Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 5:21:56 PM EDT
I have a couple of American flags that have flown in front of my house over the years. They have faded due to the sun and wind and I would like to properly and respectfully dispose of them.

I know that Clark County has an open fire restriction so burning them myself in my backyard is not an option.

Someone told me a while ago that I could drop them off to any VFW and they will dispose of them properly on Flag Day, but I really haven't looked into that yet.

Someone else told me that I could always burn them the next time I go camping and make a campfire, or I could burn them in my woodburning fireplace. Both of those options seem improper.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Joe

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Since it has to deal with free speech and any moron can burn a flag in disrespect in public, I say burn it yourself.

I can't remember the exact rules though.......
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you can turn them in to the Post Office also.  

Free speech or not, I don't think I could burn a flag myself.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The proper way (by regulation) is to cut the union (blue field of white stars) away from the stripes.

This creates an entity that is no longer a flag.

Once you have separated same, you may burn it in two different fires. DO NOT TOSS them into the same flame.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#5]
wow... I've never heard of cutting it... i'm not saying it's wrong, but it seems a little disrespectful to me.

I somehow ended up with several flags from my work that needed to be distroyed. I was going to take them to the VFW, but never got around to it. I finally just burned them as respectfully as possible one at a time in my back yard.

nylon takes forever to burn
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
wow... I've never heard of cutting it... i'm not saying it's wrong, but it seems a little disrespectful to me.

Your thoughts are considered but incorrect. Don't worry, it's OK most people haven't heard of it.

Ask the geezers or scouts.

I used to to teach/certify the class. Yes, most red taped organizations/govt. entities had to have their personnel OK'd by some assclown over the matter.

Sad but true.  At one time I was one of the Civil Air Patrol idiots who did the blessings.  Here are a crew of good kids who I instructed May time of 1987......I am originally from Pittsburgh PA.

Seems like they are still at it.........

post369.columbus.oh.us/scouting.d/flag.d/flag.retire.html

It IS very heart felt to see these kids perform their cerimony.  They still believe in the USA, freedom, etc..  Their constitution really makes me remember why I joined the Armed Carnival.

V
OUT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top