Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 9:09:51 PM EDT
I understand that most of us on this board have a good head on their shoulders. I am not directing this to you, I hope.

Aspen trees in the fall create some amazing colors, the shit is down right magic. I can't blame anyone for wanting to travel into the mountains and experience it.

I only ask a few things.

1. Please understand what speed limits are for. If you are going to drive less that 10 MPH under the posted speed limit, pull over to the right hand side(see #2). By doing 20 MPH on a 45 MPH road, you are creating a hazard for not only yourself, but other drivers.

2. There is a white line boarding both sides of every paved major road in the United States. If you plan to stop your vehicle while driving, you need to be right of this line in the state of Colorado to be officially parked. Hell, in this area you can stay there for 48 hours(county law may differ)without a ticket. Just remember, DO NOT STOP IN THE ROAD. Those lines are your friend, and will help you avoid me rear ending you in a 25,000lbs tow truck.

3. Remember that you are the driver. No matter how cool something that your passenger sees is, keep driving. If you want to see it, see #2.

4. There is some amazing wildlife up here. Deer, elk, moose, coyotes, bears and the rare mountain lion. Lots of birds too. They are thick in my AO due to the four mile fire. A real treat for anyone really. Just remember this. They are all still wild animals. The deer generally will bolt as soon as you stop. Yotes and cats too.

The elk and moose are another breed though. These animals have little fear of people, which means they may tolerate you at a close distance. That does not mean they are calm and cool like house pets!!! These animals may pay you no mind, because they do not see you as an immediate threat. Understand that over the next month they are in the peak of their breeding season. They are not right in the head(remember being a teen?). They may let you get close and take some cute pics, but could see you as a threat and snap at any moment. I am a big guy(6'3 215) that wouldn't stand a chance against a 800lbs bull elk with a boner that saw me as a threat to his puntang. Hell I wouldn't think 13 rounds of .40 would phase an animal that...big and confused. Please respect these animals at a safe distance. And if you see one, DON'T FEED THE FUCKING BEARS!!! Bears that are feed by humans generally cause problems and need to be put down. They don't understand the difference between you handing them a sandwich and them retrieving a sandwich out of your car(imagine bear in your car, looking for your PBnJ). As a general rule I don't leave food in my car.

Respect WILDlife for what it is.

5. Your cell phone may not work. Please plan for the unexpected. It is generally 10-20 degrees colder up here during the day. Up to 30 at night. Bring warm clothing, water and the ability to start a fire. Walking shoes are a plus. You never know what will happen if you decide to do a bit of exploring. Plan for the worst and expect the best.

6. Understand that some of the locals will be less than welcoming. They feel they are being invaded. Please understand that this is a small percentage of the populace.

I personally love people up here. It supports our small economies and brings new faces to town. Most will be warm and happy to see you.

Enjoy the beauty that is Colorado. This is why we live here. If anyone has questions,planning on driving the Peak to Peak, or just wants to shoot/hang out/ect please feel free to IM me.

Rob

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

[snip]

Hell I wouldn't think 13 rounds of .40 would phase an animal that...big and confused.

[snip]

Are you saying I need to carry more ammo?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[snip]

Hell I wouldn't think 13 rounds of .40 would phase an animal that...big and confused.

[snip]

No...bigger gun.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

[snip]

[snip]

No...bigger gun.

I think I'll do both
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Leafer #1: Yo, Maddie! Check out those colors. Yellow like a taxi, orange like the ball at the Knicks game, and red like the sauce on my Mama Mia's gugaz!
Leafer #2: Yeah, and brown, like the guys I don't pick up in my cab!
Leafer #1: Beautiful!

_MaH
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Leafer #1: Yo, Maddie! Check out those colors. Yellow like a taxi, orange like the ball at the Knicks game, and red like the sauce on my Mama Mia's gugaz!

Leafer #2: Yeah, and brown, like the guys I don't pick up in my cab!

Leafer #1: Beautiful!

_MaH

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]
i like to stop partially on the road, partially on the shoulder, but with the car door open.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Berto sent you an IM
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Berto sent you an IM

Got it...hope to see you soon.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

i like to stop partially on the road, partially on the shoulder, but with the car door open.

what happens there is simply called 'clipping'. There is no change of speed or direction. You cross your fingers and hope they don't get your license plate ##.
If you had a BFL on your car, I might stop.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Mountain roads.. ah.. no.. never..
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#11]
That's why I like hitting the dirt roads.  Especially a little deeper in the woods/rougher road than the typical sedan/AWD is going to attempt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top