Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2003 12:48:47 PM EDT
I am in northern Illinois and as some of you know, not many places to shoot. I have been hearing tons of rumors about an outdoor public rifle range near Lake Geneva. Is this true? I refuse to shoot at Bristol. One round in the rifle? They might as well close down and go work for the Brady Campaign. Hey, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Theres a range in Delavan. But they now have the 1 rnd every 5 sec rule there now too (friend USED to shoot there). I used to shoot up at Eds in Whitewater for a few years, but he basically became an ass towards his 'members'. Now I go to a place near Janesville. Put your $3/gun in the mailbox and go to the pit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure what you mean by a pit in Janesville and the $3. Call me stupid but is this a public place to shoot? If so, what's the deal? Can you go whenever you want?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, shooting sports are not well "supported" in northern Illinois, what with the current political climate and suburban sprawl taking up more & more land.

That being said, let me introduce you to the Aurora Sportsmen's Club in Sugar Grove, just north of Route 47 on Bliss Road. It's a private club but you can shoot there anytime you choose (8 AM to sunset weekdays, 9 AM to sunset weekends, unless the range is reserved for a match event) once you become a member.

Membership applications are reviewed once a year from March to May. Shotgun sports, black powder, and archery are also well-supported.

No restrictions on "number of rounds loaded" other than absolutely NO full-auto permitted. 100 yards is the maximum at present, but we're building a new facility out near Waterman (Rts. 30 & 23, 20 minutes farther west) that will go to 600 yards & perhaps even up to 1000.

Every second Sunday of each month, the public is welcome to participate in our rifle & pistol matches as our guests.

The only rule is to bring a valid FOID card & sign the liability release inside the range shed when you arrive. Details can be found on the club website at <http://www.aurorasc.org> Monthly calendar of scheduled events is available there for downloading as a PDF document.

Come on over some Sunday morning & get acquainted with the folks who shoot there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am in northern Illinois and as some of you know, not many places to shoot. I have been hearing tons of rumors about an outdoor public rifle range near Lake Geneva. Is this true? I refuse to shoot at Bristol. One round in the rifle? They might as well close down and go work for the Brady Campaign. Hey, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

There are afew pubic ranges in the racine area. Not sure of exact local One is shultz's or something like that I'm not 100% I think it's on hwy11(durand ave.) From what i hear though they have restrictions on rounds loaded.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#5]
McMiller in Eagle is only about 15 minutes away!
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got back from the big party in Milwaukee!!! check out my thread over in GD. My uncle took me to mcmillers on sat. The first time either of us were there. It was OK. Three covered ranges, and an area to shoot skeet/trap. About $12.00 to shoot all day at any combination of ranges. Very strict RO's, but that's OK by me. Would have liked to have hooked up with some of you guys to shoot, maybe next year. I usually make the trek from Ohio to Lake Geneva once a year in the Summer....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top