Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2003 11:29:31 PM EDT
Carried my 1911 through a store and nobody said anything about it.  Going to do it again.  I love Nevada.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Im still too inured with an eastern mentality I wont do it yet, still afraid of the cops. I kept asking Barrel Burner yesterday, "You mean thats legal out here?"
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]
It's legal in Viginia too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Really ?  I thought NEV was the only open carry state. How often do you see it ?
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
What store may I ask? Any weird looks?
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Really ?  I thought NEV was the only open carry state. How often do you see it ?

It's legal in Az also, and more I'm sure.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What store may I ask? Any weird looks?

It was just a 7/11 on Craig and Nellis.  The clerk kinda looked at me but no weird looks and he didn't say anything.  Was going to stop in at the Blueberry Hill for food but DefensorFortis was being a little Ohio native bitch.

Defensor- Send those shooting pics you took.  I have to figure out how to download your bayonet charge on the internet.  I am still laughing my ass off everytime I watch it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I open carry all the time.  I feel a little more comfortable doing it with a ccw since it gives me the freedom to thow on a windbreaker or untuck my shirt when I want to.  I really dont get any "funny" looks, I assume that everyone just thinks what I would think.....That I am a cop.  If I were to get any reaction it would be better service in stores and resturants!

No big deal although I would not open carry around "tourist" areas.  No need to freak out the tourists from cali again that is where the CCW comes in handy.

Link Posted: 4/25/2003 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 Was going to stop in at the Blueberry Hill for food but DefensorFortis was being a little Ohio native bitch.

Oh... I know a guy like that, though he shall remain nameless.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You talkin' to me?
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You talkin' to me?

Well, are you a bitch?
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Wisconsin's got open carry.

now if we could only get concealed carry...
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Is it legal to have a loaded shotgun or rifle in the cab of a truck?  I know not in N LV but other than that?
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wisconsin's got open carry.

now if we could only get concealed carry...

oregon's got both
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is it legal to have a loaded shotgun or rifle in the cab of a truck?  I know not in N LV but other than that?

No problem.  

Add Boulder City to your list with NLV.

Link Posted: 4/25/2003 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Add Kentucky to your open carry list.

Bob
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You talkin' to me?

No... not you Bob, you staunch supporter of the second amendment, you!
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Barrel Burner, Im going to need that email address so  can send the pics and films I took.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I open carried in AZ for about two months before I received my CCW. No one even seemed to notice.

THISISME
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

NO!

It is not legal to transport a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle.  In fact it isn't even legal to allow a loaded weapon to rest on a vehicle, such as on the tailgate, or against a tire.

A rifle or shotgun is considered loaded if there is a round in the chamber, or in the case of blackpowder, there is a cap on or powder in the flash pan.

A rifle or shotgun with an empty chamber but a loaded magazine is not considered loaded.

EDIT:  This is for the entire state of Nevada.

Glenn
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not very often.

The weapon has to be visible from 3 angles, ie from the front, back and to the side. It pretty much limits you to summer time carrying, unless you have a low slung holster.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#21]
i kinda wish it was here too...
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO!

It is not legal to transport a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle.  In fact it isn't even legal to allow a loaded weapon to rest on a vehicle, such as on the tailgate, or against a tire.

A rifle or shotgun is considered loaded if there is a round in the chamber, or in the case of blackpowder, there is a cap on or powder in the flash pan.

A rifle or shotgun with an empty chamber but a loaded magazine is not considered loaded.

Glenn

I don't want to get into a big argument on this point especially since it involves some legal interpretation but I disagree with you.  I think it is pretty accepted that ones vehicle is considered an extension of ones domicile in Nevada state law.  The Nevada AG has issued many opinions over the years backing this up.

Yes there are fine lines to be drawn such as concealing on your person without a CCW in a vehicle etc.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2003 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO!

Glenn

I don't want to get into a big argument on this point especially since it involves some legal interpretation but I disagree with you.  I think it is pretty accepted that ones vehicle is considered an extension of ones domicile in Nevada state law.  The Nevada AG has issued many opinions over the years backing this up.

Yes there are fine lines to be drawn such as concealing on your person without a CCW in a vehicle etc.  

Either way, I would carry a long gun in my truck with the chamber empty anyway.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Nevada, Arizona, Utah, and New Mexico all allow open carry.
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#25]
BroncoGlenn is right, no loaded rifles or any kind of long gun in a vehicle, anywhere in the state.

Here it is right off of the NRA website:

It is unlawful to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle that is being used on a public highway. A firearm is loaded if there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in the firing chamber but not when the only cartridges or shells are in the magazine.

www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=NV
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#26]
So, lemme ask again for clarity... i can toss my AR15 in my trunk with a full mag, mag inserted, as long as there isnt a round physically IN chamber?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Alaska is open carry - just not in Anchorage.

We also have CC.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:05:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
So, lemme ask again for clarity... i can toss my AR15 in my trunk with a full mag, mag inserted, as long as there isnt a round physically IN chamber?

DJ,
Correct. You can have a loaded magazine in the weapon (or the magazine loaded in the case of a shotgun) but no cartridge in the chamber. Also, it doesn't have to be in the trunk.
HTH
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Why the trunk?  This aint Kalifornia.  You can have it sitting next to you on the seat.  If I'm going out hunting I'll keep a rifle next to me, with the butt on the tranny hump and the barrel along my right leg.  Or, in my Bronco I've got a Big Sky rack for overhead mounting.  Full magazine, just an empty chamber.

Depending on where you are going though, sometimes keeping it in the truck or in an unmarked case is nice as it keeps the honest people honest.  Having a rifle in plain sight in a vehicle sitting at a 7-11 while going inside for a soda is not being responsible.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It is unlawful to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle that is being used on a public highway. A firearm is loaded if there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in the firing chamber but not when the only cartridges or shells are in the magazine.

It is important to recognize that a public highway is more than what many people think a highway is.  For purposes of the law though, a public highway is any road, improved or not, that is maintained in some fashion by public funds or on public land.  This pretty much encompasses everything from 4x4 trails to 8 lane interstates.  Ranches with access roads on the private property would be excluded.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Of course NLV has to throw a wrench in everything.  I wish that town would pull it's head out.  I avoid Northtown like the plague.  It's like I am back in California.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Is there a legal standard regarding open carry holsters here? Does it have to be a belt holster or can your open carry with one of those tactical thigh holsters as well?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Well I don't know but thats how I carried my 1911.  I used my issued M12 Bianchi flap holster with a CQB Solutions hip extention.  It was the only holster that would fit my Operator.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Of course NLV has to throw a wrench in everything.  I wish that town would pull it's head out.  I avoid Northtown like the plague.  It's like I am back in California.

Untrue, if you have your CCW there is no difference between NLV and LV. The NLV law is you cannot have a gun in your car unless you are going or coming from a range or such, if you have your CCW that point is moot. Open carry is also legal in NLV.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Here is the actual municipal code for NLV:

9.32.040 Dangerous or deadly weapon defined.

The term "dangerous or deadly weapons" includes, but is not limited to, any dirk or dagger; any knife with a blade three inches or more in length, and any snap-blade or spring-blade knife, regardless of the length of the blade; any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool; any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle; any dangerous or deadly weapon within the meaning of any law of this state restricting the use thereof; and any cutting, stabbing, or bludgeoning weapon or device capable of inflicting grievous bodily harm; and any firearm other than (a) one carried pursuant to a valid permit, issued by a duly authorized government authority, or (b) an ordinary rifle or shotgun lawfully carried for purposes of hunting or other lawful sport. (Prior code § 7.22.040)

9.32.080 Deadly weapon prohibited in vehicle--Exceptions.

It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession in any automobile, truck, motorcycle, or any other type of vehicle any dangerous or deadly weapon, but this restriction shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation. (Ord. 596 § 1, 1978: prior code § 7.22.070)

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Untrue, if you have your CCW there is no difference between NLV and LV. The NLV law is you cannot have a gun in your car unless you are going or coming from a range or such, if you have your CCW that point is moot. Open carry is also legal in NLV.

I know what you stated is true but what I was saying concerns shotguns or rifles in my truck.  If I chose to keep my 590 or AR (whenever I get another one)in my truck I can get screwed in NLV right?  I do have a ccw but that won't cover me from NLV laws in regards to long guns.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Can some of you VA & W.VA members give me some help with the same topic here:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=24&t=169900
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top