Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2017 8:45:31 PM EDT
I'll be in the area on business and have an afternoon to kill.  Looking for ideas on local recreation.  
Made a call to Western Adventures to inquire on an ATV trail ride.  Hiking, scenic drives, etc?  Is an afternoon hunt or shoot even an option?  I'll be solo on this trip.  Need some ideas for good outdoor local fun!
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:06:28 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a public gun range in Basalt, if that tickles your fancy. Otherwise, sky's the limit. If you want mellow, walk around town, hit a good restaurant and then take the Gondola up Aspen mountain for some hiking. Another stunning hike involves going up to the Maroon Bells - the view is unreal, supposedly one of the most photographed vista in the US. You can rent an ATV in town and  hit some trails. Aspen dirt bike school is down valley by Basalt if you need a lesson. The fly fishing is great all over. Horse back riding at T-Lazy 7 is fun.

I like hiking Lost Man trail up 82 by Independence Pass. It's about an hour to a pretty high alpine lake with nice peaks all around.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Hiking. Jump on the Snowmass Lake trail, hike for as long as you can stand it, and then turn around and head back.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO the Maroon Bells are a must see.  No pic can really do them justice--a live view also shows Pyramid Peak just to the south, one big, badass mountain, plus the Sievers to the north.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Great ideas everyone, I read quite a bit on Maroon Bells, so will likely need to check that out I think.  About how long of a hike is it from a reasonably close trailhead?  Are hiking shoes like the merrell Moab sufficient?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Maroon lake is like 100 yards from the parking lot. If you are feeling frisky, at least hike to Crater lake which is 2 miles up the trail.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Merrells are more than sufficient for hiking here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top