Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2017 7:10:17 AM EDT
I'm now legally divorced from my wife and part of the settlement, I'm ordered to pay her a monthly alimony payment.

My question is relating to the extra monthly supplemental spouse payment, which is included with my monthly VA disability payments...  Since I'm ordered by the courts to pay my ex-wife a monthly alimony payment, does anybody know off the top of their head if "I" can legally keep the monthly supplemental spouse payment that I'm currently receiving or if it stops since she is no longer legally married to me?

I know that I need to reach out to one of the VA's service reps., like the VFW, the DAV or the AL, but I'm just bouncing this out to you guys to see if any of you have been in the same situation that I'm in right now.

Btw, I'm over 30%.

Thanks for looking!!
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure you got to let VA know your no longer married and lose the spousal extra...
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI

You have to let the VA know that you are no longer married.
Your disability pay will decrease to the "single" pay rate.

Your wife can not claim your disability pay as part of your marital assets, however, your disability pay can be used to compute any alimony or child support the court awarded her.

The difference between single and spouse only at 30% is $48 a month.

So you're going to get $48 less a month and the court can order you to pay that $48 a month from your pocket (or more depending on the lawyers).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top