Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2017 2:26:15 PM EDT
The roots of my neighbor tree are undermining my house and starting to cause damage. I've talked to the neighbor about it and he is blowing me off. So it looks like I'm going to have to take legal action. I need to get a professional opinion on how to deal with this
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You might contact Watson's Nursery in Puyallup or Portland Avenue Nursery in Tacoma for referrals.

WSU has their master gardener hotline for Pierce County, http://extension.wsu.edu/pierce/mg/.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 2:19:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd start here:

https://www.cityoftacoma.org/government/city_departments/environmentalservices/urban_forestry_-_evergreen_tacoma/tree_problems

Neighbor's Trees
Learn how to discuss tree issues directly with your neighbor. The Pierce County Center for Dispute Resolution can:
Provide advice and tips on how to best approach the neighbor
Sit down with you and your neighbor to help you discuss and resolve the issue
Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association may be able to assist with legal questions such as what your rights are as a neighbor in regard to trees.

Please note that trees on private property or neighboring rights-of-way that do not pose a significant threat to public safety, health or welfare are a private matter to be handled by the involved property owners. The City cannot get involved in private disputes. Please direct your questions elsewhere, such as to those listed above, for these situations.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Find the property line and use a ditch witch to dig a trench as deep as needed to sever the roots on your side. Problem solved as far as you're concerned, his dying tree is now his issue.

$200 a day for a 30" deep ditch witch with just a couple mins search for local equipment rentals. Might find a better deal or a deeper trencher if you  call around.

You'll wanna check for utilities and pipes beforehand.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Find the property line and use a ditch witch to dig a trench as deep as needed to sever the roots on your side. Problem solved as far as you're concerned, his dying tree is now his issue.

$200 a day for a 30" deep ditch witch with just a couple mins search for local equipment rentals. Might find a better deal or a deeper trencher if you  call around.

You'll wanna check for utilities and pipes beforehand.
View Quote
I thought about doing something like that but with this guy, I know if the tree ends up falling down, he'll turn it back on me. He has already cut roots that were growing under his place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top