Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2017 8:28:10 PM EDT
Hi guys. The wife and I are headed to beautiful state near the end of next month. My plan is to make a big loop around CO, in our camper. We've been several times, both as a destination, for a week, and passing through. I'd like to have some opinions on some "must see" places and/or cool places to camp.

Here is where we have been in the past:

-Colorado Springs/Manitou (Garden of the Gods/ Cog Railway/ Iron Springs Theater/ Cool retro arcade in Manitou)
-Rocky Mountain Scenic Byway (from Buena Vista to I-70) + Princeton Hot springs
-Pagosa Springs/ Wolf Creek Pass
-Royal Gorge
-Burritos Betty in Pueblo (damn fine breakfast burritos)
-Vail

Some places we'd like to visit:

-Rocky Mountain National Park
-Mesa Verde
-Telluride/Aspen/Silverton
-Doc Hollidays's grave
-Hanging Lake

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

PS: donde esta Casa Bonita?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#1]
South from Montrose to Ridgway.  Beautiful scenery, parts of the original True Grit were filmed in and around the area.  Go a bit west of Ridgway for a super view of Mt. Sneffels and the Sneffels range at the Dallas Divide.  You can continue to Telluride from there.  Also from Ridgway, go east up Owl Creek Pass road.  Just below the top you'll see a large meadow with Chimney Rock and Courthouse Mountain at the back.  The meadow is where the True Grit scene of Rooster Cogburn charging Ned Pepper and his gang was filmed.  Just over the top of the pass is the Forks of the Cimarron, and Silver Jack reservoir.  More eye popping scenery.

From Ridgway, go south about ten miles to Ouray.  It's the Switzerland of America, so they like to say.  I'll let others say all the things to see and do there.

On south from Ouray is the Million Dollar Highway and Red Mountain Pass.  Below that you'll hit Silverton.  Continue on and you'll reach Durango.

Hanging Lake is an example of how Colorado is being loved to death.  If you go there, follow all sign directions, and STAY OFF THE LOG and OUT OF THE LAKE.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hanging Lake is an example of how Colorado is being loved to death.  If you go there, follow all sign directions, and STAY OFF THE LOG and OUT OF THE LAKE.
View Quote
This....I'm done taking out of towners to Hanging lake.  Hard to find a parking spot, kids running all over the trail and knocking rocks off (I believe someone was injured or killed because of this a little while back) and graffiti on the trail.  Only a matter of time before somebody does something to the log.

Its a shame.....

The 550 route route from Montrose to Durango is great advice.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Here you go, read this thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_20/615548_Help-with-Colorado-Road-Trip.html

I recommend southern Colorado. Yes, Buena Vista to I-70 is pretty nice. After Leadville it's not quite as exciting anymore.

Must-see TV:
Black Canyon of the Gunnison
North Clear Creek Falls between Creede and Lake City
The Million Dollar Highway between Ouray and Durango
The drive from Ridgway to Telluride over the Dallas divide

The Aspen/Snowmass area is expensive and crowded but it's absolutely spectacular.  Independence pass is a little hairy to drive (goes down to 1 lane on the Aspen side a few times) but it's beautiful.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:13:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Forget Aspen unless you're arriving and leaving via Independence Pass from Leadville.  

The main Aspen access is through Glenwood Springs on l-70.  But Glenwood is replacing it's main bridge over the Colorado River. The construction detours and traffic is a total nightmare.  They're aiming to open the new bridge in about 90 days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top