Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2003 6:04:45 PM EDT
I'm hoping to find some private property within 100 miles of Hartford where I can do a little squirrel hunting with a .22 and an ATV. I wouldn't be doing much shooting. It's just a chance to get out in the woods on a sunny day and remember.

My health ain't so hot since I turned 65 and retired. Can't walk so far anymore, but not bad enough for a DNR "handicapped hunter" ATV exception.

Public ATV trails are a pain. You can't ever drive off the trail and technically you can't even park your ATV off the trail when you uncase and load your .22 to walk back into the woods. Most trails are in areas (national Forests), way up North, where you can't hunt.

Be happy to compensate an owner for their trouble. Perhaps a case of beer (your choice), or whatever, each ocassion. Probably not more than 3-4 times total all season, always during the week.

Anybody......?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If you ever end up in Burnett County with your ATV, you can pretty much go onto any county forestland that has a trail and not worry about it. It's not always going to be your rough and rugged  trails (Lots of flat woodlands with a few swamps and potholes here and there.), you have to trailer your ATV to your spot if not connected by the posted ATV/Snowmobile-type trails (Damage from other ATV'ers really is killing the sport) and one can't ride ont he side of the road, but using an ATV to go into some of these acres and hunt won't be an issue. The only problem is we just don't have a ton of squirrels, but if you ever get up north this way, don't hesitate to contact me and I can point you to some areas to work. Only thing is I'm much more than 100 from Hartford. Other solutions would be to find county forest land in an area like Jackson County and see if they also will allow ATV's. I remember you mentioning recently going to some trails near Black RF. You may be able to branch around in the area on areas that aren't established trails like that but county forestland for logging. Something to check into. Your area is tough for hunting and I empathize with you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tips. Appreciate the help. Never realized that ATVs were damaging areas. I'll have to be careful.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Got some info for you. I was told by a guy that just moved up here that Clark County is mostly County Forest Land from hunting land being taken back because no one pays the backtaxes. That would mean lots of ATV or hunting opportunities on public land. I'm not sure how far of a drive you want, but Clark is the county to the north of Black River Falls and is about an hour maximum east of eau Claire depending on how far you are from that. If you find the county's website, they have an online land information system where you can get info on what is public he told me. Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for info.  I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm in that area. We were ATVing in Black River Falls last week. Trails were a bumpy nightmare. Everything is all soft sand and it gets bumpy in a matter of hours after its groomed. Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top