Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2003 9:12:01 AM EDT
The title says it all, killing season on deer and tree rats opens today!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The title says it all, killing season on deer and tree rats opens today!!!!!!!!

I never heard of squirrels being called tree rats before--athough it is a perfect name for them.

I went out squirrel hunting for a little while on sunday without any luck, but not much since then.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#2]
My four days off just got chopped down to three which sucks cuz i have to work 2nd shift o friday. Had I been able to keep my regualr first shift I was going to head out to friends land in DeSoto and do some camping/tree rat hunting. So looks like I just have to hit something close to home.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I was able to nail 4 mourning doves on Sunday.
I haven't squirrel hunted in 10 years. Maybe it's time to start again.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was able to nail 4 mourning doves on Sunday.

Are there any special stamps/licenses that you need to hunt doves? or do you just need a small game license?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure but i think there is somethig you have to get besides haveing I think a small game license. I'm not a bird hunter so i don't keep up with the regs for them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#6]
you people hunt squirrells with bow?

it does sound like fun though

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh i guess the thread title does kinda imply that don't it.

No  i use a gun, but i did try to get a tree rat with a bow once, the season was open and we were shooting bows at a friends house, I had a small game license and thats how that happened. Missed by about ten feet though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#8]
photoman
 9/16/2003 5:25:46 PM
Photoman
Oh i guess the thread title does kinda imply that don't it.
No i use a gun, but i did try to get a tree rat with a bow once, the season was open and we were shooting bows at a friends house, I had a small game license and thats how that happened. Missed by about ten feet though.

it's a good thing deer are longer than 10 feet that way you miss them either
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:19:59 AM EDT
[#9]
don't bow hunt deer. if i did i wouldn't have a job right now cuz i'd still be in the woods.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:53:05 AM EDT
[#10]
To hunt doves, you need a small game license, you need to be HIP certified, and your boomstick must be plugged to hold no more than three shells (including the one in the chamber).

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#11]
What all do you need to do to get the HIP certification?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:03:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Got my first squirrel while squirrel hunting yesterday. (I have shot many before, but not while specifically hunting for them) About a 15 yard shot with a 10/22, through the back of the head.

Anybody have a favorite recipe for squirrel?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#13]
No special recipe I just throw them in a pot with other game meat for a stew.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Since 1998, anyone hunting migratory game birds [ducks, geese, woodcock, snipe, rails, gallinules (moorehens) and coots] in Wisconsin will be required to first obtain Harvest Information Program (HIP) registration. The requirement to be HIP registered is not unique to Wisconsin. To hunt migratory game birds in any state in 2003, you first have to be HIP registered in that state. You will be able to become HIP registered in Wisconsin when you apply for your 2003 hunting license.

Who must be HIP registered?
Everyone who hunts migratory game birds in Wisconsin must be HIP registered. This includes all resident and nonresident annual license holders, Senior Citizen Recreation Card holders, first year hunter safety graduates and armed service personnel home on leave.

Why must I be HIP registered?
Wildlife biologists and hunters know that wildlife populations fluctuate annually. Changes in habitat and weather play important roles in these fluctuations. Some say that hunting is causing the decline in hunted wildlife populations. We know that regulated hunting does not cause unintentional declines in a game species population, but we need to better assess and document the role of harvest on future populations. Inadequate information regarding species populations and the impact of hunting has been cited in legal challenges to hunting seasons in some states.

Past migratory bird harvest surveys were unable to provide the desired information. For example, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) annually conducted a voluntary survey of hunters who purchased federal duck stamps, but a low response rate resulted in inadequate information. Harvest information on other migratory game bird species such as woodcock and snipe is even less precise.

How do I become HIP registered?
As a migratory game bird hunter in Wisconsin you will have the opportunity to become HIP registered when you apply for your annual license. The process will be simple. When you apply for your license you will be asked, "Do you intend to hunt migratory game birds in Wisconsin this year?" If you answer "yes," you will be asked about the number of ducks and geese you harvested last year and whether or not you hunted coots, gallinules, rails, snipe, or woodcock last year. Once those questions are answered, you are HIP registered - A simple process. If you answer "no" when you are asked "Do you intend to hunt migratory game birds in Wisconsin this year?" you will not be HIP registered and it will be illegal for you to hunt any species of migratory game bird in Wisconsin this year. If you obtained your hunting license and indicated you did not want to be HIP registered and then later in the season decide you do want to hunt migratory game birds in Wisconsin, you can easily become registered by stopping at selected DNR offices where you will be able to make that change.

How much will HIP registration cost?
There is no charge to become HIP registered.

What happens after I am registered?
The USFWS will randomly select a sample of HIP registered duck hunters, woodcock hunters, snipe hunters, etc and ask them to participate in a harvest survey. Those selected will be asked to record daily hunting and harvest information in a small diary provided to them. Then they will return the diary to USFWS immediately following the season. In future years, DNR researchers may contact hunters on a random basis.  You may be asked your opinion about certain aspects of hunting season regulations. Duck hunters will be asked about duck regulations, woodcock hunters about woodcock seasons, etc. The information you provide will help USFWS and DNR better manage our great migratory game bird resources.

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Been out bowhunting four times. I haven't seen jack shit but my little brother got a seven pointer tuesday morning. Little shit always scores early!
I                                                                
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top