User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 1:10:17 PM EDT
All I can say is:

WARNING: The following link is posted on a graphic web-site Video Link

Deputy shoots airman back from Iraq tour

By Jeremiah Marquez
Associated Press
Published February 1, 2006

CHINO, Calif. -- A videotape released Tuesday shows a sheriff's deputy shooting an unarmed Air Force policeman who recently returned from Iraq as he appeared to obey an order to get up off the ground.

KTLA-TV broadcast a 40-second clip it said came from a Chino resident who videotaped Sunday night's shooting, which followed a 100 m.p.h. car chase.

Senior Airman Elio Carrion, 21, was listed in good condition at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton. He was shot three times in the chest, ribs and leg, his father-in-law, Ernesto Paz, told KTLA-TV.

Carrion was a passenger in a Corvette that crashed into a wall following the brief chase, authorities said.

The dark, grainy videotape shows Carrion lying on the ground next to the car, talking to a silhouetted officer who is pointing a gun at him. Carrion supports himself on one arm and his face is brightly lit by the officer's flashlight.

Carrion is heard telling the officer he is unarmed and is in the military.

At one point, a voice is heard saying several times: "Get up."

Carrion says: "I'm gonna get up." As he rises, at least four shots are fired and Carrion collapses.

Investigators from the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department took the original tape, refusing to release it to the public or describe what it shows.

The deputy, whose name was not released, was placed on paid administrative leave, a routine procedure in officer-involved shootings.

Sheriff Gary Penrod said he could not comment until the investigation is completed.

Carrion was not charged with a crime, although the incident remained under investigation, according to sheriff's spokeswoman Robin Haynal.

The driver of the Corvette, identified by authorities as Luis Fernando Escobedo, 21, was arrested for investigation of felony evading.

Carrion and Escobedo had left a party at the home of Carrion's parents to drive to a store, said the airman's wife, Mariela.

A woman who answered the telephone at the Montclair home of Carrion's parents said nobody at the residence wanted to talk.

Carrion was scheduled to report on Wednesday to his unit, the 2nd Security Forces Squadron at Barksdale Air Force Base in Shreveport, La.

An Air Force spokesman, Lt. Frank Hartnett, said Carrion was a security officer at the base. Carrion joined the Air Force in January 2003 and recently returned from a six-month tour in Iraq, Hartnett said.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
To say that pisses me off is an understatement.  There are good cops out there like those in LV who were shot on the job doing their best and there is the ass in Chino who has no business with a badge.  If he (the deputy in Chino) is not prosceuted and if the Air Force JAG doesn't jump on this, the country is in a pile of trouble.

This is completely unacceptable period!

CPT KILLER
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
thats fucked up!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow! There's got to be more to the story than that ..... or something.

Because if this is what it looks like, then the deputy is in a world of trouble.

Did he perceive Carrion going for a weapon or some other threatening move??????

Otherwise, the use of such force in this situation isn't justified
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#5]
supposedly, the cop said dont stand up.  I heard stand up, but people are saying, if you play slowly, you can hear it.  

Either way, this cop needs to be sent to prison for attemped murder.  I mean, 3 shots when the guy was on the ground, and had already stated he was in the military,  hope he gets pounded in the ass for weeks.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad y'all believe in innocent until proven guilty.
I saw the tape all afternoon on  CNN  and it's pretty fuzzy and noisy.
Put yourself in the deputies shoes for a minute. Speeding musclecar evades police and crashes into a tree. Hopped up on adrenaline, he is dealing with a couple of hispanic males in their early 20's. One says he is in the military and keeps babbling (they just left a party and might be intoxicated) and , if the deputy is telling the truth, refused to remain seated when ordered.  Being in the military doesn't give you a free pass when dealing with the police.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
And being a passenger in that vehicle and doing everything the police officer says doesn't justify the use of deadly force.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
And being a passenger in that vehicle and doing everything the police officer says doesn't justify the use of deadly force.

Which is my point: If the officer did indeed tell him , " Don't  stand up! " , then he should have complied.
The airman made a poor choice of friends to ride around with,  which doesn't justify his being shot, but it certainly doesn't make him look squeeky clean to me. The UCMJ holds military personel to a higher standard.  I have nothing against military personel, nor do dislike LEOs (however, I could give you a few names of LEOs I DO NOT like).
I am just saying before we hang this deputy, who may have made a mistake, may have believed his life was in danger, may have fired out of anger or hatred, that we let the EXPERTS do the analysis. The FBI is gonna investigate it and I have to believe they will find the truth. If they bury this deputy without due process, what will that say to the rest of the guys working that job? Who will answer the phone when you need help?
This "Get a rope" mob mentality is exactly the kind of thing they do in the Middle East. Are we not better than that?

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Put yourself in the deputies shoes for a minute. Speeding musclecar evades police and crashes into a tree. Hopped up on adrenaline, he is dealing with a couple of hispanic males in their early 20's. One says he is in the military and keeps babbling (they just left a party and might be intoxicated) and , if the deputy is telling the truth, refused to remain seated when ordered.  Being in the military doesn't give you a free pass when dealing with the police.

Welcome back from Iraq troop.  When you get back home after 6 months of getting shot at and mortared make sure you don't drink a few beers and let off some steam since you are hispanic and a passenger in a speeding vehicle and the officer can't clearly call commands and you misunderstand them and get shot 4 times.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Welcome back from Iraq troop.  When you get back home after 6 months of getting shot at and mortared make sure you don't drink a few beers and let off some steam since you are hispanic and a passenger in a speeding vehicle and the officer can't clearly call commands and you misunderstand them and get shot 4 times.

Dskin better watch out when he gets back!!

Hahahahahaha

V
OUT
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well if it's so cut and dried let's get a rope and hang the guy from a tree. I'll light the torches, you can bring the pitchforks. No need for due process, investigative action or any of that nonsense. The media is on board with this plan, "noted police officials" ( the same guys who say civillians don't need "assault weapons " or any other means of self defense) are lining up to show you what the deputy did wrong, we don't need any more evidence.

You're right. I give up. I'll expect not to hear a word from any of you if the Police or Feds are unfairly persecuting you. You haven't the right to a fair trial if you're so ready to take away this man's right to one. Even dirtbags are afforded that in this country. That's why we need slimy lawyers (and good ones, too).

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#12]
No you're right.  Maybe I jumped the gun but thats because he's a fellow USAF SP.  Just because he is military doesn't make him holy and just no matter what.  I am the last person who is going to judge someone in a UOF situation when I wasn't there myself.  The whole situation looks shitty from both sides.

Hell, I'm impressed with the deputies marksmanship.  Usually the cops fire a few dozen rounds and the perp gets away with a bullet grazing his pinky toe.  The front sight is a hell of a concept ain't it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I am glad that we find some middle ground on this. I still suspect that the deputy screwed up, but  I have to believe that that the people we trust to handle these things will find the truth and make the right decisions.
For the record, the guy on my Vietnam POW/MIA bracelet, that I wear everyday, is an airman missing since '68.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top