Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:13:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Ugh.. WTF WA.

When I read the ballet description I thought that we are f'ked.  They make it sound like a good measure.. but as we know it's not.  All I know in my household we all voted no on it.  
F#$*&
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:21:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The language was absolute bullshit guy's but I believe it would have passed even if it basically said "This will infringe upon the right of law abiding washingtonian's to keep and bear arms" they don't care WHAT it says they don't like guns and they are going to vote for control and for your rights to be infringed just because they don't care for it. Fuck it probably would have passed if it said "we will begin confiscation of all firearms 11-7-18 after the initiative has passed" it may well have gotten more votes! We can hope to drag it out in the courts and dissect it some but the writing was on the wall awhile ago and its crystal clear now, second amendment rights in this state will be on a drastic path downward from this point on we are simply outnumbered by progressive's the state is lost.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:32:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I already have a 25/mo recurring payment to saf, I threw an extra hundo. Hope Gottlieb still has an ace in his sleeve for now. Even if it get thrown out wholesale without changes to the initiative process it will be back .
View Quote
I already mentioned potential issues with FOPA.

If forcing "classes" to exercise a right isn't an infringement, than what is?  Is anything an infringement, or is the term just too nebulous for the court to tackle?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:38:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you guys think that there will be a chance to appeal this stupid bill?  It does infringe on rights of legal adults.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:43:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:44:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I am no lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  If I am thinking what Gottlieb is thinking, use the R v W example of invasion of Privacy to have this thrown out of the system.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:46:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you guys think that there will be a chance to appeal this stupid bill?  It does infringe on rights of legal adults.
View Quote
If the state court were to be fair and consistent with past rulings this entire thing should be thrown out on the single subject rule alone, now whether that will actually happen is an absolute shot in the dark. After that there are so many other issue's for it to be attacked such as violating the state and US constitution, HIPAA regulation's and petition violation's and probably various other legality issue's I am overlooking.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:47:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:37:59 AM EDT
[#9]
You can bet, within a few years any range you shoot at will require you to prove you took a class in order to shoot at their range.

Just woke up to this shit

Ignorant asshole voters

ETA: even skagit Co fell for it
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm sure given virtually every county sheriff was against this and now with LEO getting shafted by 940, enforcing 1639 will be topmost on their priorities
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Safe storage clause question...

(a) The firearm was in secure gun storage, or secured with a
trigger lock or similar device that is designed to prevent the
unauthorized use or discharge of the firearm;
View Quote
Does this mean that one of those cheapo crappy cable l locks run through the magwell is sufficient to avoid prosecution? And if a bad guy steals your gun, cuts off the cheesy cable lock and does bad stuff, how would they ever prove that you didn't have a cable lock on the gun? I mean, if you had a damaged safe you've got your get out of jail free card, but if it's a trigger/cable lock, it's likely that they stole the gun, lock and all, and cut it off / disposed of it later. They aren't going to scour the earth looking for the remains of your cable lock so....? Impossible to prosecute or is this the Democrat plan of "prove your innocence while we bankrupt you in endless court BS"?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Does this mean that one of those cheapo crappy cable l locks run through the magwell is sufficient to avoid prosecution? And if a bad guy steals your gun, cuts off the cheesy cable lock and does bad stuff, how would they ever prove that you didn't have a cable lock on the gun? I mean, if you had a damaged safe you've got your get out of jail free card, but if it's a trigger/cable lock, it's likely that they stole the gun, lock and all, and cut it off / disposed of it later. They aren't going to scour the earth looking for the remains of your cable lock so....? Impossible to prosecute or is this the Democrat plan of "prove your innocence while we bankrupt you in endless court BS"?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(a) The firearm was in secure gun storage, or secured with a
trigger lock or similar device that is designed to prevent the
unauthorized use or discharge of the firearm;
This could just be my tinfoil talking, but I believe that the safe storage clause (and several other aspects of this abomination) are purposely left vague.  For example, what exactly constitutes "secure gun storage"?  Maybe I missed it in my readings, but I didn't see that clarified anywhere.  Does that include a cheapy Stack-On locker?  What about in the trunk of your locked car?  And, as noted, if a cable lock is cut how can you prove that it was there in the first place?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#13]
When does it take effect? Can we snag a ar-15 before it takes effect?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This could just be my tinfoil talking, but I believe that the safe storage clause (and several other aspects of this abomination) are purposely left vague.  For example, what exactly constitutes "secure gun storage"?  Maybe I missed it in my readings, but I didn't see that clarified anywhere.  Does that include a cheapy Stack-On locker?  What about in the trunk of your locked car?  And, as noted, if a cable lock is cut how can you prove that it was there in the first place?
View Quote
Is my home not "safe storage?" There are no trespassing signs, deadbolts on all of the doors, a security system, and no "unauthorized" persons are allowed in...
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well let’s say I buy two AR15’s here in WA. Are they going to require training every five years just to own them or do I have to train with every rifle I buy if I were to do it here in WA?
View Quote
requires training to purchase and an annual license to lose as for life.
If you buy another within 5 years, or never buy another, youdont need to retake the training.
If you buy again and its longer than 5 years, you need to retake the training g.
The annual license is forever.

Remember "semi-automatic assault weapons" are now defined in this state as "ANY semi-automatic rifle".  Regardless of magazine type,caliber or other features.
That Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22 are now "weapons of war".
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can’t believe WA is now almost worse than CA. Every negative gun law is going to pass and 940, un fricken believable. WA will be the only state to have a law like this. CA and NY aren’t even that stupid. I need to move to AZ.
View Quote
The passage of 1639 will embolden the Democrat Legislature.
They are going to go full retard this coming session.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's fine if I want a dozen AR-15's. Where do I buy factory stripped receivers of anything else?
View Quote
Ruger 10/22s, AKs, are available, there are bound to be HK copies.  The market will provide.

Otherwise, go to Idaho and purchase a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There are already plans for the lawsuit. I am only privy to the broad strokes, and the plan remains fluid. I expect to see them rolled out this week.
View Quote
Where do we donate?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Yesterday saddened me. Uncle Sam is moving us to WA next year. Guess it's time to buy while I'm still in TX.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
requires training to purchase and an annual license to lose as for life.
View Quote
So I need a class every 5 years

AND a yearly license? Like a CCW permit?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Don't forget that it also directs your CLEO to evaluate your medical and mental history annually for eligibility to possess firearms. Then it directs them to "take steps" to ensure ineligible people are not in possession.
View Quote
Well then, anyone seeing a counselor for anything better tell them "thanks for the help, Im fine now" and nix that shit.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#25]
So here are my questions

Does this cover pistols in any way?

Will people who hold c&r licenses still be allowed to buy c&r items direct?

If I never buy another assembled semi-auto in the state of washington after 7/1 will I be affected in any way?

I stocked up on lowers a few years ago so I know I’m good there. I’ll go buy a handful of 10/22’s in the next few months and a few dozen mags because I can see that ban coming as well next session. What else should I think about picking up in the next few months?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well then, anyone seeing a counselor for anything better tell them "thanks for the help, Im fine now" and nix that shit.
View Quote
How would they know if you are seeing a counselor?  If you didn’t tell them are they going to call every health care provider in a 100 mile radius for every gun owner?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How would they know if you are seeing a counselor?  If you didn’t tell them are they going to call every health care provider in a 100 mile radius for every gun owner?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they just look up your name in a database
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's ill defined at present. Purposely vague, and the text directs the DOL to establish an advisory panel. Hmmm let's see... who will sit on that panel? NRA? or the Alliance for Gun Responsibility?

Don't forget that it also directs your CLEO to evaluate your medical and mental history annually for eligibility to possess firearms. Then it directs them to "take steps" to ensure ineligible people are not in possession.
View Quote
No way that gets abused
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
All your medical interactions are in a central database, for the ease of insurance and doctors. Including your mental health visits.

HIPAA protects your medical privacy. But it only protects it from those not allowed to look. Now we've added the state to the list of those allowed to look at your medical records.

So just imagine TSA having access to your private medical records.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What database is kept showing whose received counseling.
View Quote
Dude, whatever medical visits you've had, especially if its through your PCP or billed to your insurance its in your medical records. Regular doctor visits or mental health visits its all in your records protected by HIPAA.

Now we've added the state to the list of those that have access to your HIPAA protected medical records.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Dude, whatever medical visits you've had, especially if its through your PCP or billed to your insurance its in your medical records. Regular doctor visits or mental health visits its all in your records protected by HIPAA.

Now we've added the state to the list of those that have access to your HIPAA protected medical records.
View Quote
And that my friend is unconstitutional.  That's what the basis of R v W.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're required to waive HIPAA RIGHTS.

Fairly easy to locate health provider with name and address and social security number.
Then pull records.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No way that gets abused
View Quote
By all state agencies...
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your medical insurance.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And that my friend is unconstitutional.  That's what the basis of R v W.
View Quote
Curious regarding your line of reasoning.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#38]
The big problem is that with the D's in charge at all levels of State government, even if I-1639 gets struck down in court, the Legislature will say that "the people wanted this" and push through whatever the hell they want.  Probably even worse than what is in the Initiative.

My district looks like is is losing/lost a good local R Legislator in Dick Muri.

Rob
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Curious regarding your line of reasoning.
View Quote
"The Court ruled 7–2 that a right to privacy under the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment extended to a woman's decision to have an abortion, but that this right must be balanced against the state's interests in regulating abortions: protecting women's health and protecting the potentiality of human life.[2] Arguing that these state interests became stronger over the course of a pregnancy, the Court resolved this balancing test by tying state regulation of abortion to the third trimester of pregnancy."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The big problem is that with the D's in charge at all levels of State government, even if I-1639 gets struck down in court, the Legislature will say that "the people wanted this" and push through whatever the hell they want.  Probably even worse than what is in the Initiative.

My district looks like is is losing/lost a good local R Legislator in Dick Muri.

Rob
View Quote
This^^^^^^^. I’m sure this is the tip of the iceberg.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#41]
so there have been multiple lists that cover various different aspects of this and I've seen a bunch of them but none seem to have the all inclusive list, just the highlighted "worst". Does anyone have a comprehensive 100% change list?

even an M1 Garand or a 10/22 is an "assault rifle". un fucking real. you can bet mag cap limits and the full works are coming this next year.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Other than rogue judges, how can this possibly survive a challenge on 4A Rights? There's no more personal/private documents than mental/physical medical data...and the grounds for "evaluating" them is nothing more than exercising your Constitutional Rights? WTF? Is there any other Right that is subject to review/revocation only because said person is exercising another Right? That is a load of shit.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
And that is the big story. It turns out, they could've saved Bloomberg's money. Now it will be easy to push legislation through.

Remember January? Ahh, the good old days when they put out 43 anti gun bills, and 41 of them died in committee. Cute little numbers with names like "magazine ban" and "AWB" and "End state preemption"

Next January will be ugly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mark Miloscia lost in my 30th district.  Can't believe it.  I can't believe this night.  I knew the national races would go lib...........but some of the state shit just surprises me.   Lock and load boys.
Yep.  The Dem's have full control now.
Senate: 28D to 21R (57%)
House:  57D to 41R  (58%)

Here come more gun laws, more taxes, more "progressive" spending.  Even though 1631 lost, they'll push it through at the legislature now.  State income tax? Yep, coming.  Pre-Emption?  Bye Bye!
And that is the big story. It turns out, they could've saved Bloomberg's money. Now it will be easy to push legislation through.

Remember January? Ahh, the good old days when they put out 43 anti gun bills, and 41 of them died in committee. Cute little numbers with names like "magazine ban" and "AWB" and "End state preemption"

Next January will be ugly.
You mean, in like 7-8 weeks.

You can bet there are those salivating at the what's in the pipeline...This could get very ugly, very fast and many who sat on the fence and wouldn't spend the 5 minutes to fill out their ballots are going to be 'But, but...what the???That isn't RIGHT! They ACTED like they just wanted us to be a little safer, with just some more common sense, for safer school and communities...'

The potential implosion is not good.

BOSS
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

"The Court ruled 7–2 that a right to privacy under the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment extended to a woman's decision to have an abortion, but that this right must be balanced against the state's interests in regulating abortions: protecting women's health and protecting the potentiality of human life.[2] Arguing that these state interests became stronger over the course of a pregnancy, the Court resolved this balancing test by tying state regulation of abortion to the third trimester of pregnancy."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade
View Quote
In this case, under 1639, you waive your right to privacy to purchase a semi auto rifle.

The state doesn't have access until you volunteer the info, by waiving your rights in order to exercise another right.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

In this case, under 1639, you waive your right to privacy to purchase a semi auto rifle.

The state doesn't have access until you volunteer the info, by waiving your rights in order to exercise another right.
View Quote
This is such BS.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
HIPPA prevents that's.

Good guess though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your medical insurance.
HIPPA prevents that's.

Good guess though.
1639 REQUIRES you to WAIVE HIPAA FOR LIFE.
Once you purchase a pistol or "semi-automatic assault weapon" you are in the system.  FOR LIFE.

Annual license to "Posess FIREARMS".

Not a guess, I read the thing.  
It's what we've been discussing for months.

Waiving Medical Confidentiality/HIPPA:

From Section 7 on Page 12: Waiver of Medical Record Confidentiality:

"A signed application to purchase a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle shall constitute a waiver of confidentiality
and written request that the health care authority, mental health institutions, and other health care facilities release, to an inquiring court or law enforcement agency, information relevant to the applicant's eligibility to purchase a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle to an inquiring court or law enforcement agency."

Establishing an Annual License to Possess:

From Section 15 on Page 23: bullet point A creates the requirement for an annual background check

NEW SECTION. Sec. 15. A new section is added to chapter 9.41
RCW to read as follows:

(1) Within twelve months of the effective date of this section,
the department of licensing shall, in conjunction with the
Washington state patrol and other state and local law enforcement
agencies as necessary, develop a cost-effective and efficient
process to:

(a) Verify, on an ANNUAL or MORE FREQUENT BASIS , that persons
who acquired pistols or semiautomatic assault rifles pursuant to
this chapter remain eligible to possess a firearm under state and
federal law; and

ANY State Agency has access to you Medical Records:

Also this - Sec. 8. RCW 9.41.097 and 2018 c 201 s 6005 are each amended to
read as follows:
(1) The health care authority, mental health institutions, and
other health care facilities shall, upon request of a court, ((or))
law enforcement agency, or the state, supply such relevant
information as is necessary to determine the eligibility of a person
to possess a ((pistol)) firearm or to be issued a concealed pistol
license under RCW 9.41.070 or to purchase a pistol or semiautomatic
assault rifle under RCW 9.41.090.
(2) Mental health information received by: (a) The department of
licensing pursuant to RCW 9.41.047 or 9.41.173; (b) an issuing
authority pursuant to RCW 9.41.047 or 9.41.070; (c) a chief of
police or sheriff pursuant to RCW 9.41.090 or 9.41.173; (d) a court
or law enforcement agency pursuant to subsection (1) of this
section; or (e) the state pursuant to RCW 9.41.090, shall not be
disclosed except as provided in RCW 42.56.240(4).
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#48]
https://results.vote.wa.gov/results/current/Turnout.html

Looks like 750k ballots still to be counted (as of last check, 5 minutes ago)... any chance this will flip into our favor? 450k vote split right now...
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Threw down $150 for a life membership to SAF today. It's the only thing I could think of doing that has a chance of being helpful.

https://www.saf.org/join-saf/
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top