Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/2/2006 4:15:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 4:16:05 PM EDT by ishoot2live]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:28:51 AM EDT
Bump
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:47:38 AM EDT
They're using this as a reason to take a poll on banning AW. Time to vote.

www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4442110&nav=168X
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:36:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dorsai:
They're using this as a reason to take a poll on banning AW. Time to vote.

www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4442110&nav=168X

Vote early and often

I personally have brought the ratio down from

61% Ban / 39% No Ban

to

58% Ban / 42% No Ban

Let's get clicking!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:00:28 PM EDT
Voting done!

Should we alert the General forum about the poll? Might help it out. I'm going to email it around...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:14:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:31:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 5:35:57 PM EDT by ishoot2live]
I equate these fucking media agencies (especially KLAS TV 8) using this tragedy to bring up the "assault weapons" ban to unscrupulous con artists attempting to exploit the confidence of the mourning community to obtain money.

They are using the death of this fine officer to push the political agenda of the left, mainly the Brady Campaign and the Violence Policy Center.

The media should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. They owe the family of the officer, Metro, and the entire Las Vegas community an apology for using this incident to once again spark their senseless anti-gun debate. Shameful. Just shameful.

Jon Ralston is addressing the "assault weapons" ban right now.... (1830 hrs). Cable Channel 19.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:30:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 11:31:55 PM EDT by BigBang]
This is from that channel 8 link

The gunman used a high-powered, low cost knock-off assault rifle in Wednesday's deadly shootout. Amir Crump opened fire shooting and reloading a number of times, an estimated 50 rounds in all. Police train for these types of situations and they're prepared to deal with them, but they still never really expect them.

Ron Montoya, with American Shooter Supply, said, "I think our department is very well armed and very well trained and I don't see that there is anything out there on the market that can really compete with what we have in our law enforcement armory today."

Help to Sgt. Henry Prendes came from a plain clothes officer. The officer, who heard the call, came to the scene with his own high-powered AR-15 rifle and was wounded in action.

So, the SKS in the hands of a thug is referred to as a " low cost knock-off assault rifle ", and the AR in the hands of the police officer is called a " high-powered AR-15 rifle " Could they report in a more biased way?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:56:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:00:30 PM EDT
Would you mind clarifying your last line???

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:34:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:47:23 PM EDT
I don't think he will go that route. That is a liberal media twist on the incident.

The only thing he has brought up was revamping the rifle policy for the dept.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:08:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:22:53 AM EDT
He isn't high enough up.......if only he would have won.

I would be totally surprised if they even talk about gun control. The media and the idiot at American Shooters did enough lying.

Even Young said he wanted to study the issue for the dept. for awhile as he didn't want a knee jerk reaction. He made no mention of legislation as I hope he is smart enough to know criminals dont obey the laws anyways.

We have had other good people try and change the rifle issue.......we even had them in a rack up front as a test, but an uppity up felt it was displaying a bad image to the public. So, in the trunk in a hard case they went.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:18:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 2:20:53 PM EDT by ishoot2live]

Originally Posted By RDP:
We have had other good people try and change the rifle issue.......we even had them in a rack up front as a test, but an uppity up felt it was displaying a bad image to the public. So, in the trunk in a hard case they went.

I disagree with keeping Patrol Rifles in the trunk RDP.

When under fire officers need ALL of their tools RIGHT NOW, not in a minute or two.

When the balloon goes up like it did with Sgt. Prendes, responding officers need to "grab and go." They shouldn't have to expose themselves under fire and waste valuable time moving to the trunk of the cruiser to retrieve the lifeline.

FUCK public perception. The police should have whatever tools they need to protect themselves and the community at large. Metro is a police department with law enforcement officers there to enforce the law, not a touchy feely organization employing "social workers with guns."

Cops need to handle the bad guys accordingly (yes, even if it means displaying an evil Black Rifle in the front seat) and they should be allowed to possess and "conveniently" use whatever tools they need to keep them alive.

The time it takes to exit the cruiser under fire and travel to the trunk to retrieve a stowed Carbine or Rifle could cost an officer his/her life. Not to mention that every second the officer doesn't have that Carbine or Rifle in his/her hands, other officers and the public at large is put in greater danger.

If public perception is such an issue, perhaps Metro should paint all their cars white with no overheads, and have the officers wear Royal Blue Polo shirts with embroidered badges and the words "Social Worker" imprinted on the back.

Cops are there to protect us and to enforce the law. They must also be able to take out the bad guy as quickly and efficiently as possible to minimize officer and civilian casualties.

If Billy Young makes any changes to Metro's rifle policy he should make them more visible to the public (in the front seat), make it mandatory that every officer possess one, and have the media cover several stories every couple of months showing officers training with them.

Patrol Rifles are much needed tools for officers. Therefore, they should get what they need.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:37:55 PM EDT
Well, we will see what happens.

Considering they just revamped the rifle course making it a 40 hour instruction, it would be very interesting to see if they approve the department issuing them.

I like how the news says the cost over $1000 each........dept. cost is much cheaper from Colt, while other companies offer a discount for LE.

I disagree with the dept. making it mandatory......it is a weapon you need to practice with and take care of. Making it available for those that do want to carry is a different story.

It used to be you had to provide your own rifle, own ammo for training, and take the class on your own time. Quite a few of us did it without complaining.......

We just need to get them out of the trunk.....but then again, I am not going to risk my life because of a stupid policy, I'll do what I think is right
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:45:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:03:01 PM EDT
I honestly do not know......

Their is the state benefits from the retirement system which covers a continual payout over time for the spouse/beneficiary for a line of duty death.

Not really sure what the dept. will do......

Dept. liability is also an issue.....but an investigation will determine if any errors were made and by whom.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:41:55 PM EDT
I'm not sure about LVMPD or State death benefits for officers killed in the line of duty, but I do know that if a police officer is an active member of the National Rifle Association (NRA) the widow or listed beneficiary of the deceased officer automatically receives $25,000.00 from the fund.

In order to receive the officer "Death Benefit" the officer must have been killed in the Line of Duty.

If Sgt. Prendes was an active member of NRA his widow or listed beneficiary will receive the $25,000.00 death benefit.

I have personal knowledge of this because I am a NRA recruiter.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:17:45 AM EDT
Top Top