Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2003 12:29:10 PM EDT
....still no permit. At this point I can honestly say that I have lost 100% of any respect that I had for the Boulder County Sheriffs department. Backlog and limited resources are one thing, deliberately holding an approval to the last minute is another. I know that they are holding my permit because at 22 I am "the youngest applicant they have ever had", the application taker took the time to mention this and say I was "pretty young for a permit." Subtle? I might understand this if all permits were taking this long, but KeithC received his in 66 days (right?), and he applied during the "rush". I applied almost a month after. All this for $152.50, what a joke. Still inside the legal limit but I guess I would usually expect more from a law enforcement agency than minimum compliance with the law.

Sorry for the rant, I am just beginning to think that this is pretty freakin' ridiculous, and I bitch about these things in person and people begin to think I am some sort of gun nut.

I know all of you in Denver have to deal with this and more and you have my sympathies.

Edited to change number of days to 85.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife & I got ours in 7 weeks, but my friend, LeGrue, who applied a week later is still waiting in JeffCo.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
...KeithC received his in 66 days (right?), and he applied during the "rush".

Yup, right on the money. I applied the first day of the new law (6/19, I think) and got it somewhere around 66 days later. At least you can start screaming legal action in another 12 days. (Yeah, not exactly an upside but I had to try something.)

Good luck, bro.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...KeithC received his in 66 days (right?), and he applied during the "rush".

Yup, right on the money. I applied the first day of the new law (6/19, I think) and got it somewhere around 66 days later. At least you can start screaming legal action in another 12 days. (Yeah, not exactly an upside but I had to try something.)

Good luck, bro.

Legal action. I sure hope it does not come to that. I'm guessing it will be in the mailbox between 88 and 92 days, just enough so that they can make their "point".

Thanks for the try though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I am up to 85 days now. I know that they still have five days left by law, so they are still legal but at this point I have to start considering and planning for the 90+ scenario.

The only thing the law says, as far as I can see, read or understand, is that they need to issue or deny the permit in ninety days. There is nothing written about mandatory punishments should they fail to do so, or even an agency that I can call that oversees the sheriff. Is the only option available to me to seek "Judicial Review"? If so then I am f*d because I can not afford an attorney. Should I call the NRA? The RMGO? Write the sponsors of the bill so they are aware of the problem?

I just really have no idea of what I should do so the question is:

What should I do if 90 days rolls around?

Any ideas/thoughts are welcome.

PS. I know that they still have time to issue and be inside the law so I should not be worrying yet. I just would prefer to have a course of action roughly laid out in case it does turn over on 90. Also I just need to vent because it really pisses me off that I have spent my entire life following the law and being respectful of it and I am now facing the possibility of forcing a law enforcement agency to follow the law they supposedly enforce.

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried - politely - to contact Jody @ Boulder County to see if she's heard of any snafus? Make sure it hasn't been lost/stolen in the mail?

I really don't know who to talk to about it, though. Sorry. I suppose the bill sponsors couldn't hurt for P.R. but I think, for real response, you'd have to track down where it's *broken* down - BoCo, CBI, FBI, whatever.

Normally I'd say "Call the press" but they've never really been on our side much on this issue. Maybe Fox31 but still....
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have you tried - politely - to contact Jody @ Boulder County to see if she's heard of any snafus? Make sure it hasn't been lost/stolen in the mail?

Not until today. I thought I would try that since that is a good idea, so I called the BCSD. I was able to speak to a very nice Sargent who seemed almost disgusted when I told him how long it had been, he said "you should have it by now". He was eager to help and went to check the file. He said "well this is weird, you have had FBI and CBI approval for over a month". "All that is left is the local background check. Unfortunately Jodi just left for two weeks of vacation and she is the only one who can approve it."

So I guess that I just get to wait until September 22 for my permit. No big deal, that is only three more weeks and 105+ days total.

This is just so much fun. Well I need to go hit the bag for a while before my head explodes.

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, holy... At least you can still use happy emoticons under the circumstances.

Congrats on the approvals, if not the permit yet.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:23:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Oh, holy... At least you can still use happy emoticons under the circumstances.

Congrats on the approvals, if not the permit yet.

Oh, I am pissed. But there is nothing I can do about it at this point. The person with "authority" is gone, seems the Sheriff himself would have the authority but what do I know, so I guess I just have to wait it out.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that I saw it coming combined with the sheer arrogance of the BCSD. Both the nation (FBI) and the state (CBI) think I am fit to carry a concealed weapon, but little ole BCSD isn't sure. If I had any run-ins with the law I might understand but the only (negative anyway) involvement I have ever had with any law enforcement agency was a speeding ticket for four (yes 4) miles an hour over the speed limit when I was 16 years old. Not even a damn parking ticket. The absurdity of it blows my mind.

Sorry for the seemingly unending rants. I am sure that they get old to read, it just helps me to keep my sanity in this matter. For those of you with patience enough to respond, thanks.

Something funny BTW: At this point even my liberal Boulder friends think it is f*ed up that I have not received my permit yet. And these are the same ones that asked me "why would you need that?" when I first talked about getting it. Funny hearing a bleeding heart ask you if you have your permit yet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I guess in spite of what the Sargent said they found some way to get it accomplished without the main person and put a "rush" on it. I finally got my permit today at 89 freaking days. 89 days. Oh well, I have it now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Happy to hear you finally got it Rickyj!!!  I hope you are never glad that you have it.  Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats, Rickyj, and a big ditto on DefCon's sentiment.

Of course, now you'll spend the next 89 days buying holsters, trying to figure out the best mode of carry, asking your "s.o", "Does this Yaqui slide make me look fat?"....

Stay safe,
Keith C.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys. Truth is I don't even really want to carry. With school being my main thing right now and living so close I don't even have the "opportunity" to carry anyway. More than anything else I got it to make a political statement. You know, stick it to the man. Which judging by their reluctance to issue the permit I really did.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#13]
That's funny.  My brother applied for his on the 9th of June and I applied on the 13th in Weld County.  They finally called him Friday afternoon that it was ready and to come down for the photo and then he can pick up the id the next day.  Guess what day Tuesday is?  the 9th of Sept.  I expect they'll be calling me this week.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That's funny.  My brother applied for his on the 9th of June and I applied on the 13th in Weld County.  They finally called him Friday afternoon that it was ready and to come down for the photo and then he can pick up the id the next day.  Guess what day Tuesday is?  the 9th of Sept.  I expect they'll be calling me this week.

good luck. are you guys on the younger side as well?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope, I'm 38 and he's 36.  He got his permit today and asked them what the delay is.  The lady that does the permits told him that CBI is really behind on the fingerprint/background checks since the legislature didn't allocate more $ for more investigators and that there are only 2 of them.  I've got no reason to really doubt their story since the Weld sherrif has always been more than willing to issue resident permits, he just had a few more hoops to jump through.  Still waiting on mine...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top