Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/9/2003 6:09:52 PM EDT
Dear CCW Permit Holder,

I am writing you because I have previously issued you a Larimer County Sheriff's Concealed Weapon Permit. You are probably aware that Senate Bill 03-24 was signed into law by Governor Owens on March 18 and takes effect May 17, 2003. This law sets a statewide standard for the issuance of CCW permits. The Larimer Country Sheriff's Office developed a "model" policy and I am proud to say that the law closely mirrors our policy and criteria. I have worked hard for the past four years to make this a reality, and worked closely with many prganizations and legislators to keep the bill as "friendly" as we could. The new legislation will only have a minor impact on our current permit holders, but you need to be informed of what this impact will be, hence this letter.

First, your permit is still valid and will remain so until January, 2007 when my term as Sheriff expires. Unless we are able to do something about the imposed term limits, I will be compelled to leave office at that time and your permit will need to be renewed by the new Sheriff. In any event, if we do remove term limits and I am re-elected, your current permit would expore at the end of Hune, 2007. Thereafter, permits will be valid for 5 years. Since you were fingerprinted as a part of our process, you will not need to be re-fingerprinted or pay the $49.00 fee to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. There will however be a renewal fee paid to the Sheriff's Office, not to exceed $50.00. Renewal form can be obtained within 120 days of expiration.

The bill establishes training requirements for new permits. I was able to get current permit holders "grandfathered" from this requirement so no additional training should be required.

Effective May 17, 2003, you will no longer be required to notify a law enforcement officer if you are carrying a permit. However, I still think it is a good idea to do so in order to alert an officer that you aren't a threat in the event that an officer happens to see the bulge of a weapon. We will continue to list permit holders in a "person of interest" file in CCIC that is available only to law enforcement officers in order to ensure the integrity of our program. This allows me to be notified of any potential problems with a permit holder and act quickly to suspend a permit if warranted. Anytime you are carrying a concealed weapon, you need to have your permit and another photo identification on you and produce them on demand of an officer. Be advised, an officer "may temporarily disarm a permittee, incident to a lawful stop of the permittee" and return the handgun "prior to discharging the permittee from the scene."

As a reminder, you are required to notify us of any change of address within 30 days. You are also required to notify us within 3 business days if your permit is lost, stolen, or destroyed.

The new law establishes reciprocity, that is, Colorado will honor permits from other states that recognize our permits. This has yet to be determined, but I hope to have a link to this information on our we page once the agreements are established.

The only real impact on your permit will be some carry restrictions. Permits are valid in all areas of the state, except as specifically limited by statue, i.e. where firearms are prohibited by federal law, on K-12 public school grounds, in "secure" public buildings, or on private property where the owner, tenant, employer, or business entity prohibits weapons. "Secure public building" is defined as one that has "security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices" permanently placed at each entrance, where each person is screened and required to leave weapons with the security personnel while in the building.

I hope this addresses any questions you may have regarding the new law. Please feel free to contact me at xxx-xxxx or xxxxxxxx@xx.xxxxxx.xx.xx if you have any questions or concerns. Many of you will remember that the opposition cried that the streets would be running red with blood when I started issuing CCW permits. Thank you for justifying my faith in each of you and making our program such a success. You have proven that law-abiding citizens can be trusted to act responsibly. In large part, your example paved the way to finally make statewide uniform criteria a reality.

Sincerely,

Jim Alderden
Sheriff
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:09:55 AM EDT
Cool, we don't have to admit to law enforcement that we are carrying. I think it can increase the intensity of an encounter.

I am still worried that some departments will know we do have a CCW as soon as they run our plates.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:52:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/11/2003 6:52:52 AM EDT by cmjohnson]
Oh, no, your CCW permit itself contains a little microtransmitter (you can see it if you hold the card up to a bright light and look through it) that alerts cops to your presence via a matching receiver in their cars.

(Now watch everybody run for a bright light...I'm bad!)

CJ
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:13:01 PM EDT
I was rather happy to get this letter.

SS109, I have a feeling that won't be far off. I am glad we finally got what we did as far as statewide CCW. I just wish the sheriff up here would sign off on FA.

Maybe someday.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:17:58 AM EDT
I think its funny that all these Sheriff's are using the same line in these letters.

"The *insert county name here* Country Sheriff's Office developed a "model" policy and I am proud to say that the law closely mirrors our policy and criteria."

Every letter I've seen basically says the same thing. They are all taking credit for being the first to issue, or the friendliest to permit holders, or the most persuasive in legislative efforts etc.

You'd think these guys were running for office or something.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:25:18 AM EDT
I kinda disliked the limitation on validity based upon issuing officers term.. (mine expired when the sheriff was fired for some petty crap (disagreement in personal matters with the mayor)).. oh well, we're waiting for this new thing to take place and just go in and get our "new" permits
Top Top