Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 4:57:16 AM EDT
Anyone know. I'm digging through the wisconsin laws but well ya know how long that takes. If anyone knows or mught have a idea where I can look to shortten up this search I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:05:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't quote a law, but it seems unlikely.  Gas stations & hardware stores are selling ammo w/no firearms in sight, and I doubt they have an FFL.  I'll look around.  Might be Federal, as I don't recall it being mentioned in state statute.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:11:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Seems unlikely to me as well.

You need a fed-license to import ammo, but I think distributors and retailers merely have to comply with fire code and local ordinance.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys

Still digging!

closest thing I can find that deals with it is this

66.0409(4)(a)
(a)  Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision from continuing to enforce an ordinance or resolution that is in effect on November 18, 1995, and that regulates the sale, purchase, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, if the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.

Still can't find anything on the books about needing to have an FFL to sell ammo in wisconsin. But I still have to find something that says that you don't.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Still can't find anything on the books about needing to have an FFL to sell ammo in wisconsin. But I still have to find something that says that you don't.

You may be SOL on that.

I re-checked state statutes, I can't find any other mentions.  My assumption is it's all Federal.  Might try calling one of the companies selling w/o FFL?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You may be SOL on that.

I re-checked state statutes, I can't find any other mentions.  My assumption is it's all Federal.  Might try calling one of the companies selling w/o FFL?

i don't know any

ETA: Found it on that BATFE website FAQ you do not need an FFL to sell small arms ammo, only to import it or manufacture it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#6]
BATFE.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
BATFE.

I edited y post above, BATFE provided the answer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:38:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup, ok to sell without, but you do need a license to reload/manufacture for resale.
Cheers,
Dave
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yup, ok to sell without, but you do need a license to reload/manufacture for resale.
Cheers,
Dave

Should be good to go then, just sales no making or importing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cheers,
Dave

Should be good to go then, just sales no making or importing.

I will take 1000 rounds of 20 mike mike.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#11]
If you manufacture the ammunition, you will need a manufacturing license from the ATF. As a company you already have the business registered in the state. Selling ammunition to under age individuals is a federal violation. You will need a waiver stating age and signed if not face to face. Keep records of purchases to verify age to cover your own butt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top