Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 12:57:29 AM EDT
Where is your shop for all in Vegas in terms of ammo, firearms, and accessories?  How are the staff?

I've visted and shot at:

The Gun Store on Tropicana: nice bunch of people.  Prices seem cheaper/more reasonable.

Discount Firearms: Again, friendly people.  Prices seem fair.  I heard a rumuor that they were bought out by American Shooters, but when I called DFI, they denied it.

Anybody else?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:12:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer Bills Buy and Sell at 1104 Fremont St. They have the best prices, selection and service in my opinion. Bill prices beat Galyans, which is a national chain. Everytime I go to Bills they have something new and the clerks know their business. I like the Gun Store but its always too damn busy in there with all the tourists. Discount Firearms is ok, Ive always thought the people there were a bit cranky. American Shooters is ok, but some of the people who work there are a tad arrogant. Also, dont buy ammo from them if you're going to shoot on their range, talk about highway robbery. If you're into higher end stuff, go see Leon at Center Mass Firearms in Henderson. Leon is a real nice guy and his service is top notch. pretty much all the rest of the stores in town suck in my opinion, jerky clerks, bad service and too many gun store commandos who frequent them. I hope this answers your question.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I've found I buy just about all my firearms related stuff over the internet these days. No sales tax, delivered to your door and they have what you are looking for. If I do go into a store its Discount or Center Mass. Walmart is good for 9mm ammo in a pinch.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I called center mass firearms the other day.  He was straight to the point and wouldn't do phone quotes over the phone on new gear, just used ones.  He was real "protective" of his business and mentioned liars, cheats, and people who call but never come that's why he doesn't do business over the phone but rather invited me to come over to the store..  I understand that.  I may just go over there.

Also, I am looking for places with flexible payment options i.e. credit card and layaway  plans since I may not always have all the cash on hand.

I called Bills buy and sell as well and they sounded real busy. Credit card surcharge is 1% and Debit is 2% or something like that.  I've heard good word of mouth about Bills.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've found I buy just about all my firearms related stuff over the internet these days. No sales tax, delivered to your door and they have what you are looking for. If I do go into a store its Discount or Center Mass. Walmart is good for 9mm ammo in a pinch.

I agree with the internet/ebay etc!  I find myself doing more and more online myself and I love it!

As for local shops, I too have discovered Bill's recently and can't say enough for them.  Their selection is by far the best in town and their service is above average.  My only problem with them is I spend tooooo much money whenever I go in.  I just bought another AR there a few weeks ago.  Brand new in box Olympic that they probably only made $40-50 bucks on.  Great place with new stuff all the time.

As for the other shops in town, I agree with most of what has been said.  I don't like the Gun Store with all the tourists and most of the others just have a bad attitude to the casual visitor.  Seriously, what is with some of these guys?  They act as if they are doing you a big favor and you would think they could tell the difference by now between the knowledgeable shooter and the casual buyer.  I am just tired of being lied to by these guys.  By far the worst is MG Kelly's on Sunset.  I hope this guy is making a good living off the one time buyer because he sure isn't doing it off the repeat customer.  Another example of what I am talking about is American Shooter.  When I first moved here I went in to buy some Glock 17 mags.....I wanted 6 of them so we were talking about a chunk of change.  The guy behind the counter gives me this look and then tries to lecture me on how hicap mags are illegal to sell.  This from a guy who works in a LAS VEGAS gunstore.  I told him I was not looking for LE mags and he tells me that ANY hicap mag can't be sold.  I kid you not.  Needless to say, I have never been back to American since.  I hope that guy works cheap because he cost them some money that day.  

Thank God for the internet.

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to agree with Rick about MG Kelly's!  My father in-law did a trade with him and it just dragged on for months and then the rifle was not in the conditioned promised when it finally did show up.  We were in there one time and another customer was complaining that he had been waiting three weeks for Kelly to ship a rifle for him and that he had prepaid.  The customer asked for his rifle and his money back and stated that everyone he knows would know about the lousy service.  The rifle (which had not even been boxed up) and money were handed back without so much as an apology or even a hint of concern. I have not gone back since and never will.

I am coming out this weekend and plan on going to the Cashman show for a few items.  Do you think Bill's will beat the show prices on items like a TacStar side saddle, shotgun sling swivels, and a few other items? I'd hate to waste my time and money at the show.  I'll probably check out Bill's anyway just because I've never been by there before. Thanks for the tip!

Steve
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Steve, If you have not already done so, you should give Bills a call to make sure he is open this weekend.  Most gun shops are locked tight on gunshow weekends.  As for small items like you described, I think Bills is basically retail on stuff like that.  Pretty good selection though.  How long are you going to be in town?  Planning on getting any trigger time in?

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Leon at Center Mass is a nice guy but high priced IMO. I hate the assholes at America Shooters and Discount...that wheelchair guy is a dick. The only FFL I really like is Ace Overton Hardware in Overton...about 45 minutes north of Vegas, he has a good selection, and pretty good prices, nice guys too..a father and son team who will talk guns all day with NO attitude. I do most of my gun buying private party or trading with friends.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Mike, i'm going to 'hi-jack' your thread here a bit. Guys, can you list what stores are worth visiting for inventory? (meaning, regardless of employee attitude). I usually go to Discount Guns on Boulder, and Bill's. What else is out there?

1. Discount
2. Bills
3. Master's Shooter's supply (floyd is pretty nice)
4. Center Mass
5. The Gun Store
6. Kelly's
7. Galyan's
8. Accuracy
9. Spurlock's
.....where else?!

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Mike, I'm going to 'hi-jack' your thread here a bit. Guys, can you list what stores are worth visiting for inventory?

Come on over to the 'Pack's house and bring your trading material!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Wolpack, FWIW the "wheelchair guy" doesn't work at Discount any more. Anna and Mike her husband (the owners) are OK. Although their prices aren't as good as they once were. I agree about Center Mass. Leon's got some cool stuff but he's not giving it away by any means. Anybody have a line on any post ban lowers cheap in town? Preferably Bushmaster but Armalite/Eagle will do.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Leon @ Center Mass was cool to deal with. Bill's buy and sell has had some really good Bushmaster prices and is a cool shop. I've been to the Gun Store, they have some pretty good prices but it usually is busy because they do hold the tourist market.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#12]
((((NO ONE, I MEAN NO ONE IN TOWN CAN COMPETE WITH BILL'S ON PRICE AND INVENTORY, HANDS DOWN))))
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Bill's by far is my favorite home away from home.  I have been going there for about two years now.  The regular guys that work there really know their shit.  If you have a question you have a good chance it will be answered.  If they are not too busy they will sit and talk with for a long time.  Discount is good also but it is just too far from Nellis AFB to make it worth the trip sometimes.  I did buy a 590 from them a month ago though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Bills it is, I'm gonna head on out there today.

Edit to add:

Just came back from Bills.  Excellent service from Tom.  He didn't rush the sale and went over all the charges, did all the paperwork, and went over the feautres on my handgun.  Top Notch and I like how he personalized everything by calling me by name.  Great selection and the prices are great, too.

I was looking forward to buying the SA 1911 A1 milspec, but ended up buying the Armscor 45ACP.  And they are pretty cool with their Layaway plan as well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I frequent Spurlocks.  Rance is a great guy, and while he may not have a collection of new shiny pistols to rival Bills, he can order it and keep the price reasonable.  Also, for reloading supplies that I need I'll go there often as he can get most anything I need.  He usually keeps a pot a coffee on and if he isn't super-busy he's easy to converse with.

He's on Basic, about 100 yards west of boulder highway.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Anybody have a line on any post ban lowers cheap in town?

i don't recall anyone else selling stripped lowers other than Bill's. I think he wants $139? each??

Like Wolfpack said, i'm sure amongst us an extra postban lower can be found...
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anybody have a line on any post ban lowers cheap in town?

i don't recall anyone else selling stripped lowers other than Bill's. I think he wants $139? each??

Like Wolfpack said, i'm sure amongst us an extra postban lower can be found...

Actually I think Bill's has an Olympic stripped down there for $125
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll try the gunshow and see if I can find one there. I'd order one of Quantico's Eagle Arms lowers but I think Wolfpack has cornered the market in them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:31:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:36:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Eric, you in Vegas yet?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Eric, I've used Spurlock's for an FFL transfer.  He charges $25 for the transfer, paid when you pickup the firearm.  I also use him for obtaining a lot of reloading supplies as well.  I might save a couple of dollars with places like MidwayUSA, but Rance has given me great service.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#24]
FYI, my guy in Overton did 6 lowers for $20 but I had to buy a gun from him....but I'm ok with that, his prices are good so it was 7 total serial numbers, 3 yellow sheets for $20.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I called Bills buy and sell as well and they sounded real busy. Credit card surcharge is 1% and Debit is 2% or something like that.  I've heard good word of mouth about Bills.

FWIW, charging a surcharge for credit cards is illegal in most states, and credit card companies specifically prohibit it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Discount is a great place and Ana is cool and it is the place to get Glocks or Kimbers

Accuracy is ok to get ammo and inexpensive used firearms (I browse there for SKS rifles or Smith handguns someone has sold for beer money) but their good gunsmith (ANZAC FAL qualified) went back to NZ (sigh) their new "smith" isn't...

Spurlocks (Henderson) is the place for highend hunting rifles and has a good selection of pistols they do a great job of minor gunsmithing and fitting etc...

Bill and I got crossways years ago over a rifle that was a total jammamatic dog from the minute I bought it and I don't go there as a matter of choice but other people I know go there for semi autos

The Gun store is a tourist trap and has some great rental guns as well as sometimes having some that no one else can get but they do not often deal as Discount Spurlocks and Accuracy may

MG Kellys on Sunset is expensive but he has a great selection
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:34:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Spurlocks had some good prices on some pistols and revolvers a few days ago.  I believe I spoke with Rance.  He says to stop by since their inventory changes often.  Where is accuracy gunshop?  

The little Asian girl at Discount is named Ana?  She's there like every day.  I shoot there during my lunch hour sometimes.  They seem to have decent prices.

Bills is cool.  I bought my first handgun there a few weeks ago.  I bought my second handgun at The Gun Store because they had it for about $20 cheaper than Bills and Discount was closer to my side of town.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Speaking of gun shops.  There is a new shop being built at Rainbow and Sahara.  CCS Guns.  It doesn't look like they are in any hurry to open though.  Anyone know anything about who they are?

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Speaking of gun shops.  There is a new shop being built at Rainbow and Sahara.  CCS Guns.  It doesn't look like they are in any hurry to open though.  Anyone know anything about who they are?

Ryan knows, I think he said it's the same jackass who owns the shop at Jones and 95 next to the 7-11. I went in there about a year ago and started looking around, the grumpy old man behind the counter asked me if I wanted to buy anything and I told him I was just looking because I had only been inside for about a minute. He raises his voice and tells me if he had less lookers and more buyers he would be a lot happier, so I gave him one less looker and left. He's a dick.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Rick, Ive been to that store too, on Clarice and Jones. What a bunch of jagoffs. They didnt have shit in there. But the place was chock full of people. Not that those jackasses would get my money anyways. I just like Bill's.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I think you are right, I must have blocked out of my mind........

I had an AR barrel installed there last year and it wasn't a bad experience really.  Chris (I think his name is) was ok.  Not cheap but now really expensive either.  As I was paying for the job I was looking around and they had some holsters and general crap in some boxes with price tags on them.  Some of it was used junk but a couple of thing I was interested in.  When I asked how much (I was also buying a handgun and spending @ $400) a loud nasty voice came from the back snapping "The prices marked!  Can't you read?!  The owner of the shop is a nasty woman with issues to say the least.  Needless to say, I have not been back.  I did call a few weeks later to ask Chris how much they charged to do an out of state xfer.......$100 he said!!!!!!  When I asked why SOOOOOOOO much he gave me some bullshit reason about how the Feds charge tens of thousands of dollars now for an FFL and most shops charge more blah blah blah.  

It is ABSOLUTELY STAGGERING how most (not all) of the gun shops in this town are just a bunch of dumbass rip joints with ZERO interest in building a clientele.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top