Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 10:32:21 PM EDT
Okay, a goofy post.......

A fellow deputy that I work with wants me to get rid of some coyotes that are apparently getting out of hand on their property.  I'm not quite sure what is meant by that, just that they want them gone....as in, dead.  Property is in the Eau Claire area.

So, since I haven't hunted animals in a LONG time (and never coyotes), I need some assistance so that I can be ahead of the curve.  I understand a small game license is needed.... also keep in mind that I do not have any access to dogs to chase them down.

This is going to be just me versus the 'yotes.

So, after you get your chuckles out of the way..... fill me in.  

VJ
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:05:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the predatormasters.com site and start reading.

The basic theory is to call them in using a rabbit distress call or a howler.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:36:00 AM EDT
[#2]
If I'm not mistaken, if they are killing livestock, the property owner can eliminate them without a license. DOuble check with the DNR.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:52:39 AM EDT
[#3]
"Have Gun, Will Travel"

I think I smell a ARfcom event brewing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:09:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Resident landowner and family don't need a license and can hunt year-round.  p. 9

Can be hunted at night.  p. 16

Can use a call.  p. 18

Unlimited daily bag.  p. 25

Source

I've only been coyote hunting once.  It was winter, it was cold, and I had no idea what I was doing.  I did hear them howling, though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#5]
using a light to hunt coyotes at night is not allowed.  OK for the other species, but not yotes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
using a light to hunt coyotes at night is not allowed.  OK for the other species, but not yotes.

Might want to check that again.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I just read that you can you a light when you're about to shoot.  Whatever that means.  There was a thread about it on predatormasters not too long ago.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Night Hunting: Coyote, fox, or raccoon may be hunted without hunting hour
restrictions except:
1. During the bear and bow deer seasons when hunting hours listed in the tables on
pages 28-31 apply to bow hunting all species.
2. During the regular gun deer season outside of CWD zones from November 19 -
27, when normal hunting hours listed on pages 28-31 apply to hunting all
species. This restriction does not apply during the muzzle-loader, Zone T, or
CWD seasons.
Use of Lights: A light may be used at the point of kill while hunting
raccoon and fox. Lights may not be used to shine or search for these
animals.

Source is the same one glenn gave, page 25.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Night Hunting: Coyote, fox, or raccoon may be hunted without hunting hour
restrictions except:
1. During the bear and bow deer seasons when hunting hours listed in the tables on
pages 28-31 apply to bow hunting all species.
2. During the regular gun deer season outside of CWD zones from November 19 -
27, when normal hunting hours listed on pages 28-31 apply to hunting all
species. This restriction does not apply during the muzzle-loader, Zone T, or
CWD seasons.
Use of Lights: A light may be used at the point of kill while hunting
raccoon and fox. Lights may not be used to shine or search for these
animals.

Source is the same one glenn gave, page 25.

To add to the goofyness of this..........would IR light count?  LOL  and I'm asking a serious question.  I mean, there is no hour restriction as to when they can be hunted.....

VJ
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
To add to the goofyness of this..........would IR light count?  LOL  and I'm asking a serious question.  I mean, there is no hour restriction as to when they can be hunted.....

VJ

Hehe, I went through all of the regs I could find but couldn't find a definition of whether a light is a light if it's in the invisble spectrum. This kinda reminds me of the Clinton trial as to what the definition is of "intercourse" and the word "is".

I would bet though that IR would still be constitute a "light source" as it is a device which would allow you to see an object in darkness that you couldn't see unaided.

Who gets the soapbox next?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, trying to cover all the bases.  I have access to all my SWAT gear and my own NV ....... although if I didn't turn on the IR light........semantics, I know....but I'll take it.

VJ
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, trying to cover all the bases.  I have access to all my SWAT gear and my own NV ....... although if I didn't turn on the IR light........semantics, I know....but I'll take it.

VJ

After you finish telling the game warden that you were using NVG's but did not turn on the IR light, come back and tell us how much your fine for using a light is.

Seriusly tho chk out the hunting forum here and those guys will give you more info than you can use.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

VJ

After you finish telling the game warden that you were using NVG's but did not turn on the IR light, come back and tell us how much your fine for using a light is.

Seriusly tho chk out the hunting forum here and those guys will give you more info than you can use.

Isn't that like, "well yeah, that's a radar detector, but I didn't have it on....honest!"

LOL

Point taken.

VJ
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#14]
You'll notice the word "coyote" is absent. During the last legislative session, there was a bill that would allow coyotes to be hunted with a light. It originally wasn't allowed due to some politicians/DNR types thinking the average person can't tell a wolf from a yote. Seems to me that if you are serious enough to hunt yotes, then you'd know the difference.

The bill didn't pass then, and it was a big topic on predatormasters.

If the rules have changed since then, its news to me.

John
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#15]
If he really wants them gone, he needs to get a trapper in there.  Set a few dirt hole sets and come back the next day and you should have a few, depending on how many there are in his area
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the info, folks.

VJ
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Actually, I brought up IR lights when taking hunter safety last year. The regs are setup to outlaw 'shining' more than anything else, and that's the the warden told me that they were concerned about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top