Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2017 2:46:58 AM EDT
I-1491 passed almost a year ago and I have heard jack squat about it. I also have not seen an order issued under it in my county.

Did I miss a ruling or caselaw?

The only "quick" search engine links are to the text and Seattle media articles lauding it passing () Does anyone have an insight to its status?

@Dawgfish
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Feel good measure. Not actually used for anything
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Typically with things like protection orders, you only hear about them when they fail.  I would guess a few have been issued... somewhere in the state.  But the individuals receiving them aren't challenging them.

We'll hear about it when one is issued based on incomplete or false information, and the respondent challenges it.

Or you could ask each and every court in the state how many order's have been issued under the provision of 1491.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I know it was "Feel Good" legislation but I would have seen an order to surrender by now and I haven't. Maybe in the corridor but I have not heard of anywhere else.

@Phil_in_Seattle that news story is what got me thinking about I1491
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know it was "Feel Good" legislation but I would have seen an order to surrender by now and I haven't. Maybe in the corridor but I have not heard of anywhere else.

View Quote
Both it, and I-594, are little-used.  Lots of people think that's a good thing, but I take the contrarian view. They remain part of state law, ready to dust off and put into practice whenever .gov chooses.

They also serve to make people more comfortable with incremental gun control. "See, they added this law and it really doesn't have any effect. It will be OK if they add a restriction on magazines, they won't really enforce it, and all the old stuff is grandfathered"
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 4:47:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Both it, and I-594, are little-used.  Lots of people think that's a good thing, but I take the contrarian view. They remain part of state law, ready to dust off and put into practice whenever .gov chooses.

They also serve to make people more comfortable with incremental gun control. "See, they added this law and it really doesn't have any effect. It will be OK if they add a restriction on magazines, they won't really enforce it, and all the old stuff is grandfathered"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Little used? More like intentionally NOT used so it can't be challenged and they can decide at some point in the future start using it after the gun owners forget about it. And by then its been on the books forever and they can  use it everywhere without protestors showing up at the capitol building. But until 594 goes through proper legal challenges, I have a hard time considering it actual law.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Little used? More like intentionally NOT used so it can't be challenged and they can decide at some point in the future start using it after the gun owners forget about it. And by then its been on the books forever and they can  use it everywhere without protestors showing up at the capitol building. But until 594 goes through proper legal challenges, I have a hard time considering it actual law.
View Quote
SAF has challenged it twice, and been denied standing twice. Apparently the second amendment cannot be enforced until someone is arrested and charged. In the last case, the legislature amended slight changes to the law.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Just found an instance of an Extreme Risk PO being filed.

I was looking into this article: http://komonews.com/news/local/man-arrested-after-threats-to-kill-you-all-to-university-district-church-ar-15-seized

I then went to the Washington Courts website and entered the whack jobs name and found a record from 11/08 of this year.  Likely related to the arrest in the article.

So we can't say it's not being used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top