Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2010 6:15:05 AM EDT
My wife has a business trip to Denver in the future. She will be downtown and having to walk to her training location. I was wondering how safe downtown is. Any intel would be appreciated. I'm not posting any hotel or business locations for PERSEC. I can give more details in IM. Thanks in advance for any information.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:27:31 AM EDT
[#1]
During business hours, downtown is plenty safe.

When the sun sets there are bands of thugs that will wonder around 16th street (pedestrian mall) and sometimes stuff goes down.   DPD patrols 16th on Harleys and will often park in the median as a show of force.

Occasionally there will be mayhem in LoDo which is the older warehouse district by our ball field (Coors Field).  This is northeast of downtown proper.  LoDo is mostly clubs and bars and caters to the younger crowd (this is where Real World Denver was shot).  Larimer and Market, while considered LoDo are perfectly safe––lots of nice restaurants and people walking at all hours.  There are some decent bars on Market between 14th and 15th.  Decent restaurants around 15th and Larimer.

Capitol Hill is south of Colfax street and should be avoided at all times.  This is where the majority of drug deals go down.  The homeless will camp in Civic Center and seek their fix––this is between the Capitol building (gold dome) and the court house.

If she is in a group I wouldn't worry about going at after dark in downtown proper.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#2]
i work downtown and am happy to give my opinion from the hotel to the location of her business if you like.  

there are also bike patrols, too.  for the most part, downtown is pretty safe but there was a rash of black on white crime there for a few months.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been going downtown at all hours (day/night) since I was 14 (20 years ago).  However: I'm male;  I've never walked, or sk8ed, alone; and I've always had a care free (die or try) type of attitude.  While I feel there is a lot of hype, it is a concrete jungle with lots of "wild animals" not to be trusted.  A lot of my advice would depend on the distance between her hotel and the conference location.  Taxis are always available to call and a good option in the right circumstance.  She should already know: a lot less crime (heinous crime) happens during daylight hours; (if you go out) always have someone you can trust with you; and always be conscious of your surroundings.  Chances are great that she won't need any of my advice and/or she should already be in this type of understanding.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Wife works downtown...believe me the Denver PD has presence. During the day...anything at the covention ctr or large hotels is as safe as it can be in 2010. Summer time does load up the 16th Mall w/ "youngin's " out of school.  Baseball games keep LODO and Coors field watched. Have a good time. After our little gang robbin' incidents last summe/fall . The MAN is watching !
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont know how some of you doomsdayers get out of your houses on a daily basis.
Downtown Denver is fine especially in the summer time
with all the crap going on in and around downtown.

OP Your wife will be fine. Like anywhere else, situational awareness is key to a safe trip.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the advice. I've told her to just pay attention like in any other city.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I work downtown - during the day your wife is plenty safe (as stated above, LE is everywhere). If she go's out at night for dinner, sightseeing, cocktail, etc., just make sure she's not alone and in a populated area. The vagrants often sleep in the alley ways off 16th street mall...I've never had an issue, however, a female alone at night may be a different story?

Sakic #19
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Most people are scared of my wife. She's 5'11" and used to play field hockey in the UK where she was offered to play for a major league equivalent team. She should be fine as long as she pays attention.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:13:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Most people are scared of my wife. She's 5'11" and used to play field hockey in the UK where she was offered to play for a major league equivalent team. She should be fine as long as she pays attention.

You know the rules...

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:17:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll see if I can find a good picture. I'm deployed right now, so my options are limited.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I dont know how some of you doomsdayers get out of your houses on a daily basis.
Downtown Denver is fine especially in the summer time
with all the crap going on in and around downtown.

OP Your wife will be fine. Like anywhere else, situational awareness is key to a safe trip.

I get out and I've seen things.  I lived downtown for two years.  

GF (now wife) and I watched the coroner pull a body out of the alley across the street.  Watched numerous drug deals and once saw DPD dump a Harley in pursuit––he wasn't happy.  Been followed and threatened on several occasions.

It can be plenty safe, but it can also be unsafe...

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:02:21 AM EDT
[#12]
What's the easiest way to get downtown from the airport?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What's the easiest way to get downtown from the airport?

Taxi
I70 West ->I25 South
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#14]
there are also super shuttle vans that can take you to downtown that are cheaper, but you share them with other riders.  the taxi is probably fastest.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you carry downtown?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can you carry downtown?

Sure if you have a concealed carry permit that is recognized by the Colorado AG.  I wouldn't open carry unless you have bail money handy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you carry downtown?

Sure if you have a concealed carry permit that is recognized by the Colorado AG.  I wouldn't open carry unless you have bail money handy.

I just wasn't sure if a CO recognized CCW permit holder was able to carry downtown; with the other "assault weapon" things I'm curious. For example if the OP's wife had a CCW permit in her state that had reciprocity with CO.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My wife has a business trip to Denver in the future. She will be downtown and having to walk to her training location. I was wondering how safe downtown is. Any intel would be appreciated. I'm not posting any hotel or business locations for PERSEC. I can give more details in IM. Thanks in advance for any information.

did your wife make it, or is the trip still in the future?  if she came, did she enjoy Denver?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top