Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2017 8:57:21 PM EDT
The hits just keep coming.

Linkage

...Up to 2,000 volunteers will be asked to participate in the pilot. Miles can be tracked either by odometer readings, by installing a device in the car that tracks miles, or by downloading a smart phone app that also tracks miles...
View Quote
Any guesses where this subset will be recruited from?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Given the current frustrations over the tag cost increase I would hope that the current crop of libtards out in Seattle are a bit put off by the thought of another tax.....But I wont be holding my breath.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Given the current frustrations over the tag cost increase I would hope that the current crop of libtards out in Seattle are a bit put off by the thought of another tax.....But I wont be holding my breath.
View Quote
We got ST3, 405 toll lanes, income tax is being kicked about..., & now this.  In a sane state, I would expected tar heating & feather plucking parties to be forming by now.  But central region of Western WA hasn't ever seen a tax it doesn't like, & it will drag the rest of the state with it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:41:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I find their math highly suspect, and figure they are doing an intentional, misleadingly low "per mile" figure.  On the one hand, it would increase tax collection from the all-electric crowd (good thing, they use the roads too), but like I said, the math seems fucky.  Basically, they'll have to have a graduated tax that is higher for low efficiency vehicles (think trucks) and a lower rate for high efficiency vehicles.  They claim the sales tax is regressive, so there is no way they'll have one simple rate for every car.

Assuming a 15,000/year average, the "pay per mile" is $360.
Current gas tax is $0.494/gallon.  
@10 MPG = $741 in taxes now vs. $360.  Big savings, so without a graduated scale, it might push people back into less efficient vehicles.  Get a heavy 3/4T or 1T pickup, and you don't pay RTA either!  Double win!

Basically, the "break even" MPG figure is 20.7 MPG.  Anything under that, and you would save money (for now) with the flat $0.024/mile tax.  Anything over that, and you start paying more taxes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I find their math highly suspect, and figure they are doing an intentional, misleadingly low "per mile" figure.  On the one hand, it would increase tax collection from the all-electric crowd (good thing, they use the roads too), but like I said, the math seems fucky.  Basically, they'll have to have a graduated tax that is higher for low efficiency vehicles (think trucks) and a lower rate for high efficiency vehicles.  They claim the sales tax is regressive, so there is no way they'll have one simple rate for every car.

@10 MPG = $741 in taxes now vs. $360.  Big savings, so without a graduated scale, it might push people back into less efficient vehicles.  Get a heavy 3/4T or 1T pickup, and you don't pay RTA either!  Double win!

Basically, the "break even" MPG figure is 20.7 MPG.  Anything under that, and you would save money (for now) with the flat $0.024/mile tax.  Anything over that, and you start paying more taxes.
View Quote
Despite what is being claimed in the article, the math in your example will more likely end up being $741 PLUS $360 = $1101.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The biggest technical hurdle to this is collecting accurate mileage numbers... How many people are going to have their "speedometers calibrated" if this comes in to affect. You're damn sure not permanently tapping my OBD2. And most cars over 10 yrs old are mileage exempt anyway?

I don't see it going very far. But Seattle will push for it, since they have the urban dwellers that put 500 miles a year on cars and want some savings to push the burden on to you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Washington, the "I've never seen a tax I don't like state"
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We got ST3, 405 toll lanes, income tax is being kicked about, now this.  I would've expected tar warming parties by now.  Western central WA hasn't seen a tax it doesn't like, & it will drag the rest of the state with it.
View Quote
Where have you been? We just got a .4% income tax this legislative session to fund parental leave for new babies and some other shit.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/inslee-signs-plan-for-paid-family-leave/
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Despite what is being claimed in the article, the math in your example will more likely end up being $741 PLUS $360 = $1101.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's right.  The gas tax extracts a "fair share" from out of state drivers, & it isn't going anywhere.  WA residents get double-dipped by the state.  It's a win-win - for the state.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#9]
So are they or are they not going to repeal the existing gas tax?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
When was the last time you saw a tax repealed? Also, I get 16.5mpg and I'm for keeping it the way it is now. No new taxes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:32:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Fuck you, Jay Inslee.  Fuck you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When was the last time you saw a tax repealed? Also, I get 16.5mpg and I'm for keeping it the way it is now. No new taxes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They don't, my question is how do sell, I mean spin it, so voters will vote for it?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They don't, my question is how do sell, I mean spin it, so voters will vote for it?
View Quote
No need to sell anything to people in Seattle, they automatically like everything
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:00:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have it on very good authority from a friend at WSDOT that this exactly what they're ultimately shooting for. There have already been several meetings to plan out how to approach the legislature about implementing the mileage tax along with keeping the gas tax.
The concession they're prepared to offer is to roll back the recent 11.9 cent gas tax increase.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have it on very good authority from a friend at WSDOT that this exactly what they're ultimately shooting for. There have already been several meetings to plan out how to approach the legislature about implementing the mileage tax along with keeping the gas tax.
The concession they're prepared to offer is to roll back the recent 11.9 cent gas tax increase.
View Quote
Where exactly does your friend as WSDOT work? 
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus their going to completely kill this state.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't see how they could possibly enforce a mileage tax.  Any kind of device they try to install in my cars will very quickly become lost, broken, or will start incorrectly reporting miles driven
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't see how they could possibly enforce a mileage tax.  Any kind of device they try to install in my cars will very quickly become lost, broken, or will start incorrectly reporting miles driven
View Quote
Easy. Very much so. Write the law such that tampering with the device is a federal offense punishable by x fine and y time with the option to confiscate the vehicle the device was in. For bonus points throw in LEO option to compare odometer readings during stops to compare against reported readings when you register or some other crazy bullshit.

Hell, theres places already which will confiscate your vehicle if you are out poaching as its considered "used in the offense of a crime". 

I've no doubt is Wa wants its per mile tax it will safeguard it to make sure it gets it per mile tax. 
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Easy. Very much so. Write the law such that tampering with the device is a federal offense punishable by x fine and y time with the option to confiscate the vehicle the device was in. For bonus points throw in LEO option to compare odometer readings during stops to compare against reported readings when you register or some other crazy bullshit.

Hell, theres places already which will confiscate your vehicle if you are out poaching as its considered "used in the offense of a crime". 

I've no doubt is Wa wants its per mile tax it will safeguard it to make sure it gets it per mile tax. 
View Quote
"I didn't do it. Putin/Russians/4Chan/Pepe/Nazis/Racists must have hacked it!"
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Good luck tracking the mileage on my 95 Dodge, faggots.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where exactly does your friend as WSDOT work? 
View Quote
**Edit-
Removed department. He works in Olympia. He doesn't work for a division that is directly responsible for legislative proposals.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good luck tracking the mileage on my 95 Dodge, faggots.
View Quote
They have already floated a handful of options to cover that issue. if you don't have OBDII with a built in GPS receiver, you will have to report your mileage on a quarterly or annual basis. You also get the choice of prepaying for miles (probably at a discount, but with a steep penalty if you go over), or paying the difference each time your odometer is inspected.

They also are floating the idea of doing odometer reporting and payment via the shitty WSDOT smart phone app

This was anonymously leaked by a DOT employee to the Dori Monson show.

Or course, next will be state wide emissions inspections which will constitute an effort to force residents into purchasing newer vehicles with OBDII support to enable use of GPS enabled OBDII modules.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They have already floated a handful of options to cover that issue. if you don't have OBDII with a built in GPS receiver, you will have to report your mileage on a quarterly or annual basis. You also get the choice of prepaying for miles (probably at a discount, but with a steep penalty if you go over), or paying the difference each time your odometer is inspected.

They also are floating the idea of doing odometer reporting and payment via the shitty WSDOT smart phone app

Or course, next will be state wide emissions inspections which will constitute an effort to force residents into purchasing newer vehicles with OBDII support to enable use of GPS enabled OBDII modules.
View Quote
I could see this being the solution to those who will cry privacy concerns. Mandate an annual emissions test and use that as an opportunity to verify mileage reported vs. actual mileage.
This might even be the way that the state could roll out annual vehicle inspections. I know that has been floating around the turd bowl aka the State Legislature for years.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've already ripped out the stock PCM. I could easily wire in a relay and program my standalone to cut off the speedo signal above a certain speed, so I still gain mileage on the ODO but at a much reduced rate, my speed will still be displayed via the Android on the dash. There's a lot of workarounds to cheat it.

Supposedly all WA emissions testing sunsets in 2019, they already closed one of the stations here this year.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Promise big benefits to certain "select" voting blocks that have the numbers to drag the rest of the state into it.  IOWs, Seattle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
My OBDII is already being used.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well fortunately for the state of Washington OBDII is a CANbus interface that supports multiple devices on the diagnostic port.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:16:33 AM EDT
[#28]
If GPS is not used, and you only go off of odometer readings then you pay for miles driven out of state.

GPS is way too invasive for me.

If GPS is used, will we be getting speeding tickets along with our milage fee?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#29]
GPS also opens the door for variable pricing and automated tolling, where certain roads may cost more per mile
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If GPS is not used, and you only go off of odometer readings then you pay for miles driven out of state.

View Quote
Yes, agree, & yes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well fortunately for the state of Washington OBDII is a CANbus interface that supports multiple devices on the diagnostic port.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry still being used, fuck the state, the need to learn to live within their means like all the rest of us. Honestly mine is in use on my Raptor as it's hooked in with my on board setups for performance, and other "special" items of interest.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:16:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I am done, listing the condo and leaving.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#33]
We need to stop bumping this with new posts. Every time I see this damn thread thread at the top of the list I feel my blood pressure spike.  Fucking per mile tax, those thieves can eat a fat dick. I'll register out of state. Assholes. 
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I heard that they are working on a FART tax ( IT'S GAS RIGHT ).  The state will provide under ware that will count your FARTS and then you will have to send them in every week so they can tax you on how many FARTS you produced.  The bigger the FART the higher the tax. If skid marks are found they will double the tax on that pair of under ware.  The only people this will not affect is women because we all know WOMEN don't fart.  MC
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:19:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yes, agree, & yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, agree, & yes.
I wonder what some tinfoil would do, or some short circuit while we are doing electrical maintenance.  

Hell will freeze before those motherfuckers install anything in my car.  I refuse that Onstar crap for much less.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#36]
FU WA on that crap.  I pissed at the 405 thing.. But tax by mileage.  Also wouldn't it be illegal to tax you when you drive out of state and you pay the taxes for it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:50:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Also wouldn't it be illegal to tax you when you drive out of state and you pay the taxes for it.
View Quote
You'd think but unless you are willing to use GPS tracking to prove your location, you're fucked and assumed to be an asshole.

This state is speeding up in its quest to be like many other shit holes. The state doesn't exist to serve you. The elected officials and many of the state workers are not servants of the public but rather servants of their own self-interests and political aspirations.

They want you to move. That'll give them plenty of space for the illegals, liberals, and all the city dwellers who forget the state is more than Western Washington.

It's prom night.

WSDOT & The State Legislature already have the tip in and there's going to be some fucking even if we speak up. No doubt about it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Pretty simple, I will not comply.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Im beginning to hate coming to the Wa forum
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:12:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Join in on the hate.

Burying your head in the sand isn't going to make anything go away. At least in here, we can bitch with mostly liked minded individuals.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Join in on the hate.

Burying your head in the sand isn't going to make anything go away. At least in here, we can bitch with mostly liked minded individuals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Join in on the hate.

I'd sure love to hear anyone's justification for it?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Did some calculations and with gas tax alone I pay $300ish a year. At $.024 thats roughly $500 a year.

Are they looking to get rid of the existing has tax and replace it with this? How do they expect to get people to buy into installing GPS? I sure as fuck wont do that. The only thing left is to report milage every time you renew your tabs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Are they looking to get rid of the existing gas tax and replace it with this?
View Quote
I posted earlier that a buddy of mine who works at DOT says that they're looking to roll back the 11.9 cent graduated increase that was recently implemented. So, it would be the mileage in addition to the gas tax.

Whether it's modeled after Oregon where you might see a refund of gas taxes paid in excess remains to be seen. Personally, I doubt you'd see a refund. Our state is all about pointless road projects and social redistribution.

This could all be bullshit since I have no way of verifying it but it has a certain air of truth that you only get from the morons in Olympia.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Join in on the hate.

View Quote
I'd sure love to hear anyone's justification for it?
View Quote
"Safety" is the state's public justification.  The real motivator, of course, is additional revenue stream.

Our bitching is the usual venting session.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Did some calculations and with gas tax alone I pay $300ish a year. At $.024 thats roughly $500 a year.

Are they looking to get rid of the existing has tax and replace it with this? How do they expect to get people to buy into installing GPS? I sure as fuck wont do that. The only thing left is to report milage every time you renew your tabs.
View Quote
except I don't renew my plates..DV exempt..hmm..
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
FU WA on that crap.  I pissed at the 405 thing.. But tax by mileage.  Also wouldn't it be illegal to tax you when you drive out of state and you pay the taxes for it.
View Quote
They'll do like what they do for out of state buyers and sales tax. Give you a form to fill out to document how many miles you drove on that single trip out of state. And you'll need to fill it out for each individual trip out of state.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:22:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Well, I guess Central Texas, Georgia or North Florida is now looking better when I'm ready for my next move in 3/4 years... I really can't  handle all the stupid shit "our" elected officials keep coming up with.  I'm even ashamed to admit I was born and raised in Seattle...  Back when Seattle was still a "blue" collar town and semi sane before going full retard.

I have zero faith in any libtards ever applying common sense to anything, even at the most basic level.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top