Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 9:26:00 PM EDT
Hey all,

Heading up to maroon bells this Wednesday Thursday, was thinking of heading up after work on Tuesday. Is there any way of camping/hiking near ish to them, and avoiding the shuttle?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You can drive your own car before 0800hrs or after 1700hrs but there is a $10 fee to do this. Between these time you have to take a shuttle.

Once you are up you can leave anytime you want but can not go up again until after 1700hrs.  Overnight parking is very limited.

There are three USFS campgrounds in that valley that you may be able to reserve a spot in which will allow you to use the road.

If you haven't been, it is one of the most scenic spots in Colorado, but can be crowded because of this.

Here is a pic from our visit two weeks ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]
My pic is more colorful

This was last year at about this time. I just brought my bike up to avoid the shuttle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Where did you park at? I am okay with hiking in
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:07:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where did you park at? I am okay with hiking in
View Quote
There is a parking lot a couple hundred yards behind where waffles and I took our photos. There is a ton of hiking/backpacking/climbing that can be accessed from there.

ETA: The photos are of Maroon Lake which is the end of the road. All travel from that point on is by foot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top