Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2017 12:03:50 AM EDT
Dear Attorney General Ferguson,

I recently learned that the Attorney Generals of 23 other states are supporting H.R. 38, which would establish national concealed carry reciprocity.

People from other states can currently obtain concealed pistol licenses here in Washington state. Supporting this legislation would make that a reciprocal agreement so that residents of Washington would have their rights respected throughout the country, as drivers licenses already are.

This law would increase the safety of Washingtonians and if that is important to you, you should support this legislation.

Thank you,

Don Baldwin
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 2:46:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Waste of time writing to Fergy, he's as anti-gun as they come.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#2]
True. But if a lot of us wrote ti him, it might get his attention. Or his staff's.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
True. But if a lot of us wrote ti him, it might get his attention. Or his staff's.
View Quote
Yes, but will it be good attention or bad attention?
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Before supporting it you should read this:

https://www.facebook.com/RepThomasMassie/posts/1843059172384905
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 12:01:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Before supporting it you should read this:

https://www.facebook.com/RepThomasMassie/posts/1843059172384905
View Quote
I'm skeptical of that analysis.

If background checks include people with PTSD, that's awful. If they include creeps like the Texas shooter, who had fractured a child's skull and gotten a bad conduct discharge as a result, I'm OK with it.

At this point, the NRA and GOA favor national CCW. If they change their position, I will too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Kenn Blanchard also raises some good points about Massie regarding the National CCW legislation
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Writing my rep is a waste of time.  Here is the response from Adam Smith:

Dear David,

Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. I appreciate you taking the time to write me about this important issue, and I value the opportunity to respond.

I voted against H.R. 38, which unfortunately passed the House of Representatives on December 6, 2017 by a vote of 231-198. This bill allows for individuals who can legally carry a concealed firearm in the state in which they reside to carry a concealed firearm in any other state that permits concealed carry. I strongly opposed this legislation because it preempts state law by allowing individuals from states with weak concealed carry laws to possess a firearm in states that have much stronger concealed carry laws.

While some states require extensive background checks and training classes, others require no background check or training at all to carry a concealed firearm; only requiring individuals to have a state ID or a driver’s license. While the bill would make marginal improvements to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), these benefits do not outweigh the danger posed by the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. Additionally, the legislation falls far short of what is needed to roll back the use of “bump stocks,” by only requiring the Attorney General to submit a report to Congress on the use of these devices in the commission of a crime.

While the often complex patchwork of state laws can make the legal transport of firearms across state lines challenging, establishing a federal guideline that allows residents of a state with lenient laws to carry a concealed firearm in a far more restrictive state undermines the laws and policy decisions made in that state. Carrying a concealed firearm is a massive responsibility, and ensuring the safety of the public at large by requiring background checks and training should be an absolute minimum expectation. We should not impose a federal mandate that forces states to recognize the lowest common denominator. With gun violence on the rise in America, the act of Congress injecting more firearms into public spaces, while weakening both state and federal statutes, is irresponsible.

I support the Second Amendment. However, we must dismiss the notion that the rights granted by this Amendment are absolute in their authority. We can enact commonsense gun measures that meaningfully reduce firearm-related violence, injury, and death while continuing to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners. As a member of the House Gun Violence Prevention Task Force, I am committed to continuing to work with my colleagues to address this issue.

H.R. 38 has been sent to the Senate where it awaits further consideration. Please be assured I will keep your thoughts and comments in mind regarding concealed carry laws and gun violence prevention.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Adam Smith
Member of Congress
http://adamsmith.house.gov| YouTube | Twitter |E-Newsletter | RSS

If you'd like to receive occasional e-mail updates from my office, please visit my website to sign up - http://adamsmith.house.gov.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Writing my rep is a waste of time.  Here is the response from Adam Smith:

Dear David,

Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. I appreciate you taking the time to write me about this important issue, and I value the opportunity to respond.

I voted against H.R. 38, which unfortunately passed the House of Representatives on December 6, 2017 by a vote of 231-198. This bill allows for individuals who can legally carry a concealed firearm in the state in which they reside to carry a concealed firearm in any other state that permits concealed carry. I strongly opposed this legislation because it preempts state law by allowing individuals from states with weak concealed carry laws to possess a firearm in states that have much stronger concealed carry laws.

While some states require extensive background checks and training classes, others require no background check or training at all to carry a concealed firearm; only requiring individuals to have a state ID or a driver’s license. While the bill would make marginal improvements to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), these benefits do not outweigh the danger posed by the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. Additionally, the legislation falls far short of what is needed to roll back the use of “bump stocks,” by only requiring the Attorney General to submit a report to Congress on the use of these devices in the commission of a crime.

While the often complex patchwork of state laws can make the legal transport of firearms across state lines challenging, establishing a federal guideline that allows residents of a state with lenient laws to carry a concealed firearm in a far more restrictive state undermines the laws and policy decisions made in that state. Carrying a concealed firearm is a massive responsibility, and ensuring the safety of the public at large by requiring background checks and training should be an absolute minimum expectation. We should not impose a federal mandate that forces states to recognize the lowest common denominator. With gun violence on the rise in America, the act of Congress injecting more firearms into public spaces, while weakening both state and federal statutes, is irresponsible.

I support the Second Amendment. However, we must dismiss the notion that the rights granted by this Amendment are absolute in their authority. We can enact commonsense gun measures that meaningfully reduce firearm-related violence, injury, and death while continuing to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners. As a member of the House Gun Violence Prevention Task Force, I am committed to continuing to work with my colleagues to address this issue.

H.R. 38 has been sent to the Senate where it awaits further consideration. Please be assured I will keep your thoughts and comments in mind regarding concealed carry laws and gun violence prevention.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Adam Smith
Member of Congress
http://adamsmith.house.gov| YouTube | Twitter |E-Newsletter | RSS

If you'd like to receive occasional e-mail updates from my office, please visit my website to sign up - http://adamsmith.house.gov.
View Quote
What a piece of shit, and that is putting it kindly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top