Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:39:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Look in the 12-10-05 shotgun news for a column on this written by Vin Suprynowicz.  

I get the distinct impression that the sherrifs association and many individual sherrifs do not like CCW holders much.  They do respond to pressure from us though and thats not all bad.   Metro (read Sherriff  BIll Young)apparently does not like CCW holders at all, and only issue the CCWs because the law MAKES them.  This has been reenforced by statements made on the radio when I can catch him on kdwn, as well at the reported attitudes of officers/CCW holders interactions, that have been reported here and in other boards.

ATF makes up their own rules as to annual checking of CCW holders, I have not been able to find any regulation that requires periodic NICS checking of CCW holders.  IF you find one let me know.

WE are not alone in this fiasco.  ATF pulled this crap on 2 other states as well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Some Sheriff's don't like the "shall issue" laws because they hurt their campaign donations.

A lot of people that were annointed CCW's in the old days, happened to be "good o'le boys" and or campaign donors...

I heard that part of  the ATF audit problem was that some SO's would give their buddies CCW's without charging for, or "conducting" the backgrounds.

Edited to add:  I was apparently incorrect, please see what really happened on page 3...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag.  Anyone heard anything new?  I want to pick up an AK receiver and don't feel like spending $25 for a NICS check on a $55 receiver!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard somewhere that they are still working on it. Hopefully by the middle of the month it will be back to the way it used to be. Who knows though?

Jim Mayhugh and John Cahill probably know more than most on the issue. I am not sure if John Cahill posts here, but I guess if you see a post from JM he probably has some good news.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#5]
As of today 03 Jan 06.

Buddy bought a G17L (with his Xmas return stuff to Target and get cash) this morning with a CCW and paid the background fee.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like things are progressing nicely! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

From the Record Courier

Agreement in works to reinstate concealed weapons exemption

Staff Reports
January 4, 2006

If approved, an agreement between the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Nevada Department of Public Safety will reinstate an exemption for Nevada concealed weapons permits from the National Instant Criminal Background System

If the agreement is approved by federal authorities, those in possession of a valid concealed weapon permit will again be able to bypass the usual background checks and fees associated with firearm purchases.

In September 2005, the Nevada Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association was notified by the Nevada Department of Public Safety that a survey conducted by the association had found deficiencies in Nevada's law.

Those holding concealed weapon permits were no longer eligible for a background check system exemption when the permit holder purchased a firearm.

Originally, it was determined that the discovered deficiencies could not be easily corrected. Based on information at the time, the Nevada Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association decided not to seek an extension in an effort to remedy the audit concerns.

Subsequent to that decision, the association discovered that the original information was inaccurate and the deficiencies could, in fact, be corrected.

Association president and Douglas County Sheriff Ron Pierini initiated the development of an agreement between the sheriffs and the Nevada Department of Public Safety that would rectify the audit discrepancies. This agreement was presented to the association in early December. The sheriffs unanimously adopted the agreement.

On Dec. 30, Nevada's sheriffs and the Nevada Department of Public Safety submitted their final draft of the memo.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's the last note I got from John:

PRESS RELEASE

December 30, 2005

In September 2005, the Nevada Sheriff's and Chief's Association (NSCA) was notified by the Nevada Department of Public Safety that a survey conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) had found deficiencies in Nevada's concealed weapon permit procedures.  As a
result of the findings Nevada concealed weapon permits were no longer eligible for a National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) exemption when the permit holder purchased a firearm.  The NICS exemption allows those persons in possession of a valid concealed weapon permit to
bypass the usual background checks and fees associated with firearm purchases.

Originally, it was determined that the discovered deficiencies could not be easily corrected.   Based on the information at the time, the Nevada Sheriff's and Chiefs Association decided not to seek an extension in an effort to remedy the audit concerns of the BATFE.

Subsequent to that decision the Nevada Sheriff's and Chief's Association discovered that the original information was inaccurate and that the deficiencies of concern to the BATFE could in fact be corrected.

NSCA President and Douglas County Sheriff Ron Pierini initiated the development of an MOU between the Sheriff's and the Nevada Department of Public Safety that would rectify the audit discrepancies. This MOU was presented to the NSCA in early December. The Sheriff's unanimously adopted the memo of understanding.

On December 30, 2005 the Nevada Sheriff's and the Nevada Department of Public Safety submitted their final draft of the memo of understanding (MOU) to the BATFE that addressed and rectified the issues identified by BATFE in their audit of Nevada Concealed Weapon Permit procedures.

The MOU was submitted to the BATFE by the Nevada Department of Public Safety. If the MOU is approved by the BATFE and the U.S. Department of Justice it is anticipated that the NICS exemption for a Nevada CCW will be reinstated.

Any questions or concerns regarding this matter should be forwarded to Frank Adams, Executive Director for the Nevada Sheriff's and Chief's Association at phone number 866-266-9870.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I found out what really happened.

Some DPS LVMPD officer out of clark county named "Duvall" or something, sent a questionaire out to all of the Sheriff's on behalf of the ATF to make sure that the SO's were checking with Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) to verify the status of "Resident Aliens" before issuing a CCW to one.

The question was poorly worded.  Some of the SO's said "no", meaning that they never had a "Resident Alien" apply, not that they wouldn't check with ICE if one did apply.  Some SO's didn't reply at all.

Just a big cluster that the Sheriff's and Chief's Assn is blaming on the ATF...

I am sure the Sheriff's and Chiefs Assn will try to take credit for ending this "power grab" by  the ATF.

Got to love politics....

BTW, If anything I have written is incorrect, please correct me!!!!!!!!  

ETA - Agency corrected.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Some DPS officer out of clark county named "Duvall" or something, sent a questionaire out to all of the Sheriff's on behalf of the ATF to make sure that the SO's were checking with Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) to verify the status of "Resident Aliens" before issuing a CCW to one.

Thanks Arashi!

I had been wondering how this CF had begun in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#10]
The CCW exemption is back :)

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/010506nevadaffl-openletter.pdf

I will still be pushing my state reps to abolish the $25 fee for something that can be done by the FBI for free though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#11]
How can they justify a $25 fee for a process that takes less than 30 seconds to complete, on a system that is already in place, and there is no real cost except for the person answering the phone??
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How can they justify a $25 fee for a process that takes less than 30 seconds to complete, on a system that is already in place, and there is no real cost except for the person answering the phone??

DPS gets to keep the $25.  It should go to the general fund.

Ask DPS why the "smog program" had something like 100 ballistic vests, guns, etc, in inventory?????

They used the "smog funds" as a slush fund...  Think about that next time you pay and wait for a smog check...

I think I will use the freedom of info act to get the inventory of the NV NICS program...  It could get interesting.   They will probably cite some "homeland security" crap to stop the request.

DPS has had a lot of corruption lately.  Then again, so has nearly all levels of public service in Vegas.

It gives all of the good guys a bad name.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:18:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Some DPS officer out of clark county named "Duvall" or something, sent a questionaire out to all of the Sheriff's on behalf of the ATF to make sure that the SO's were checking with Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) to verify the status of "Resident Aliens" before issuing a CCW to one.

The question was poorly worded.  Some of the SO's said "no", meaning that they never had a "Resident Alien" apply, not that they wouldn't check with ICE if one did apply.  Some SO's didn't reply at all.

Just a big cluster that the Sheriff's and Chief's Assn is blaming on the ATF...

I am sure the Sheriff's and Chiefs Assn will try to take credit for ending this "power grab" by  the ATF.

Got to love politics....

BTW, If anything I have written is incorrect, please correct me!!!!!!!!  

Lt. Robert DuVall was the Lt. in charge of the LVMPD Firearms detail (including the CCW detail), and was also the  Chairman for the Concealed Weapons Subcommittee for The Nevada Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association. He has since moved onto another assignment.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Spoke to Glen at Bargain Pawn today he told me the CCW exemption is now back in force as of this morning
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They used the "smog funds" as a slush fund...  Think about that next time you pay and wait for a smog check...

I think I will use the freedom of info act to get the inventory of the NV NICS program...  It could get interesting.  

Please do this if you have the skills. It might turn out to be very informative.

Sidenote: We have no SMOG in Douglas county, nor do we have a SMOG check.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#18]
We won!

Bring on the dancing bananas!

Yeah, baby!

Best,
John Bear Ross
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Has this been checked out?????? Think I'll call my guy in Carson city tomorrow morning. Hope its true.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#21]
any 'Official' press release?,please post when ya' get it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#22]
2 FFL's I spoke to today in Vegas have been told and are bsck to using the CCW instead of NICS
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just tell them Jim Mayhugh said it was ok.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

yes here

www.atf.gov/firearms/010506nevadaffl-openletter.pdf
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes here

Thanks arashi
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Bitchin  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
2 FFL's I spoke to today in Vegas have been told and are bsck to using the CCW instead of NICS

I swung through Carason Armory yesterday, and they verified it. We're back to NCIS CCW instead of NCIS!

ETF
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Great news
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Glad to see this squared away.  Thanks to everyone that worked so hard to help restore our privledges.

Why am I not surprised to find an LVMPD officer at the bottom of this stinky mess?

Was this guy promoted for this stunt, or was his reassignment punishment?

Lem
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#31]

.....causes me to wonder.........inasmuch as "CCW's" are a "privileged" class, are there any other groups in NV also exempt from NICS check and fee?? (leo, etc?)
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
.....causes me to wonder.........inasmuch as "CCW's" are a "privileged" class, are there any other groups in NV also exempt from NICS check and fee?? (leo, etc?)

Actually, no. If the firearm is department issued, there's no NICS check, since it's a department gun. If the LEO purchases the firearm, even on department letterhead, the LEO has to pay the NICS check if he doesn't have a valid Concealed Firearms Permit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Actually, no. If the firearm is department issued, there's no NICS check, since it's a department gun. If the LEO purchases the firearm, even on department letterhead, the LEO has to pay the NICS check if he doesn't have a valid Concealed Firearms Permit.

OHHH, and that pisses me off to no end.  My boss can sign CCW's for Joe Citizen, and that person can get the $25 fee waived when purchasing ANY firearm.  As an LEO, I can't even take a letter from my BOSS (the SHERIFF), and have the check fee waived.  I can carry concealed and everything, and go through the same background checks to get the job, and have even more training, and still can't get the waiver.  Makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:41:42 AM EDT
[#34]
I went into Special Interest Arms yesterday (day before yesterday now, I guess) with a printout of said .pdf in hand so as to pick up my AK receiver (that he had been holding for several weeks now but due to my current economic situation, couldn't spring, seeing as how paying both the transfer AND the NCIS would double the price of said bit of stamped sheet metal). The day I came in with my printout from atf.gov, Richard (God bless 'im) proceeded to throw a swearing tantrum, preturbed that Point Of Sale hadn't bothered to inform him that the NCIS exemption was back in effect, despite having talked to them no less than three times before I had come in.

Richard then called Chet up at Nevada Gun Exchange, who informed him that Point Of Sale informed them first thing in the morning that the exemption was back in effect. Richard then proceeded to diatribe about how the whole world is against him and there's a massive anti-Richard conspiracy and if he drove around town with his car in the same state of smashed-uppitdness as mine that the local constabulary would have harassed him to no end.

Dwelling in this town are more bizzare characters than in the late Hunter S. Thompson's psylocybin-addled cortex, by cracky.

And the best part. I don't really need this damned AK74, as I bought the .223 Norinco from Gunmonkey last month.

So yeah, Hoorj for the exemption being back in effect. I hear tale that 3:5 firearms purchasers in this state have CCW permits, and since we're all Jewy-Jew McHeebypants and refuse to pay an extra twenty five dollars atop the multiple hundreds of dollars we spend on our firearms purchases, that firearms purchases have been down all across the state.

One can say that the revocation of the waiver was an act of economic terrorism against the mercantile class of Nevada, a powerstroke against the bourgoisese who rely on the public's desire to own possessions so as to survive. It's a God-damned consipiracy, I tell you!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:04:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Best news all year, thanks for posting.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#36]
out fuckin standing.... good work, all
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#37]
I told you so...  The Sheriff's and Chief's Assn are trying to spin their f**k up into a something good and the NRA is buying it...  If CCW holders hadn't bitched, do you think the Sheriff's would have fixed it???

I just received an email from NRA-ILA asking me to "thank" the Nevada Sheriffs.  What a bunch of crap!:

Please Contact and Thank Your Nevada Sheriff!

As of January 5, 2006, ATF agreed to allow Nevada's CCW permits to qualify as an alternative to a National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). As reported by your NRA in 2005, ATF conducted an audit that found a handful of Nevada Sheriffs not in compliance with federal law in relation to their permit issuance process, which resulted in the suspension of the exemption.  Thanks to your letters and phone calls, the Nevada Department of Public Safety and the Nevada Chiefs and Sheriffs Association signed a Memorandum of Understanding addressing the concerns raised by ATF in the audit, thereby allowing the Nevada CCW permits to be an acceptable alternative.

Please take a moment to contact your local Sheriff to say thank you for their quick action!

Carson City, Sheriff Kenny Furlong, (775) 887-2020 x1901, [email protected]

Churchill County, Sheriff Richard Ingram, (775) 423-3116, [email protected]

Clark County, Sheriff Bill Young, (702) 229-3231, [email protected]  

Douglas County, Sheriff Ron Pierini, (775) 782-9900, [email protected]

Elko County, Sheriff Neil Harris, (775) 738-3421, [email protected]

Esmeralda County, Sheriff Kenneth Elgan, (775) 485-6373

Eureka County, Sheriff Laurance Etter, (775) 237-5330, [email protected]

Humboldt County, Sheriff Gene A. Hill, (775) 623-6419, [email protected]

Lander County, Sheriff Ron Unger, (775) 635-1100, [email protected]

Lincoln County, Sheriff Dahl Bradfield, (775) 962-5151

Lyon County, Sheriff Sid Smith, (775) 463-6600, [email protected]

Mineral County, Sheriff Richard L. McKellip, (775) 945-2434

Nye County, Sheriff Anthony L. De Meo, (775) 482-8110, [email protected]

Pershing County, Sheriff Ron Skinner, (775) 273-2641, [email protected]

Storey County, Sheriff James Miller, (775) 847-0959

Washoe County, Sheriff Dennis Balaam, (775) 328-3001

White Pine County, Sheriff Bernie Romero, (775) 289-8808, [email protected]

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#38]
i emailed all the sheriffs departments in the state bitching about the BATF/CCW fiasco.......guess i'll email a few and thank them. Afew of them were pissed that they pulled this shit to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, that is wrong. On the letterhead, the background check is already listed as being completed. There is NO NICS fee when you pick up a handgun with a letterhead.

The letterhead is only for weapons used in the performance of duties including off-duty or back up weapons.

The letterhead also allows for a FFL from any state to sell to you and all they do is ship it direct to your dept.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, that is wrong. On the letterhead, the background check is already listed as being completed. There is NO NICS fee when you pick up a handgun with a letterhead.

The letterhead is only for weapons used in the performance of duties including off-duty or back up weapons.

The letterhead also allows for a FFL from any state to sell to you and all they do is ship it direct to your dept.

Whoops, you're correct, it's private sales to LEOs that require a NICS or CCW.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Private sales??

Or do you mean sales for personal use from a FFL?? That is correct there. Either a CCW or NICS fee will apply.

Private sales don't require any background check........especially since there is no program for performing such checks?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:11:43 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Private sales??

Or do you mean sales for personal use from a FFL?? That is correct there. Either a CCW or NICS fee will apply.

Private sales don't require any background check........especially since there is no program for performing such checks?

Yeah, that. Not sales between individuals.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top