Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 2:48:01 PM EDT
Is all of the +P and +P+ ammo for LE only now?? Did I miss something somewhere? I want some +P+ ammo and the only place that seems to have it is Streichers and it is marked for LE only.
What's the deal?

Todd
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you should become a cop, then you can buy your ammo.  But until you are a cop, you aren't qualified to shoot that stuff, you could put an eye out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Maybe you should become a cop, then you can buy your ammo.  But until you are a cop, you aren't qualified to shoot that stuff, you could put an eye out.

But funny enough I am qualified to build the stuff.

I just wanted to buy it, it is easier that way.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is all of the +P and +P+ ammo for LE only now?? Did I miss something somewhere? I want some +P+ ammo and the only place that seems to have it is Streichers and it is marked for LE only.
What's the deal?
Todd

That's funny... I've bought pistols in that store but the ammo is LE only.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
FT, seeing as you already reload, rolling your own is probably a better option.

There isn't any industry standard for +p, +p+, or +p+++++++.
Every manufacturer makes up their own definition.

Some extra powder,
A bunch more.
Much as we could fit in the brass.

I've always been leery. You don't know what you're getting. But, to answer the question, I haven't heard anything about any restrictions. I think the just label it that way as a marketing tactic.

"Hey look, Joe, those must be super-duper lethal; they're only for cops."

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:45:20 AM EDT
[#5]
When did they come out with .45 ACP +P? Never heard of that before until some one claimed they shoot that with their 1911.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:00:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
FT, seeing as you already reload, rolling your own is probably a better option.

There isn't any industry standard for +p, +p+, or +p+++++++.
Every manufacturer makes up their own definition.

Some extra powder,
A bunch more.
Much as we could fit in the brass.

I've always been leery. You don't know what you're getting. But, to answer the question, I haven't heard anything about any restrictions. I think the just label it that way as a marketing tactic.

"Hey look, Joe, those must be super-duper lethal; they're only for cops."

I was just under the ussumption that it was LE only. Even over at Ammoman.com the +P stuff says "Puplic welcome" if I remember correctly.

I would on average normally just make my own. I just wanted a box or to to try and use as a baseline.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:25:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When did they come out with .45 ACP +P? Never heard of that before until some one claimed they shoot that with their 1911.

Been around for a while, but it seems lately like Federal is the only mainline manufacturer to offer a factory load (HST).  I bought about 500 rounds of the stuff, and it it now my carry ammo.  There is also something out there called "45 Super", which approaches +P+ status, but unless you're shooting an HK USP, it's reccomended that you get a new barrel and recoil springs.  The exterior dimensions are the same as 45 ACP, but the interior web of the case is strengthened, and the pressures are a lot higher than SAAMI spec.  It's damn near considered a wildcat.

Flamethrower:

Streicher's caters to cops, but just because the box says "Law Enforcement Ammunition" does NOT mean that it is a restricted sales item.  That would be a policy the store has (or maybe the manufaturer).

Shooter's Shop ordered the HST +P for me with no problems except for the wait, and I believe you can order the same from Streicher's website (even if you're not LEO) and have it shipped.

ETA: CorBon has some loadings that are not labeled as "+P" or "+P+", but if you look at the velocity numbers, they should be.  FYI: If you're just looking for a hot load...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:08:48 AM EDT
[#8]
If it's for that beretta of yours, stay away from +p+ ammo, +P is fine, but I've seen beretta slides that have cracked from 1k or less of +p+. +P ammo really isn't going to do anything more for you anyway unless yer shooting a shorter barreled pistol.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What's the deal?

Todd

Todd, buy whichever you want (this is still America   ).  +P+ ammo is not limited by law to LE, but is the policy of some manufacturers (Winchester's +P+ 9mm load, for example).

Personally, I think +P+ ammo is all marketing.  The terminal effectiveness is no different than a decent +P load.  Check out Federal's HST or Winchester's RA9T (not even +P).  +P+ will just put more wear on your guns and generate more muzzle flip.  I'm carrying HST and Golden Saber in my 9mms.

Of course, there's the CDI factor to be considered  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If it's for that beretta of yours, stay away from +p+ ammo, +P is fine, but I've seen beretta slides that have cracked from 1k or less of +p+. +P ammo really isn't going to do anything more for you anyway unless yer shooting a shorter barreled pistol.

I have heard the same thing about cracked slides. I am not looking to shoot tons of it. I want to have it around and do some testing with it.

As for the LE marking. It was Streichers labels and not the box label that said LE only. I think I will ask about it the next time I am there.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#11]
My guess is they have the labels on the ammo because it is usually much less than you can get it in the usual gun shops or other places that sell ammo.  Law Enforcement pricing can sometimes get a box of 50 for the price most places sell for 25 at Streichers so it is probably a policy thing.  Not saying its right but that is probably the reason for the labels.  Doubt it has to due with if its +p+ so much but you never know it might be. RnR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top