Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 5:38:51 PM EDT
How many times can you say "Assault Rifle?"

The Las Vegas Review Journal ran an article today about the killing of LVMPD Police Officer Henry Prendes. In the article reporter Brian Haynes uses the term "assault rifle" no less than 18 times.

I guess the media at whatever cost to the truth is dead-set on cramming the "assault rifle/weapon" term down our throats. But then again, liberals will still believe blatant lies even if cold hard facts are presented backing the truth.

Perfect example: Liberal anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan couldn't find enough sympathizers to ride her lie-filled bandwagon in the United States, she had to travel to a third-world country and swap spits with Venezuela's leftist President, and communist dictator Hugo Chavez.

I guess the title of the book of talk show host Michael Savage hits the proverbial "nail on the head": "Liberalism is a Mental Disorder."

See if you can find any more "assault rifle" references in the following article. I might have missed one or two.

Feb. 04, 2006

Young to review weapons policies

Availability of "assault rifles" for patrol officers will be examined

By BRIAN HAYNES
REVIEW-JOURNAL

After seeing one of his officers killed in a shootout this week, Sheriff Bill Young said he will review his department's policies regarding the availability of "assault rifles" for patrol officers.

"I'm not going to have officers undergunned out there," Young said.

That was the case Wednesday afternoon when Amir Crump opened fire with a semiautomatic "assault rifle" modeled after the AK-47. He killed Sgt. Henry Prendes, then held police at bay as he peppered the cars shielding them with dozens of 7.62 mm rounds.

The patrol officers, armed with pistols and shotguns, couldn't match Crump's firepower. It wasn't until an officer with the gang crimes unit arrived with an "assault rifle" that police turned the tide of the gunbattle and killed Crump.

"His weapon probably saved the day," Young said of officer William Marx, who was hit in the leg with bullet fragments.

No one else was hurt.

Crump fired 42 rounds during the barrage. Police fired 63.

"These cops are lucky to be alive," Young said. "This guy, he was a ruthless murderer."

The Metropolitan Police Department supplies "assault rifles", such as the AR-15, to some specialized units, including SWAT and gang crimes. Patrol officers who want "assault rifles" must buy their own. They cost about $1,000.

Department policy also requires that "assault rifles" be stored inside a case in the trunk. Some officers have pushed for a change that would allow "assault rifles" to be kept in the front seats of patrol cars, Young said.

Young said he didn't know if the patrol officers at the scene had "assault rifles" available or whether they could have prevented the death of Prendes, who was ambushed as he approached the front door on a domestic violence call.

The policy and the availability of "assault rifles" will be reviewed by the department's firearms committee after some time has passed. Young said he doesn't want to make a knee-jerk change to the policy because of his emotions after Prendes' death.

"I'm feeling a little guilty myself with this policy, and I'm not going to have my officers outgunned out there, at least not while I'm sheriff," Young said.

The Los Angeles Police Department found itself in a similar position nine years ago when two heavily armed gunmen robbed a bank and engaged in a half-hour shootout with police through the streets of North Hollywood.

Officers armed with 9 mm pistols and shotguns were no match for the robbers' "assault rifles" and body armor. Some officers borrowed guns from a nearby gun store to find more powerful weapons.

Eventually one gunman killed himself, and SWAT officers killed the other gunman. Eleven officers were injured.

The incident sparked a policy change that allowed patrol officers to carry "assault rifles" in their vehicles, said officer Jason Lee, a Los Angeles Police Department spokesman.

More than 500 "assault rifles" from military surplus were donated to the department. Officers have not had an incident that required firing the "assault rifles" since that day in February 1997, Lee said.

"We have the same firepower, just in case," he said.

Law enforcement officers across the country are facing more criminals armed with "assault rifles", said Kristen Rand of the Violence Policy Center in Washington, D.C.

"It's so easy for people like this suspect to get his hands on "assault rifles" and high-capacity magazines," she said. "Unfortunately, police are forced to carry similar firepower."

A 2003 study by the center titled "Officer Down" found one in five officers shot and killed in the line of duty was shot by "assault rifles" .

David Kallas, president of the union that represents Las Vegas' rank-and-file police officers, said he would like to see every officer in the field have access to "assault rifles", but he acknowledged liability and other issues that make that unlikely.

Wednesday's fatal shootout, however, highlighted the growing need for greater firepower, he said.

"How are we going to protect the public if we're not better armed than the bad guys?" he asked.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a report on it?  I missed it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:57:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#5]
The police need "assault rifles" so badly but the LAPD hasn't had to fire a shot from theirs in the 9 years since they got them??
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:19:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The police need "assault rifles" so badly but the LAPD hasn't had to fire a shot from theirs in the 9 years since they got them??

I would question that statistic.....of course that was a "media" report.

There are probably one or two actual firings a year here with the AR. But they are utilized a lot more than that.

LAPD also had an option for a MP5.

The weapons are completely different and they each have their benefits. They both should be offered........as of now, officers buy their own rifle. There are select units that are issued one. One being the gang unit which was involved in the shooting. But some of these issued ones are some old A1 models.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Department policy also requires that "assault rifles" be stored inside a case in the trunk. Some officers have pushed for a change that would allow "assault rifles" to be kept in the front seats of patrol cars, Young said

18 total.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Believe it or not, that picture was mandatory "storage" for DNR troops in ND. It was to ensure the weapons were not "Loaded" but yet available if needed.

Makes sense to a certain extent.  I'd rather have my AR in that configuration than in my trunk locked up without a magazine in it.......

V
OUT
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Department policy also requires that "assault rifles" be stored inside a case in the trunk. Some officers have pushed for a change that would allow "assault rifles" to be kept in the front seats of patrol cars, Young said

18 total.

I knew there were more somewhere in there!

Thanks for catching that Bro. I corrected the count.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I could definitiely flip a mag faster than unlocking the trunk, hitting the release for the holder or unlocking a case, then removing the weapon.

Surprisingly, upscale Henderson have their's up front...........AR's do look evil
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, those locks SUCK!!!!

I chose not to use them since they had a tendency not to lock. Of course you never found this out until you hit a bump hard likely trying to get somewhere or chasing someone. Nothing like getting hit in the face with a shotgun...or two!

No matter what, it still beats being hidden in a trunk!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 on those locks sucking.....

Wolf,

You are OBVIOUSLY  not cuffed by the "man's" free thinking and objective restriant that creates our regulations and standard.

Lucky you.........

By the way, flex cuffs have now created +10% over -10% that call for good judgement that have prevented their use for HLS application (same article as light as a use of force) ..............

Better use cuffs on a Hadji than plastic...........you'll soon read about it on the FBI forum,mmmm

60 days and it will be policy.....I pray NOT....

V
OUT
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#16]
So many places to go with this: Tell me you guys aren't actually surprised by the way the media guys in Vegas are spinning this? One thing I'll never understand is how the media can be both anti-gun and anti-cop. They say the cops need more firepower now, then they'll question why the next guy with an "assault weapon" had to be shot, why couldn't he just have the gun shot from his hand- tase-pepperspray-or hugged? They do it all of the time. They play both ends against the middle like 3 year olds working mom and dad.
As to why there were no immediately available "assault rifles": has anyone in Las Vegas ever heard of North Hollywood? Was there any disaster planning after NOLA and 9/11 at all? Those should have been viewed as events to take seriously, and all of them lead to the inevitable conclusion that more firepower in the hands of just one good guy can make a world of difference. I see the death of the responding officer as probably unavoidable, had the perp been armed with just about any type of weapon, he'd likely have killed the unfortunate Sgt. Prendes. After that, however, I blame the Administration for not giving their boys the right tools to do the job. ARs are not that expensive, surplus M16s are probably even cheaper.
Are there any other departments here in the state that are hamstrung by this kind of manure? I know Douglas is the Patrol Rifle crazy, some deputies are even trying to get FALs and Ar10s OK'd I hear.
And I am fine with this. When I call 911, I want someone to respond with as much or more firepower than I can muster.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#17]
When are simple minded assholes in the media going to learn?  California banned AK's in 89 and that sure helped LAPD in North Hollywood didn't it.

If I was civilian LE I would jump on the opportunity to have a rifle whether it was in the trunk or not.  When I still lived in Fresno Ca, the deputies there had option of having a mini 14 if they wanted the training.  They have since gone to the AR, but one deputy I talked to said he didn't see much point in it since shootouts like N. Hollywood didn't happen very often.

My personal opinion is that a pistol is on my hip because it is easy and conveinent to carry.  Just enough firepower to return fire and get my rifle into action in extreme cases.

Another stupid story from Fresno area LE.  I went on a ride along with Fresno PD my senior year of HS.  We get on the road and the officer tells me what to do if he is in trouble and asks me if I know how to use the 870 and I did.  However he told me he has the shotgun in the trunk not in the vehicle mount because he uses the mount to rest his in car radio mic in it!!!  And on top of that the trunk pop didn't work and I would have to unlock the trunk with the keys.  I was 17 and I thought that was stupid and I was going to die because of this guy if he got shot.

It's stories like that, that keep me armed and will defend myself thank you very much.

P.S.  BAN RAPPERS...do it for the children
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#18]
And what the hell is up with that clown at American Shooters Supply!  They fucked a friend of mine over when he purchase a bad product from them and wouldn't back what they sell so I don't go there anyway but, last I heard when you buy a gun at a gunshow you still have a background check.

Correct me if I'm wrong.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Animus:

Montoya blows dead goats - always has.   He wants a monopoly, just like any greedy businessman.  

Lem
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Another attention grabbing media whore.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#21]
One thing you will never hear Metro or the "news" media say is that no matter how fast this guys rifle could cycle, and no matter how many rounds of ammo it holds, and no matter how many rounds he fired: he only hit the guy twice at close range and a second guy was wounded by "bullet fragments". The same thing could have been acomplished with a revolver. The fact that he had a semi-auto rifle with a detachable magazine had absolutely no impact on the outcome at all.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
And what the hell is up with that clown at American Shooters Supply!  They fucked a friend of mine over when he purchase a bad product from them and wouldn't back what they sell so I don't go there anyway but, last I heard when you buy a gun at a gunshow you still have a background check.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

BGC's are only required at shows if guns are purchased from dealers.

Private sales are immune (at least for now).

ETA: I don't know about other states so I can only speak for Nevada. Nevada doesn't require checks on private sales. Some states have passed legislation requiring checks on all gun sales at shows, dealer and private. This is a flimsy attempt to close the "Gun Show Loophole." As anyone with a third grade education knows: Gun laws don't do shit to keep guns from the bad guys.

Closing the Gun Show Loophole: Hmmmm, the warm and fuzzy solution.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I still would like to know what a "Assault FireArm" is,,,,guess it's Politics? and 'There' Definition of?

What a Shame
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top