Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2003 7:25:51 PM EDT
This is a cross post from the general forum but I though the local guys might be interested to know how these assholes treat people.

Everyone here it seems has had a bad experience at at a gun shop with rude employees. Well, nobody has had an experience like what happened to me today.

I go to a gun shop where I have documented proof I have spent over $3000 in the last 2 years. I know the owner and he knows me.

Well, I bought a rifle from this shop a couple weeks ago and was going to break it in today. So I needed a cleaning rod and bore guide. I went to said shop to get the Dewey one piece rod per some of your suggestions.

I walk in the shop, say hi to the owner, he knew I was coming because I called and talked to him, made sure he had the stuff I needed. He pointed me down the counter and said one of those guys will help you.

I go to the end of the counter where 2 guys that looked they were from the movie Deliverance only on steriods were standing around eating a sandwich. I asked one guy for a Dewey cleaning rod for my specific rifle and barrel size. He handed me a really long rod and I asked him if I needed one that long. He said, "it's your rifle, how should I know." I said, "ok, well, I bought the Savage 10fp from you guys with the 20" barrel, will this be a good rod for it". He says, "LOOK, HOW THE FUCK DO I KNOW, IT'S YOUR RIFLE".

I got so fucking mad at this point I looked him in the eye and said, "you know what, FUCK YOU THAN".

I threw the rod on the counter and told the owner I was never setting foot in his store again.

He apologized for his employee and said he would appreciate another opportunity to serve me again. I said, "ok, fine" and purchased the rod I went in for.

As I was paying for the rod the neanderthal whispers to me, "It's a small town, you'll get yours". I said really loud so everyone in the store could here, "WHAT DID YOU SAY, IT'S A SMALL TOWN AND I'LL GET MINE"???

I looked to the owner and he just stood there with a stick up his ass, he didn't say anything.

I called later and talked to the owner. He said I have always been polite to him and everyone else and he knows that guy has a bad temper sometimes. I said, "ok, fine, what are you going to do about him threatening me"? He said he isn't going to do anything about. If I want to shop there in the future he said he will personally help me, I don't have to work with that guy anymore.

I said, "look, if you want me back in that store, you call me when that guy quits or gets fired". The owner said, "I guess I won't see you back than and said goodbye and hung up.

Can you believe this shit?

What a dumbass. He shoos away a big spending customer to keep some asshole working there who doesn't really want to be there anyway.

I really need to open a gun store in this town, I would make a fortune and I would have fun doing it.

I don't understand why these assholes work at gun stores if they don't like dealing with people.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I had to get off my chest with fellow gun owners.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The only gun store in the valley I have found that is worth a damn is Center Mass, Leon the owner is a nice guy but his prices are high and he is way down south. I personally drive out to Overton Ace Hardware in Overton to avoid the Las Vegas gun stores or wait for the Crossroads of the West gunshow in Phoenix.

Edited to add, the first and last time I went to Bill's Buy and Sell I was approached by drug dealers asking if I wanted to buy crank, skrank, blow or whatever in the hell they were selling. I'll pass on risking my life to get some ammo or parts.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm... I've only been in there a few times but I was always treated well when I went.  I may have to go back again and say something.

Did you get the name of the asshole clerk?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hmmm... I've only been in there a few times but I was always treated well when I went.  I may have to go back again and say something.

Did you get the name of the asshole clerk?

Jason is his name.

Like I said,  I have been in there numerous times in the past.  This Jason guy must have had someone shit in his Cheerios or something that morning because he was just waiting to give someone attitude.  I just happened to be the first one in the store that morning that he helped.

What pissed me off is the way Bill handled it,  he stuck up for this asshole and said he just has a bad temper sometimes.  I don't agree with that type of mentality in the business world,  so I won't do business there anymore.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#4]

"It's a small town, you'll get yours".

ahhh, the very reason people carry concealed!

Sounds like a good place to stay away from. Also sounds like the owner was afraid of the asshole employee. I'd say tell them both to fuck off and take business elsewhere.

BTW, it doesn't hurt to tell other you know about what happend and to stay away from down there.

After thinking about this for a minute. Since the owner won't do anything, and the asshole was sporting a "fuck you" attitude, and since Wolfpack was approached for drugs for sale, sounds like the gun business may be just a front for a small time drug business.

Yeah, I'd say stay away for sure, no matter about the past GOOD business you did there. Carry your weapon, and be alert.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Coltcarbine wrote: ahhh, the very reason people carry concealed!

You got that right!  I have mine everywhere I go!!!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

After thinking about this for a minute. Since the owner won't do anything, and the asshole was sporting a "fuck you" attitude, and since Wolfpack was approached for drugs for sale, sounds like the gun business may be just a front for a small time drug business.

I wasn't too clear on that, I was approached by guys who were hanging out on the corner of the street there. I didn't know I could have gone in the back way so I walked all the way around the building and these freaks were sitting on the street. They had nothing to do with Bill's except they are in the same 'hood. Bill's is a gun store, just another on a long list of shitty ones.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#7]

As we all know, Bill's is in a MAJOR "nasty neighborhood". Too bad. I'm sure his market and staff would benefit from a re-location; but apparently HE'S happy......
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I've always been treated well at Bill's Buy and Sell.  If that had happened to me I would have asked Jason, "You mean you don't know how to use a tape measure?"
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#9]
maybe the clerk was the owners son,

i would not go back there either.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#10]
One of the guys we shoot with has known Bill for many years.  Basically his take is that Bill just doesn't care....period.

A few months ago, I had a VERY bad experience there involving a credit card.  I got the bad attitude etc.  The thing that was so frustrating besides Bill's nasty demenor was how much of a DUMBASS he is.  Seriously, he is really stupid.  I won't bore everyone with the details of my incident but suffice it to say that I stood there for 5 mins listening to Bill try to make sense.  It was sad.

As for his employees, everyone I met before being "banned" were totally inept when it came to firearms.  The one guy that seemed to know anything (forgot his name) was a kid that could not complete a sentance without mentioning his "RACEGUN".

Whatever, thank god for the internet!  I think the days for "Brick and mortar" gunshops are numbered.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
We should probably start a list of 'Good' stores. I've never had a bad experience with Bill's, but I don't really chat with the people. THey do have a great selection of stuff.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I really need to open a gun store in this town, I would make a fortune and I would have fun doing it.

I guess your laughing at the "make a fortune" part.  The reason I said that is because if I opened a gun store, the service would be EXEMPLARY,  almost what you would expect at a high end mens clothing store.  I'm serious,  I would customers coming back over and over again.

My prices wouldn't be the cheapest,  but they would be very competitive.

Where is your gun store?  It seems like you have one based on your handle.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I guess your laughing at the "make a fortune" part.  The reason I said that is because if I opened a gun store, the service would be EXEMPLARY,  almost what you would expect at a high end mens clothing store.  I'm serious,  I would customers coming back over and over again.

My prices wouldn't be the cheapest,  but they would be very competitive.

Leon at Center Mass Firearms has you beat in Henderson, but we really could use a shop like this in on the West side.  I'll spend enough there every month to keep your electricity on, at the very least!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#16]

FUCK Jason, Fuck Bill & fuck his business!!

Bill is obviously a MORON!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was in SW Washington.  After almost 5 years, I hated dealing with the public so bad I became the guy I came to run out of business.

Another gun store owner that hates dealing with people huh??

Geese,  what's with the industry,  I just don't get it,  I really don't.  At least you had the sense to get out of the business as opposed to hanging around and being miserable and taking it out on your customers.

Gunbert,  I agree with you in regards to Center Mass,  I have done business with him in the past and will continue to support his business.  I like his attitude.  I am on a list over there with him to take a re-loading class.  We are just waiting until enough people show interest and he will hold a class on reloading.  So if you know anyone that wants to learn how to reload,  call him up.  

Wsmith,  have you ever been to Bill's?  Do you know that jackoff Jason?  If you do,  you know what I'm talking about.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Everyone wants a gunstore.

8% Margins.
Knowitall Customers.
SGNs at Barnes & Nobels.
More governmental regulations that a nuclear disposal site.
Really, really dumb customers.
Really, really "educated" customers.
"How come you don't have a couch and a coffee pot in here?  I'd stay all day!"

Sorry, I think I was starting to sound like SteyrAUG (especially since it's all true!).

If the business is so bad to get into,  why even open the doors in the first place?  Knowing all those thing going in,  why even open the fucking door?

By the way,  if running a business was easy,  the bums on the corner would all be Bill Gates.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I have come to expect that in gun stores there will be people who know a lot or know a little.  I go in with a very good idea what i am looking for and how much I intend to spend.  Bills is not too bad for some reloading supplies.  Gun prices are fair but not that good, transfers are a little pricy so i will go else where.  I don't look for help from sales people, except to hand me the firearm.  I bought my last pistol from the last remaining pawn shop in this town that sell firearms.  Its on N. LV blvd and i don't remember the name at the present time.  Not bad prices and a very variable selection.  He has a whole wall of rifles that are likely going to go on sale this year or next.

The people who sell firearms in this town have an application from hell,  they want histories on everyone in the world and their families and thier friends and then they will want to look up your butt.  then they want liableity ins up the wazoo..  I think the county government needs an enema to get rid of unnecessary regulation and a few politicians who cannot seem to keep from whoring their offices.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I guess most of you guys are in the Vegas area. Im in Reno and theres one great shop I always deal with..."Shooters Shack" on Wells Ave. Rick the owner is pretty knowlegable and always friendly. Prices are always the best in town. Once in awhile when he's not there he has a guy working for him that may not know everything but he will go out of his way to help you. As for the rest of them they pretty much suck.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:55:18 PM EDT
[#23]
man, after and expereince like that, I understand why you hate them. Since you have spent so much money in there, its not as if you were a crack head just wasten time.  

Man, if you guys did open a gun shop in the summerlin area, i would buy there exclusively.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Funny. I've never been to Bill's, and suffice it to say I won't ever. I had a good experience at MG Kelly's on Sunset, and several good experiences at The Gun Store on Trop. I haven't found a reason to not go back to TGS.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Since I've moved into town, I've only been to Bill's once.  Honestly, the neighborhood was bad but I just moved from Long Beach so it felt like I was back in California.  When I went in, one of the guys at the counter was pretty nice and asked if I had been in before and explained to me where I could find everything.  I doubt it was the same guy you dealt with.  I wasn't too impressed with the shop, people, or prices so after what I've read, I probably won't go back.

As far as the nature of gun shop owners/employees in general, it just seems that they are in the business because they are passionate about guns (and there's nothing wrong with that).  I work in the hospitality industry here in Las Vegas and I can assure you that while you can enjoy selling guns, the focus has to be on the customer.  While I generally support any person that can turn their hobby into a business, it doesn't automatically turn an avid firearms enthusiast into a customer service guru when they open up a gun shop.  Honestly, I believe that those brave souls that can get it right are the ones that deserve our business.  

I'm still looking for a shop here in town to frequent and the one I'm leaning towards is Spurlock's in Henderson.  Kind of small but the guys in there have been great every time I've gone in.  

I appreciate you sharing your experience with us so that we don't have to suffer the same ordeal.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Well everyone is going to have their favorite shops and their own opinions and experiences. Ive found most of the shops in the area to be manned by decent people. You're going to run into cranky salesmen anywhere. I once worked in a gun shop and I can tell you some days my patience was stretched very thin by some of the people who would come in the store. As for Bill's Ive had nothing but postive experiences with them. They have always made their way over to me when Ive come into their store when they were busy. Ive spent quite a bit of money with them, namely my ACOG. Just put yourself in their shoes. They deal with some real scumbags day in and day out. Now the whole threat thing was out of line, but that wont stop me from shopping there again.                                                                                                                  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Been at Bill's only once about 2 years ago and did never come back. Never had any bad experiences with them but the location is just not that good. This is very sad when it's your own hard earned money that's involves. It seems that their customer satisfaction for repeat business is not their priorities. After hearing your bad experiences with them, then that will sealed my never going back there again.

I always go to Ms. Kara at MasterShooters on Sahara or to Mark at The Survival Store on Spring Mountain Rd. for the best friendly treatment that you can get.

Cheers, Badnews_III
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I second OldTroop's post. The 'Shooter's shack' on Wells in Reno is probably the best gig in town. They don't have the biggest selection but very friendly folks are behind the counter.
Silver State Arms on Kietzke is alright too, but significantly more expensive than the Shooter's Shack.
There's another outfit on Plumb Lane but I forgot the name. Strange people with very strange opinions. Probably won't see me again.

I'm through dealing with pricks. I'd rather pay a few bucks more and give my business to friendly and professional people. And that counts for all of my business. When things go south the trouble is just not worth it.

Surely there must be one decent gunstore in LV...?!

LRdrvr
Reno
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Lrdrivr wrote:  "Surely there must be one decent gunstore in LV...?!

Actually,  I have had great experiences at "All Weopons Plus" on Decatur.  Nice guy and very satisfied with his gunsmithing.

Center Mass Firearms also gets my nod,  he's a little high on prices but makes it up in service.

Master's Shooter's Supply on W. Sahara,  very nice owner,  I believe his daughter works there too,  they are both very friendly and have a decent selection.

Accuracy Gun Shop on Boulder Highway is kind of an old school gun shop but the guy that helped me when I was there was very nice and had some good information.

Yes,  there is hope here in Vegas. LOL
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Longun45, I believe you are referring to the Pawn Palace, I use them for my transfers whenever I buy anything via the internet or SGN. they charge $20. for receivers and rifles, I can't remember how much for handguns but it is slightly higher.

Tom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top