Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/13/2006 12:52:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You know, on my way down, I got to thinkin' how great it'd be for us North guys to get together and do a Ghost Town Jeep Trip Camp-n-Shoot sort of multi-week vacation-style event.

But then I remembered that I'm the only one in the whole dang state without a job or family or obligations so doing so would be, from a logistics standpoint - moot.

Alas, t'would be fun though.

And that 180 bucks I spent on the fucking motel room across the street from the North Las Vegas jailhouse could have gone to a case of .223 and a bitchin' tent, you know the kind that like pop themselves open when you throw them up into the air? I'll be bitter about this for months.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#2]
that sounds cool,
keep us posted.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I would be interested and would like to bring my son (11yrs old) if that would fit into the plans. My 2 cents are to head up north a little bit and do it before it gets too hot.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tag.

What?

I'm NOT going to camp...but there ARE nice hotels there...

And I DO want to shoot.

Gunbert (I think) promised Tannerite
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#8]
That was just a LITTLE......TMI.

eta: You have NO idea how close that came to being my sig.

But...I'll be nice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#9]
We're in..................yea up north a little or maybe by Area51, then non campers can stay with the aliens.   OR even half way up north is fine with me.  Gunmonkey or others might know a place.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I think Hawthorne is about half way up...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#11]
There's a place called Goldpoint which is a bit south of Goldfield along HWY 95 that holds a special distinction for me. I almost got killed there ^_______^ (dirt bike wreck out in the middle of nowhere, awesome). It's a ghost town with fewer than half a dozen permanent residents and free electricity thanks to the Hoover Rural Electrification Act (or something along those lines).

Getting there is simple: Take HWY 95 until you hit that brothel (I want to say Shady Lady, but it could be the Cottontail) hanging out in the middle of that long-ass stretch of straight road between Beatty and Goldfield, hang a West turn, which'll squirt you down a long, slippery tube straight into Death Valley. You'll see a few road signs, one pointing North to Lida (never been there, but I hear it's nice) and one to Goldpoint, take the Goldpoint stretch (It's a long'un, almost a 45 minute drive from the highway intersection along an unmaintained road).

Once you arrive, you'll find a few street lights and operational mining equipment, but that's it. Some folks vacation there and there are a handful of crotchety old Permanent Residents, but despite their rough exterior, are quite friendly once you get to talking to them.

Last time I was there, we took up temporary residence in abandoned forty-niner shacks and made a bonfire in the middle of a square. I'm not sure of the legality of doing so, but as long as you don't harm any of the historic relics, I really don't see a problem in borrowing the home of another fellow who doesn't need it anymore, just so long as you leave it like you found it. I wonder if our 'thank you' cards are still taped to the walls?

The intersection leading to Goldpoint is about three hours out of Las Vegas and about five to six hours out of The North, depending on whether you're leaving from Gardnerville, Carson Reno  or Fallon (each of these towns are seperated by about 30 miles each, respectively and will add on another half hour to the trip - except Fallon, which is in a straight-line to Schurz, but I digress - This parenthetical should have been a footnote). Make certain all vehicles are fully fueled and have a backup supply, as there are no services, bring food, water and medical supplies, as I think the nearest Urgent Care is in Tonapah, well over two hours away (Beatty might have an Urgent Care, but I don't readily recall)

Mull it over, guys.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There's a place called Goldpoint which is a bit south of Goldfield along HWY 95 that holds a special distinction for me. I almost got killed there ^_______^ (dirt bike wreck out in the middle of nowhere, awesome). It's a ghost town with fewer than half a dozen permanent residents and free electricity thanks to the Hoover Rural Electrification Act (or something along those lines).

Getting there is simple: Take HWY 95 until you hit that brothel (I want to say Shady Lady, but it could be the Cottontail) hanging out in the middle of that long-ass stretch of straight road between Beatty and Goldfield, hang a West turn, which'll squirt you down a long, slippery tube straight into Death Valley. You'll see a few road signs, one pointing North to Lida (never been there, but I hear it's nice) and one to Goldpoint, take the Goldpoint stretch (It's a long'un, almost a 45 minute drive from the highway intersection along an unmaintained road).

Once you arrive, you'll find a few street lights and operational mining equipment, but that's it. Some folks vacation there and there are a handful of crotchety old Permanent Residents, but despite their rough exterior, are quite friendly once you get to talking to them.

Last time I was there, we took up temporary residence in abandoned forty-niner shacks and made a bonfire in the middle of a square. I'm not sure of the legality of doing so, but as long as you don't harm any of the historic relics, I really don't see a problem in borrowing the home of another fellow who doesn't need it anymore, just so long as you leave it like you found it. I wonder if our 'thank you' cards are still taped to the walls?

The intersection leading to Goldpoint is about three hours out of Las Vegas and about five to six hours out of The North, depending on whether you're leaving from Gardnerville, Carson Reno  or Fallon (each of these towns are seperated by about 30 miles each, respectively and will add on another half hour to the trip - except Fallon, which is in a straight-line to Schurz, but I digress - This parenthetical should have been a footnote). Make certain all vehicles are fully fueled and have a backup supply, as there are no services, bring food, water and medical supplies, as I think the nearest Urgent Care is in Tonapah, well over two hours away (Beatty might have an Urgent Care, but I don't readily recall)

Mull it over, guys.

GoldPoint has full time residents now and a bar:

http://www.goldpointghosttown.com/

A great area with dry camping spots in town. Lots of 2wd/4wd roads.   All BLM land around town.

I go there several times a year from Beatty
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Have tannerite will travel.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
GoldPoint has full time residents now and a bar:

http://www.goldpointghosttown.com/

A great area with dry camping spots in town. Lots of 2wd/4wd roads.   All BLM land around town.

I go there several times a year from Beatty

Dude! You're shittin' me! That's awesome. I haven't been to Goldpoint in over seven years, I'd always assumed that it remained a ghost town.

RE: Halfway point. Tonapah is pretty much the midway point between the North and South, although let's not discount the fact that we'd be leaving out the White Pine and Elko guys (however many of them there are, I'm assuming there can't be more than a dozen).

Isn't Battle Mountain just about the middle of the state?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm up for a camp trip, and I don't care where it is.  I wouldn't mind going south.  It's been years since I've been down that way.  For my tastes, an added bonus in the chosen site would be, an old mining district.  Shoot some guns and crack some rocks.  How about somewhere near Round Mountain?  I've never really camped out there, stayed in Carvers once, but that was a long time ago.  I hear there are some nice hot springs around there, and it is an old mining district.

Just a suggestion. Anywhere is cool with me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Hey Wolfie, what do the county colors represent????
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Count me in. Don't care where. MeanSteve I could bring you an extra tent, we have an outdoor rec place on base that rents them for like 10 bucks a week.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#22]
If I'm off, I'll go
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Hmmmmm....sounds kinda like brokeback camp trip LOL Unless its up north Im out. Wouldnt mind the shooting.....Dont know if I want to camp out. Im getting to old to lay on the ground in a sleeping bag LOL. Motel rooms I can handle. I know a cool place where the smallest fish(trout) you would catch would be about 3 pounds. Average 5 pounders. But alas its way up north above Winnemucca. Ely has some super fishing and camping places......FREE. Hopefully I'll be going to Ely in June for another ghost town trip and to pick up my custom made AK.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Adding fishing to the trip sounds great ( to me ) although I don't think it is likely to be able to do a ghost town trip and fishing. I have an extra older tent that Steve can use and keep when he's done with it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Ely in White Pine County has fishing places surrounded by ghost towns. The states largest trout came out of cave lake about 10 miles from Ely and surrounded by ghost towns. Its kind of far unless your talking about 4-5 days of camping....even has a motel 6 for old guys LOL.  The Winnemucca place is great.......pretty far off the beaten path. Actually 3 lakes are located there. All have trophy size fish but no ghost towns. I know nothing of south state except I dont go there
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Hey Wolfie, what do the county colors represent????

Could be anything C2,

State sales tax boundaries, Congressional Districts, some sort of Real Estate code, etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#27]
so were all gonnna meet up in the middle? middle of the state or middle of reno and vegas? ely is a cool place but its along fuckin ways from anywere.  im in no matter what just another reason to go shoot and kill stuff.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Nice (I suppose), but still cheap-ass.....

I'd rather we ALL book a NV-group tour and take our toys to Alaska.....THAT would be a camping trip worth a summer vacation.
(Yeah, so I get carried away, sometimes........BFD. I like to "think" BIG.)
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#30]
id say we figure  a spot even between reno and vegas thats neat and all meet up there. that only seems fair to everyone that way.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#31]
FYI Tonopah is 10-15 miles south  of the halfway point between Vegas and Reno...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#32]
i think its like 3 hours from here in fallon...... but what the hell is there in or around tonapah to do? is there any good camping or shooting spots?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Goldfield is a little south of Tonopah and the previously mentioned Round Mtn. is a little noth of Tonopah. Check out THIS link, select Nevada at the top and you will find tons of Ghosttown info.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#34]
I love Goldfield. I took a a few photos when I passed through last week.

mudflap.zeroesunlimited.com/SHOT_2006/goldfield/

If y'all are down with meeting in Goldfield, I wouldn't complain one iota.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Steve, in one of your pics it looked like there was a sign for a motel, is that correct?

Look at that Ghosttown site in my post above, it looks like there are about 10 sites with ruins in the area around Goldfield, a little drive but not too far.

ETA: Round Mountain looks like it has 20 or more sites around it
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:36:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Looked to me like the only thing still active in Goldfield was the bar and the one gas station. It looked an awful lot like the hotels have been out of operation for decades. Might be worthwhile to do some calling around and find out.

EDIT - Actually fuck that noise we're going on a campout not some frilly-willy hotel-hopping excursion in which we discuss finance over room-service caviar? Were we mistaken for Paris Hilton all of a sudden? Are we pretending that poor people are funny because they're too icky to touch?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:49:39 AM EDT
[#37]
HaHa, I was asking for Old Troops benefit
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:03:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks BigBang...a motel in that place would be the "Bates Motel"...you check in but you never check out LOL.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#40]
ya isnt this kinda like a camping trip? so some were around goldfield. who all is really thinking about doing this. not that 3 guys from reno just show up or 3 guys from vegas.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Isn't Goldfield like a "tourist" ghostown? When I say ghostown I wanna GHOSTOWN!

You probably are correct WP, I was just looking at a map for stuff around the mid way point.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#42]
How about in between Ely and Eureka, for those who want ghost towns there are several, Hamilton, Treasure City, and Shermantown to name a few, for those like myself who like to fish there is Illipah reservoir. Also this would be pretty much an even drive from the north and south, about 280 miles each direction.

Tom
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#43]
illapah is a cool place.  good for fishing but camping i dont think its the ideal spot. i like the idea of eureka cool places around there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Well your alot closer to Ely than Eureka.......I have photos and such on my ghost town website. ..........  Ghost Towns and Mines
There aint shit in Eureka...a little store and gas station...Ely is where its at. about 7 miles north of Ely is some of the best fishing in the state. Hamilton and Treasure city are about 30 miles out of Ely.......theres so many ghost towns in White Pine County you cant see them all in a week.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#45]
My son goes to Illapah and Comins with his Grandfather quite often,they have always brought home a lot of fish.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#46]
ely is along ways away. ive gone elk hunting up there few times. its nice and all but that seems like it would be a longer drive then 3 hours.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Ely is 240 mi. from Vegas and just over 300 from Reno, It takes me 3:15 to drive from Vegas to there. Also there are motels for the non-campers.

+1 on Comins lake and the camping areas

Tom
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I used to go to Comins twice a year from Vegas.  We used to camp up in the Cleave(sp) creek area about 30 miles away..  Did some gold panning up near the ghost town area of Oceola(sp).  Cleave creek has an awesome camp ground  just not alot of spots, but definately secluded area..
Depending on when and where this all took place, I'd be interested especially if I could bring my almost 16 year old son(who is very well versed with Firearm safety)..

John P..
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#49]
+2 on Comins lake, nice rainbows.

I normally camp at Cave Lake State Park, ~ 4 miles away.  Yes it  camping, but with hot showers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
+2 on Comins lake, nice rainbows.

I normally camp at Cave Lake State Park, ~ 4 miles away.  Yes it  camping, but with hot showers.

OOps.  Forgot about State Park firearms regs.  My bad.  Not  the right campground for this group.

Open BLM land would be better.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top