Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2003 9:13:41 PM EDT
So, I've been thinking of becoming an LEO for a while.  I had the idea after college and now it feels more compelling.  Anybody here know what the academy is like for Metro or Henderson PD?  Any thoughts or input?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
NLVPD makes the most of any dept in the state. Lots to keep you busy with too...never a dull moment.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#2]
wolf, how do you find out government salary figures or ranges? i thought there was a website or something that provided that info, but can't seem to find it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:51:54 AM EDT
[#3]
so not to spam this thread....

45calmike, i believe HendPD, Metro and Northtown are all hiring right now. I say put in your app, and see what happens! It's my understanding that Metro training is different from the other academies; Metro is separate and all the other branches go to another one. I have a friend that just finished training for a law enforcement position for the Sec. of State.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#4]
North Las Vegas and Henderson just pulled out of the Southern Nevada Police Academy.  I beleive that Henderson is going to start a new Academy, until then they may use CCSN.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I called metro and henderson a few days ago- while at work no less...hahaha how's that for using company time??? oh well

metro says they are not taking apps until the fall and henderson will not be taking apps until february 04.  I cannot pick up an app until they open the position. so i got a few months to get into shape to run/sprint the 1.5 mile in 17 mins.

funny thing is, two weeks ago, i checked lvmpd.com and there was no job fairs listed, i checked yesterday and they had job fairs over the weekend....and i missed them both dammit!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
wolf, how do you find out government salary figures or ranges? i thought there was a website or something that provided that info, but can't seem to find it.

I used to do some work for the NLVPD and it is just a fact that NLVPD makes the most. They are a hell of a PD, they don't have much of a police station or the best equiptment but I'd put my life in their hands alot faster than one of Metro's guys. They are top notch officers, at least the ones I have met and dealt with.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]
i would agree for the most part about Northtown cops, Wolf. I've got a few acquaintances that i've met 'on the job' and work with them regularly.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me know when you go in to test, Mike, I'll go with you.  I can also tell you what to expect on Metro's test, Bpad and interview.  Been there and done that... I shoulda turned in my packet, but oh well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
...funny thing is, two weeks ago, i checked lvmpd.com and there was no job fairs listed, i checked yesterday and they had job fairs over the weekend....and i missed them both dammit!!!

They probably advertise exclusively in Spanish or Ebonics language papers.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Let me know when you go in to test, Mike, I'll go with you.  I can also tell you what to expect on Metro's test, Bpad and interview.  Been there and done that... I shoulda turned in my packet, but oh well.

Maybe it's time for a career change? Aren't you sick of hocking cellphones, like me? HAHHAHAHHA
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:35:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Mike, Have you thought of BLM LE?  I know they are looking to fill some positions here in So. Nevada.  Give me a call and I can give you a name to get more info.  If I were thinking about going into LE, this would interest me.  Being outdoors, 4x4's, Being a fed LEO (can you say nationwide CCW?) and they are junking their mini-14 for AR's as we speak!!!

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#12]

....about going into LE, this would interest me.  Being outdoors, 4x4's, Being a fed LEO (can you say nationwide CCW?) and they are junking their mini-14 for AR's as we speak!!!

YO!!!!!! That's something I haven't thought of. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Richard, I'll take that information on the BLM positions.  I'll email you later.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Becoming a LEO has long been a desired career of mine.  Maybe it runs in the family.  My father just retired from the LA Sheriff's Dept, my brother and his wife are with DC Metro Police, and my uncle is also with the LASD.  

I thought about NV State Trooper, however, with having gotten married and the wife not wanting to move out of the area it would create a problem because assignment can be anywhere in the state.  But my wife is supportive of me pursing a LEO career in the local area.

I was hoping the Metro would have something coming up soon but their web page doesn't have anything.  I've looked at NLVPD but the NLV HR web page only shows they are accepting applications for lateral transfers from other municipalities.  I haven't seen anything for Henderson (where I live) either.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#15]
NHP pays the lowest in the state from what I've heard....don't know if it's true or not.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#16]
NHP does pay the lowest, and the average patrolman can expect to make between $35-45k the first few years, INCLUDING overtime. Also, NHP and Metro do not pay nicely for court time as they should, which is often an incentive for other departments.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Metro has a very decent salary schedule. I can not cite specifics. One thing to consider in choosing a job such as you are thinking about. The smaller the dept. the less opportunity for advancement. Clark County is growing by leaps and bounds. They need to hire people to serve this growing public. However, not all the communities in Clark County are growing at the same rate. This also applies to overtime. The more people the dept employs, the more people off sick, on vacation or whatever. So, they need people to fill in for them. Then you get into budgets the dept with the biggest budget has the money to hire officers, pay overtime, pay benefits etc. Then of course there is the overtime for events. All the action is with Metro.  If there was an economic downturn, the bigger department has the money to weather the storm.
I don't know how federal agencies work things, but I seriously doubt that they have a union. Metro has a union. This is a good thing. Instead of being on a payscale where you are a GS-? you have collective bargining rights with a new contract negotiated every three years.

I am not a cop, nor do I play one on TV. However I am a public employee who works on a daily basis with Metro. I am a firefighter with Clark County. I have a pretty good insight into the basics of the thing but I don't know the intimate details. I know the differences between our dept and that of NLV, Henderson and the city of Las Vegas. I have some idea of Metro's contract because our union and their union negotiate based on what each other got in their contract..............

I can tell you that the big department will get the better pay, better equipment, better chance of advancement, bigger and stronger union. They will hire more people meaning you gain senority at a faster rate.................. etc. This all eventually translates into a better pension. Do yourself a favor. Go for the varsity team.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top