Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/20/2006 5:21:56 PM EDT
I have a couple of American flags that have flown in front of my house over the years. They have faded due to the sun and wind and I would like to properly and respectfully dispose of them.

I know that Clark County has an open fire restriction so burning them myself in my backyard is not an option.

Someone told me a while ago that I could drop them off to any VFW and they will dispose of them properly on Flag Day, but I really haven't looked into that yet.

Someone else told me that I could always burn them the next time I go camping and make a campfire, or I could burn them in my woodburning fireplace. Both of those options seem improper.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Joe

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:14:40 PM EDT
Since it has to deal with free speech and any moron can burn a flag in disrespect in public, I say burn it yourself.

I can't remember the exact rules though.......
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:20:13 PM EDT
I think you can turn them in to the Post Office also.

Free speech or not, I don't think I could burn a flag myself.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:10:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:01:31 PM EDT
The proper way (by regulation) is to cut the union (blue field of white stars) away from the stripes.

This creates an entity that is no longer a flag.

Once you have separated same, you may burn it in two different fires. DO NOT TOSS them into the same flame.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:51:47 PM EDT
wow... I've never heard of cutting it... i'm not saying it's wrong, but it seems a little disrespectful to me.

I somehow ended up with several flags from my work that needed to be distroyed. I was going to take them to the VFW, but never got around to it. I finally just burned them as respectfully as possible one at a time in my back yard.

nylon takes forever to burn
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:19:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 6:18:31 AM EDT by variable]

Originally Posted By Blazin413:
wow... I've never heard of cutting it... i'm not saying it's wrong, but it seems a little disrespectful to me.

Your thoughts are considered but incorrect. Don't worry, it's OK most people haven't heard of it.

Ask the geezers or scouts.

I used to to teach/certify the class. Yes, most red taped organizations/govt. entities had to have their personnel OK'd by some assclown over the matter.

Sad but true. At one time I was one of the Civil Air Patrol idiots who did the blessings. Here are a crew of good kids who I instructed May time of 1987......I am originally from Pittsburgh PA.

Seems like they are still at it.........

post369.columbus.oh.us/scouting.d/flag.d/flag.retire.html

It IS very heart felt to see these kids perform their cerimony. They still believe in the USA, freedom, etc.. Their constitution really makes me remember why I joined the Armed Carnival.

V
OUT
Top Top