Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2017 5:56:08 PM EDT
I was going to say tax dodgers, but that would suggest not paying a tax you legitimately should be. In this case though I'm avoiding taxes by not buying items which have a high tax rate. 

But to the point I've realized that we couldnt have any functioning alcoholics in this state because alcohol is just too damned expensive! I dont want to come off as a drunk, but I tend to average a 6 pack a week. Its been a small irritation thats under my skin for a while that a 6 pack is $10. The idea I spend 40 bucks a month just to have a beer or two every so often just doesnt sit well with me. Being a tight ass tends to compound the problem.

So I broke down and picked up a home brewing kit. Or more specifically, I looked at the required components and bought the few items I was missing. Which really just came down to buying a fermenter and bottle cleaner / capper set up. 

Looking forward to giving this a go. If I use what seems to be a standard price of 35 bucks for an extract kit that would give me 2 cases of beer. Or a bit over 60 cents a beer. Thats a fair bit better than the 1.50+ I spend now. 

Anyone else doing home brewing?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]
1/2bbl at a time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been brewing for a few years now.

I like brewing beer, but I still drink commercial craft beer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I brewed for years.  Also made wine, but that was down in OR.  I haven't brewed in years though.  It's a fun process.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#5]
First batch is in the fermenter. Wont lie....Mistakes were made. It was really neat though so no regrets. I'm learning and the next batch should be better (If this one doesnt turn out)
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two brew kits that I haven't opened yet...

I have had a few nasty home brews that makes me think its not worth my time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Ah, I wouldnt let the bad ones turn you away. My brother brews and man he makes some good  beer. I think its a lot like reloading. If you take your time and pay attention you get a very good product. If you rush it and dont pay attention, you get a pile of shit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I grow my own berries which become wine.  There is all sorts of potential there.  Plus my neighbor has fruit trees and gives me surplus fruit which also becomes wine...more potential.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:01:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Sanitize, Sanitize, Sanitize. Also do not get impatient. Let your breast for a while. I have had ciders that tasted like crap at bottling but I let them sit for months and they mellowed out to something glorious.   
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I avoid by going on base class 6 or just drive over to Idaho.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
My first batch of apple cider turned into my first batch af apple wine!

It was good stuff, but dang it was strong.

I still have a gallon in the closet, i may have to dust it off and give it a try...
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#12]
November 4th is the AHA American Home Brewers Assoc. annual learn to brew day.    You can go on their website and look for an event near you.    This is a good way to meet local brewers and learn more about the hobby.   See it in action.    

If you are on the east side of the state (Spokane area), I will be hosting this event in Post Falls at HopStop Beer and Wine making shop.    

I am the president of our local home brew club (WORT) Warriors Of the Rotating Tap.    If you have any questions at all feel free to message me.

Kris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top