BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jesus how bad is ST3 prices? I knew it was going to go up but had no idea by how much. 
View Quote
My 2015 Silverado tabs increased by $456.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
OK, now I'm fucking livid.

Seattle Mayoral candidate Jenny Durkan thinks it's a bright idea to offer a free college education to every Seattle high school graduate.  Where's the money going to come from, you ask? Well according to KOMO:

If you're like me, you shouted at your car radio WHAT THE FUCK IS THE "Puget Sound Taxpayer Accountability Account"??

Turns out, it's this.. An appropriatable slush fund with money from ST3, to "provide educational outcomes" for poor kids.  The fucking *Sound Transit* bill, already legalized theft by an agency that shouldn't be allowed to tax, ostensibly for light rail, is paying into this shit.  Am I the only one that didn't know this?
View Quote
This pretty well nails why I am almost irrationally against taxation. Theres no guarantee whatsoever that the money collected will be spent as they say it will. This is the perfect example of that. They simply lie to taxpayers as to why they need more money, then once they have it they spend it however they see fit. 
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Revocable Living Trust in Lewis County...or Idaho. It's easy, just a matter of how much time you have on your hands to rent a mailing address and have the trust Docs notarized and spend some time at the DMV getting the paperwork sorted out. No clue how much I saved but it'll be quite a bit going fwd if I keep my current vehicles.

If you're making payments this may not work out, however "moving to some far flung county" and renting a mail box at a Mail Box Etc type place where they'll throw away the junk mail might pan out for you. It's not fraud if that's your current mailing address
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Revocable Living Trust in Lewis County...or Idaho. It's easy, just a matter of how much time you have on your hands to rent a mailing address and have the trust Docs notarized and spend some time at the DMV getting the paperwork sorted out. No clue how much I saved but it'll be quite a bit going fwd if I keep my current vehicles.

If you're making payments this may not work out, however "moving to some far flung county" and renting a mail box at a Mail Box Etc type place where they'll throw away the junk mail might pan out for you. It's not fraud if that's your current mailing address
View Quote
While I dont need to do this as I dont live in Seattle can you clarify a bit. So you create a trust with a home location in a favorable state and do what with the vehicles? Do you transfer the vehicles to the trust, or otherwise put the vehicles in the name of he trust such that the trust (which is effectively you) own s the vehicles which you then license in the new state?
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
While I dont need to do this as I dont live in Seattle can you clarify a bit. So you create a trust with a home location in a favorable state and do what with the vehicles? Do you transfer the vehicles to the trust, or otherwise put the vehicles in the name of he trust such that the trust (which is effectively you) own s the vehicles which you then license in the new state?
View Quote
Anyone can create a Revocable Living Trust and place their assets in it. To do so in another state, it normally requires someone in the Trust - Trustee/Benficiary/Grantor - live in that state at the time of the Trusts creation.  If you want to create a Trust for someone you've met on the internet, or a distant relative, you can name them as the Beneficiary. With a revocable Living Trust, you have the option to name a different beneficiary (anyone other then yourself) in the event you have a falling out with the original beneficiary.

You'll need a mailing address in that state - Idaho's DMV clerk said it was possible to use my mailing address in WA however it would complicate the title and she'd need further clarification from a supervisor. I opted to just get a local mailing address for the title to be sent to rather then waste a lot more time dealing with the mailing address and just had the mail forwarded.  

The vehicle I placed in the Trust was purchased in WA and then given to the Trust prior to changing the registration and title.  

If the vehicle was registered to me as an individual there could potentially be a issue, since I have a WA DL currently and reside/work in WA.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Jesus how bad is ST3 prices? I knew it was going to go up but had no idea by how much. 
View Quote
2017 Yukon Denali - RTA for ST3 alone was $759.  Add in all the other fees, it was about $1000.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

2017 Yukon Denali - RTA for ST3 alone was $759.  Add in all the other fees, it was about $1000.
View Quote
Not to defend it, but with an msrp of 65k, that's not too terrible. Only around 1.5%
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry, double post.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not to defend it, but with an msrp of 65k, that's not too terrible. Only around 1.5%
View Quote
It is absolutely terrible when I live in a county that voted ST3 down and we are still stuck paying it, especially when there's no chance in hell that I will ever ride that stupid train. That's $759.00 that I basically donated this year (with many more years f this to look forward to) so that Seattle and King County in general can have their subsidized public transit system that is far too little, too late.  If I am going to be forced to donate money to something, I should at least have the right to choose what I am donating to.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#10]
So with the state supreme court recently having ruled that ST intentionally deceived the public, what are the consequences ? None?
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So with the state supreme court recently having ruled that ST intentionally deceived the public, what are the consequences ? None?
View Quote
Senate committee, not the supreme court. Nothing will happen.

The committee ruling is already being played off in the media as conservatives just trying to hurt the environment
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#12]
you buy a expensive car but don't feel you need to pay for it.

don't live outside your means.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, thats precisely whats going on here. You are so perceptive!
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Shitty attempt at sarcasm.

On the outside chance you werent being sarcastic,  how is one living "outside their means" when the effective "fees & tax rate" changes annually and triples over last year's rates? In short it's a tax on the "rich" who have nice things

I personally don't have any really nice expensive cars. Mine are paid for,  however I own enough vehicles that the st3 increase was noticeable enough for me to vote with my feet and my wallet on how I felt about the increases
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 1:28:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They don't care.  For them, the purpose of taxes is taking things from specific people just for the sake of taking it.

Some honestly don't believe in math, most fervently believe the .gov can print whatever money they want without ill effect, and the rest just don't care.
View Quote
I think it is more than that, if you say anything negative about ST3 around most Seattleites and even 20 somethings here in Everett the response is that you do not want transit. It is the same reaction you get if you suggest that Michael Brown was not an angel or that HRC was a horrible candidate. There is a trend among young people to not question, to look at gov as a parental unit. This is the result of Public School programming, the destruction of standards and that add denial that most people around here choose.

No one questions the lack of transit or even the quality of what exists. I would love to take a train from Everett to Seattle every night for School instead of driving. But it is not reliable. For what we have already paid, we should have a system as efficient as Japan.

We love WA state, but this is like an abusive relationship, we have listed our condo and packing to leave. I hate to do it, but I am not going to be forced into this.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

don't live outside your means
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#18]
500 hundred dollars that should have been 35............................right down the shitter.  DO NOT OWN A LIGHT DUTY TRUCK IN THIS STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're double dipping on this one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Without a doubt, the stupidest post I've ever seen on this board ever.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
500 hundred dollars that should have been 35............................right down the shitter.  DO NOT OWN A LIGHT DUTY TRUCK IN THIS STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're double dipping on this one.
View Quote
Yep!  And somehow I've missed that they are charging me a Gross Weight of 8,000 lbs on my 1/4T Tacoma (max legal GVWR is 5,450).  Weight fees are in 2,000 lb increments, so it should be 6,000 lbs, not 8,000.  I'm looking to get a new truck, and it will be a 3/4T or higher just to avoid the RTA bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a one ton van and there is still and RTA tax of $20 on it. Err, sorry, that's a 'fee' not a tax...

I'll have to look again to see how it compares to my F150 but IIRC they are pretty close now.  The F150 gets the RTA and the van has the weight fee.

One way or another, they will take our money.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a one ton van and there is still and RTA tax of $20 on it. Err, sorry, that's a 'fee' not a tax...

I'll have to look again to see how it compares to my F150 but IIRC they are pretty close now.  The F150 gets the RTA and the van has the weight fee.

One way or another, they will take our money.
View Quote
F150 gets the RTA AND the weight fee, just like my Tacoma.  Yep, double dipped!

On the 1T Van, it would still need an empty scale weight of 6,001 lbs or more to be exempt from RTA tax.  And I don't think that includes the weight of any upfits, just the base curb weight as reported for the factory configuration.  Looking at the Chevrolet Express 3500 Cargo, the highest curb weight is 5,679lbs on the long wheel version, so it doesn't meet the weight minimum to avoid RTA tax.  A 3500 Express Passenger van with the diesel option is probably over the 6,001 threshold, so it would be exempt from RTA tax.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#23]
My tabs are $500.00 2017 Tacoma.

I'm leasing it.

A lot of $ for a vehicle that I'm basically renting.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I just renewed this morning for our 2010 (almost 8 years old) POS Honda Accord commuter car.  $181.75, with $118.00 of that being the RTA tax.  My tabs on this old car would've been $63.75 without the RTA tax.  I live in Pierce County, where we voted this down.  Thanks King and Snohomish counties.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Now the unaccountable shitbags that make up the WaDot...want to stick a toll on Hwy 2 from 20/204 to I-5.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#26]
$502.00 on my 2016 F150.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 2:15:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Now the unaccountable shitbags that make up the WaDot...want to stick a toll on Hwy 2 from 20/204 to I-5.
View Quote
If you like your trestle, you can keep your trestle.

That would buttfuck traffic even more than it already is over there
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Just paid $647 for a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee... AND!!  They had the phucking balls to ask for a $5 donation to the State Parks...  Phuck them and every single dumbass that voted for this tax!!  They can take out the $5 from the ST3 funds since it's not going to happen anyway.

...For all those idiots that voted for this tax, I truly hope that this empties your wallets and sinks your budgets...  Not very Christian, but I'm pissed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 12:25:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I heard about that proposed toll, isn't it some obscene amount like $10.00?
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#30]
So much of this comes about from a mindset that densification of our cities is the right path. There is still a large amount of land available in Washington state, where the costs of building infrastructure isn't astronomically expensive. A couple decades ago, then King County Traffic Engineer John Logan told me he believed huge mistakes were being made by over investment in transit, and inadequate investment in capacity. He got it, but the politics of transportation investment were swayed by transportation planners who thought Pugetopolis should be like Europe. We don't live in Europe, this is still the western U.S., and there's room to grow less expensively outside the dense urban core.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is because everyone would start driving east/west through the Cathcart Way area and Marsh Road through Snohomish and 4th Street and 116th through the Marysville area.

Highway 2 Trestle itself isn't terrible.
What is awful is the approach to highway 2 westbound from the Lake Stevens end.

204 and 10th street merge into one lane, then Sunnyside and 204 merge into one lane, then 204 the 20th merge into one lane that enter onto the trestle.
What kind of idiot traffic "engineer" would force four lanes to merge in such a short distance?

There is simply too much traffic in North Snohomish County to funnel all of it through Hwy 2 any more.

If Wadot traffic engineers were even reasonably intelligent...
They would run Hwy 92 from Granite Falls straight west to I5 to link up with the already-existing highway overpass just north of the marina/boatyard and turn that into a clover-leaf.

Then continue Boeing Freeway due west just south of Snohomish to hook up with hwy 9 and continue running west hwy 2.

Of course they won't do that because it makes too much sense.
They'll keep cramming traffic through the trestle that was already overwhelmed over ten years ago.

Wadot idiots...
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#32]
WsDot isn't all stupid, just hamstrung by the stupids with the purse.

This exchange by my house is a mess right now but won't get full funding till 2025!

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR522/Widen/ParadiseLkIC/
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
WsDot isn't all stupid, just hamstrung by the stupids with the purse.

This exchange by my house is a mess right now but won't get full funding till 2025!

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR522/Widen/ParadiseLkIC/
View Quote
It's almost comical how they spent so much time and money fixing the bridge, just to move the bottleneck a couple miles down the road.  Government, man.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 1:35:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That is because everyone would start driving east/west through the Cathcart Way area and Marsh Road through Snohomish and 4th Street and 116th through the Marysville area.

Highway 2 Trestle itself isn't terrible.
What is awful is the approach to highway 2 westbound from the Lake Stevens end.

204 and 10th street merge into one lane, then Sunnyside and 204 merge into one lane, then 204 the 20th merge into one lane that enter onto the trestle.
What kind of idiot traffic "engineer" would force four lanes to merge in such a short distance?

There is simply too much traffic in North Snohomish County to funnel all of it through Hwy 2 any more.

If Wadot traffic engineers were even reasonably intelligent...
They would run Hwy 92 from Granite Falls straight west to I5 to link up with the already-existing highway overpass just north of the marina/boatyard and turn that into a clover-leaf.

Then continue Boeing Freeway due west just south of Snohomish to hook up with hwy 9 and continue running west hwy 2.

Of course they won't do that because it makes too much sense.
They'll keep cramming traffic through the trestle that was already overwhelmed over ten years ago.

Wadot idiots...
View Quote
The off limit wetlands between Marysville & the Everett water treatment oxidation ponds makes SR-2 the lone road connecting I-5 to all points east of Everett.  There's no other solution but to widen it, & it's still just a temp fix in the long term.  All the outlying towns - Duvall, Monroe, Granite Falls - & everything westward are growing.  SR-2 & SR-9 are going to have to expand.

BTW, I used Sound Transit to get in & out of Seattle when I was doing clinical rotations back in '08, & if I had to work in that shit hole now, that'd still be my mode.  Driving isn't an option.  Light rail OTOH, is stupid joke when buses can do the job for far less $, but it's how political careers get advanced.

Edited because "shit hole" should be spelled right, just like "Shitattle".
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I heard about that proposed toll, isn't it some obscene amount like $10.00?
View Quote
When I was still working for DES/WaTech, the transportation-budget folks were *ecstatic* about an idea to charge a $10 toll for commuter vehicles (anything not a semi) on all lanes of 161/167 in the future, in the name of making it a 'semi trucks only' road...

In the name of discouraging residential development in the valley...
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
The same kind who designed I-5 going through downtown Seattle & put that stupid convention center over it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So much of this comes about from a mindset that densification of our cities is the right path. There is still a large amount of land available in Washington state, where the costs of building infrastructure isn't astronomically expensive. A couple decades ago, then King County Traffic Engineer John Logan told me he believed huge mistakes were being made by over investment in transit, and inadequate investment in capacity. He got it, but the politics of transportation investment were swayed by transportation planners who thought Pugetopolis should be like Europe. We don't live in Europe, this is still the western U.S., and there's room to grow less expensively outside the dense urban core.
View Quote
This.

But the Sierra Club owns Olympia & Seattle, so... Full speed ahead to 1890s tenement living for everyone....
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got my renewal for this year.. same fucking price as last year.  Apparently cars don't depreciate in ST's dream world, either.

18 more months of this shit... 18 more months.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The same kind who designed I-5 going through downtown Seattle & put that stupid convention center over it.
View Quote
Have you noticed that the convention center is almost never mentioned when anyone discusses the reasons for the daily traffic jams approaching downtown from either direction? It's a very obvious bottleneck for I-5 through Seattle and yet, crickets.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Have you noticed that the convention center is almost never mentioned when anyone discusses the reasons for the daily traffic jams approaching downtown from either direction? It's a very obvious bottleneck for I-5 through Seattle and yet, crickets.
View Quote
Northbound backs up from Northgate south across the bridge into downtown. See it everyday when I get off work.  South bound chokes up at the convention center and half ass opens up by I-90 depending on the time of day.

People are stupid, if its raining - slow way down. If there's a curve - slow way down. If there's walls/an overpass/the convention center - slow way down. Not to a speed that's in line with conditions, but another 15 mph under that 'cause some dude in a new Lexus SUV with paper plates is weaving between cars and slamming on his brakes when he's about to run into someone. That was last Friday, I was hoping he'd run into the back of a semi or something.

Doesn't happen at 5am when I roll northbound, but it's evident in the afternoon when there's 10x the traffic and 10x the number of morons out.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top