Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 6:52:18 AM EDT
i accidentally posted this in the 10/22 forum so hopefully they will delete the other one (i promise i am not double posting on purpose)

what's the best way to scare um up out here.  just walk around..........drive around......sit near a guzzler.........?

course there are lots of ground squirrels around but i haven't seen much of either them or rabbits lately.  

is is still a little too cold? days too short?

got a somehwat tricked out 10/22, finally sited in where i like it and thinkin bout more maybe somethin more than paper.  
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e94/waterman7474/SnowDay02-19-06002.jpg
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Where you at in Nevada?  Down south we used to go spotlighting them at night.  Just get way out in the desert and slowly drive down a old dirt road with the spotlight, you will see plenty.  During the day, a little bit higher elevations seem to work better.  Get up in some good sage brush flats and start walking.  Be ready because they will run like crazy.

I was talking with a game warden the other day, and he was saying that jackrabbits have cycles.  Some years their numbers are very high, other years they are low.  He said we are in a low cycle right now.  The high cycle was 3-5 years ago.  I can remember shooting 200 in one night up north.  I was up there the other day and only saw a few.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#2]
And I am sure you told him about the spotlighting idea

We used to do it all the time.....in fact, we even called the Nye county SO to make sure it was OK. We were mainly helping out a farmer.

Nye county didn't care, but NDOW sure would of.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#3]
The cycles also affect the coyote population. When the Rabbits are diminished, the coyotes will be short on food and begin getting desparate (i.e.easier to hunt) and dying off. Which leads to an increase in the rabbit population. Which means more food for the coyotes, who will begin depleating the rabit population, and so on.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#4]
kill alot threw out the winter in hay fields, walking or driving works fine. when it gets warm go out about a hour after dark in your truck and spotlight them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#5]
i am in s. vegas
thanks, any more ideas are helpful.  

and i think you can spotlight them.  
this is from the NDOW site NDOW

Nevada Counties That DO NOT Prohibit Shooting at Night or Spotlighting in the Unincorporated Areas of the County:

1. Churchill County
        2. Lyon County (see section 7.02.02 - Discharge of weapons in congested area)
        3. Humbodlt County
        4. Douglas County (see 9.68.030 Discharge of Firearms)
        5. Mineral County
        6. Nye County (see section 9.16.010 Discharge Prohibited)
        7. Esmeralda County (must be at least one mile away from an occupied residence)
        8. Carson City County ( see chapter 8.12 Firearms and 8.12.010 Discharge of Firearms unlawful)
        9. Storey County (see Chapter 9.16 Weapons)
       10. Clark County (see ordinance on congested areas)
       11. Lincoln County ( see ordinance on congested or incorporated areas)

now it also says that you can only hunt game animals from dawn to dusk.....so..........i am assuming that these don't come under that category  (since you don't need a license to hunt them anyway)

yeah?

funny you say that about the cycles, i just moved out here from s. houston and i would see the same thing w/ fishing on the coast.  the hot areas would rotate around in cycles (east bay, sabine lake, trinity, jetties, west bay, matagorda, then back in reverse)
this is what happens when it is good a the jetties- we EASILY put 20+ of these in the boat that day and 2 20+lb permit that we were too excited to take pictures of.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e94/waterman7474/102_0213b.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e94/waterman7474/102_0201_r1.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e94/waterman7474/102_0204_r1.jpg

we also boated a ton of spanish macs (lost count after 30).  went through at least $40 in tackle, broke 2 reels, almost lost 1 finger to a mac, 2qts shrimp,  $20 in shad, and $60 in mex beer.  

a day like that makes bass fishing seem pretty stupid!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#6]
In regards to:

Quoted:
And I am sure you told him about the spotlighting ideahe
Nye county didn't care, but NDOW sure would of.

http://www.ndow.org/hunt/seasons/fur/coyote.shtm#night

Nevada Counties That DO NOT Prohibit Shooting at Night or Spotlighting in the Unincorporated Areas of the County:

Churchill County
Lyon County (see section 7.02.02 - Discharge of weapons in congested area)
Humbodlt County
Douglas County (see 9.68.030 Discharge of Firearms)
Mineral County
Nye County (see section 9.16.010 Discharge Prohibited)
Esmeralda County (must be at least one mile away from an occupied residence)
Carson City County ( see chapter 8.12 Firearms and 8.12.010 Discharge of Firearms unlawful)
Storey County (see Chapter 9.16 Weapons)
Clark County (see ordinance on congested areas)
Lincoln County ( see ordinance on congested or incorporated areas)

Patrick
oddsman
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#7]
thats a big fuckin gold fish ya caught there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Those first two pics look photochopped.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup, I sure did talk to the warden about spotlighting.  He even gave me some good locations to scout out.  As posted above, it is perfectly LEGAL in most counties, including Clark.  Just make sure it is not within the Vegas valley.  Over the years, I have actually run into 3 different wardens while either spotlighting at night, or right at the crack of dawn.  None had a problem at all - although they did encourage is to be as safe as possible and to make sure you know what you are shooting at.

In fact spotlighting is probably the best way to hunt jacks down here.  The desert is so sparse, if you park and just start wakjing, you may see 1 all day.  Come back down a dirt road in the same area at night, and you will probably see 20.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to spot Jacks on the powerline roads at Loran Pass, about 10 miles South of Searchlight. I also used to spot on Christmas Tree Pass and West of CalNevAri. Get down there about a night or two after a good rain and it's Jack Bunny galore!

I haven't been down there in a while though. Maybe we should organize a spotlightin' party Scot45.

ETA: I've seen a few of these over the years but I have never been able to bag one. Maybe on my next spotlighting trip I'll get lucky.

SOUTHWESTERN JACKALOPE

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I WOULD LOVE TO GET IN ON A HUNT, kinda new to this and it would be nice to go w/ some people that know the area.  

Quoted:

SOUTHWESTERN JACKALOPE
img63.imageshack.us/img63/8028/jackalope5wq.jpg

now that's a sweet photo shop job.  

but mine, uh....no.  i have plenty more, and some video if you want, i can email them to ya.  the fall redfish run along the gulf coast is no joke.  can't wait till this year.  

that's what those are, although, they are sometimes silver, depending on what they've been eating: shad-sliver, crabs and shrimp-gold.  those are bull males during the spawning run, you don't keep them and they are no good to eat (full of worms),keep 'em under 28in.  you've seen the redfish cup on espn.  the bulls are just a LOT of fun to catch, 10-20 min of pullin.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I WOULD LOVE TO GET IN ON A HUNT, kinda new to this and it would be nice to go w/ some people that know the area.  

Quoted:

SOUTHWESTERN JACKALOPE
img63.imageshack.us/img63/8028/jackalope5wq.jpg

now that's a sweet photo shop job.  

but mine, uh....no.  i have plenty more, and some video if you want, i can email them to ya.  the fall redfish run along the gulf coast is no joke.  can't wait till this year.  

that's what those are, although, they are sometimes silver, depending on what they've been eating: shad-sliver, crabs and shrimp-gold.  those are bull males during the spawning run, you don't keep them and they are no good to eat (full of worms),keep 'em under 28in.  you've seen the redfish cup on espn.  the bulls are just a LOT of fun to catch, 10-20 min of pullin.

Um,

I never knew that the Jackalope ran along the Gulf Coast and ate shad-sliver, crabs and shrimp-gold.

Does this mean that I need to travel to the Gulf Coast to bag my first Jackylope? Damn Scot45, now we have to hire a boat to spotlight those critters!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#14]
ok, ok

so are we gonna put somethin together or what
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#15]
nope we sure the fuck arnt.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#16]
This is the part I was talking about.....

NRS 503.150   Manner of hunting game birds or mammals.

1.  Unless otherwise specified by commission regulation, it is unlawful to hunt:
     (f) Any game bird or game mammal with the aid of any artificial light.

But there is no current regulation on jack rabbits, so I would say they were OK. I seem to remember something before, but it could have been just some bad info from NDOW.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:17:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ok, ok

so are we gonna put somethin together or what

Where are you at in Nevada waterman?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:31:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
i am in s. vegas
thanks, any more ideas are helpful.  

and i think you can spotlight them.  
this is from the NDOW site NDOW

1. Churchill County
        2. Lyon County (see section 7.02.02 - Discharge of weapons in congested area)
        3. Humbodlt County
        4. Douglas County (see 9.68.030 Discharge of Firearms)
        5. Mineral County
        6. Nye County (see section 9.16.010 Discharge Prohibited)
        7. Esmeralda County (must be at least one mile away from an occupied residence)
        8. Carson City County ( see chapter 8.12 Firearms and 8.12.010 Discharge of Firearms unlawful)
        9. Storey County (see Chapter 9.16 Weapons)
       10. Clark County (see ordinance on congested areas)
       11. Lincoln County ( see ordinance on congested or incorporated areas)

now it also says that you can only hunt game animals from dawn to dusk.....so..........i am assuming that these don't come under that category  (since you don't need a license to hunt them anyway)

yeah?

funny you say that about the cycles, i just moved out here from s. houston and i would see the same thing w/ fishing on the coast.  the hot areas would rotate around in cycles (east bay, sabine lake, trinity, jetties, west bay, matagorda, then back in reverse)
this is what happens when it is good a the jetties- we EASILY put 20+ of these in the boat that day and 2 20+lb permit that we were too excited to take pictures of.
i37.photobucket.com/albums/e94/waterman7474/102_0213b.jpg
i37.photobucket.com/albums/e94/waterman7474/102_0201_r1.jpg
i37.photobucket.com/albums/e94/waterman7474/102_0204_r1.jpg

we also boated a ton of spanish macs (lost count after 30).  went through at least $40 in tackle, broke 2 reels, almost lost 1 finger to a mac, 2qts shrimp,  $20 in shad, and $60 in mex beer.  

a day like that makes bass fishing seem pretty stupid!

NICE ASS PUPPY DRUM. Damn I miss fishing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
nope we sure the fuck arnt.

cough, cough, cough, cough, dick, cough, cough,
ishot, i am right around warm sprn and decatur, s. side
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#21]
While night hunting is legal in most the southern counties, just remember the huning regulations. No loaded guns in or on a vehicle (this means staning in the bedo of  the truck or resting across the hood or door jams). No shooting from or across a road. Where this one gets tricky is what is the definition of a road and who will be doing the interpritation of said definition).  Most counties that dont allow night hunting dont actually come out and say as suck. They hide it in regulations stating no discharge of fire arms after sundown and the like.
Yeah, my spelling sucks. Get over it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I say we organize a huntin' party and give the Searchlight area a try.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
This is the part I was talking about.....

NRS 503.150   Manner of hunting game birds or mammals.

1.  Unless otherwise specified by commission regulation, it is unlawful to hunt:
     (f) Any game bird or game mammal with the aid of any artificial light.

But there is no current regulation on jack rabbits, so I would say they were OK. I seem to remember something before, but it could have been just some bad info from NDOW.

Black tailed Jackrabbits are officially unprotected and therefore not game animals.  Cottontails are a different story...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh Yeah!! Let's go.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh Yeah!! Let's go.

Dan,

Let's start a running list of those who are interested. I'll start the list below this post and then we can update it with bumps.

If anybody wants to go just post "I'm in" and I'll add your name to the list.....

ETA: Better yet. I'll start a new thread and those that want to go can put their names in that post. It will be easier to update it and bump it that way.

Here's the new thread: Varmint Huntin' Party Participant List

Thanks.

Joe
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top