautiful valley and sierrs moutians. some day my little $300,000.00 home is going to be worth  a million.

so it's not the price you pay now, it's the rewards of living here and the value you will accrue.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Fernley...25 miles from Reno and new nice houses run well under $200,000. Lots of open land out there. Nice small size town with the big city close enough. Minden gardnerville area is really nice...dont know about housing but probably expensive.

Quoted:
So you are saying you made $200K on the outhouse?! That is fantastic!
Seriously, 200K in the Reno/Carson/Tahoe area is not gonna go a long way.  However, my boss is a former "Mass-Hole" and it was the best thing he ever did getting out of there.
I don't want to discourage you, I'd rather have a hundred Easterners who appreciate escaping the draconian society than 5 Californians who are upset they have to drive all the way into town to shmooze with the Homos at Starbucks.
Real Estate is through the roof right now. Be patient and dilligent. You'll be glad you did.

P.S. Bring Ding-Dongs, we're runnin' low.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top