Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2017 9:17:09 PM EDT
I'd like to get into rabbit hunting, preferably in the Leavenworth/Plain/Wenatchee area. Are there actually rabbits in the area? If you're willing to share the info, I'd love to hear about a spot or two where I should start. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:52:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Nearly 70 views, but no responses? Direct messages are appreciated, and I'm happy to keep a tight circle of folks who know just a bit and want keep a tight circle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#2]
If I were in your position (no responses), I would look toward public land that you can access.  Ideally, you want public land with cover for the rabbits as they are too easily taken by predators in open areas without the scrub for them to hide under.  Rabbits need cover called "bolts" as when they are threatened, they bolt to underneath this brush for protection from birds of prey, coyotes, etc.  Other places to look would be farmers fields where there is lots of stuff for the rabbits to eat.  They seem to like alfalfa more than just hay, but if you can find an alfalfa field next to an area with cover for bolts, that should be decent hunting.

Rabbits seem to get diseases that run in cycles over some years, and I have no idea where they are in those cycles.   Early this summer, I had a bunch of wild rabbits in my back yard, but it is a residential area, so no hunting there.  The does were having litter after litter, but about a month ago, I think a coyote found one of the nest sites, and cleaned out a litter that was nursing.  Hell, even coyotes have to feed their babies so I understand the cycles of nature.  After the litter got cleaned out, our rabbit population dwindled quickly.  I thing a coyote found easy eating, and cleaned out most of the rabbits..
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You might try the hunting Washington forum, I just don't know many people that do hunt them, but I'd be interested to know more.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I could give you tons of info about hunting them in S.E. Oregon around French Glen and Fields, but French Glen is another hours drive past Burns, OR, and Burns is 6 hours from Portland...so, from tacoma you would be looking at about 9-9.5 hours driving time.

If anyone is interested, I know where the hot springs to soak in are located, free camp sites, fishing spots, and rabbit hunting we used to do.  Plus there are places where you can actually shoot further than your rifle's range.  We used to shoot 308 tracers in winter when snow was on the ground and everything was wet.  We knew there was nothing out there for at least 5000 yards, and then it was a bare mountain.  We would shoot tracers and watch as they burned out....

But none of that helps folks wanting to shoot here,.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in the area and it's not a super productive area to hunt the bunnies. I would be hunting Wenatchee and East in the sage brush.
PM Sent
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Previous post is spot on.  Without the sagebrush, there is no cover, so the rabbits just won't be there..flat open land just won't sustain rabbits.  Animals need food, shelter, and water.  If any one of those three are missing, they simply won't survive, much less thrive.  The better the availability of those three, the more animals like it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Good info, all. After some research, I've come to roughly the same conclusion- there just aren't enough to make real hunting viable. I've seen a few, but not enough. But I've discovered grouse... I hope to have a positive update for you this weekend!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top