Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2017 11:46:46 AM EDT
I posted this awhile back, I sent WGS an email.  They are interested at this time.  No details have been worked out or finalized, also WGS has requested a couple of months to be open before they will consider.

Those that expressed interest:
liquidsniperR6
DT-USA
189catm
moximouse

Anyone else?

Golly Gee Wiz...I was thinking about starting a FNRL South, but now that the CURSE OF THE W perhaps not.

Kidding aside:
If anyone is interested in an FNRL South, perhaps WGS, would be a good place to do this. I can make this one much easier than going to Bellevue once a week.

Needs:
Ask to WGS if this can be done.

2 people that can be there every Friday Night to be RSO, COF planers.

Props (barricades, walls, storage {on sight}).

Weapons Rack

2 Blue tool boxes (contents of each: copy of rules, copy of sign in sheet, 1 clip board, 2 roles of white tape, 6 roles of brown tape, 4 staplers, 2 boxes of staples, shot timer, extra batteries, one quick clot, one Israeli Bandage, and a purple gel pen)

An agreeable, firearms friendly place for dinner, that is nearby. Hypo-Nachosic syndrome must be kept to a minimum.

One subscription to Hot Sauce of the Month Club.

I am fairly certain that FNRL would share a copy of their rules, sign in sheets, etc.

Who is interested?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Since WGS (Welcher's...I assume) is building a new indoor facility, is the FNRL you are proposing going to be PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbine)?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never done that type of shooting meet, but might be game.  I'm a local (Dupont).  I don't think I could commit to being an RSO though.

What does the course of fire look like?

Rob
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Still interested.  I'll begin reading now and researching for courses...
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Also, there is a hole in the wall restaurant nearby called, "El Pugarcito", I could talk to them.  Knowing the folks there, I'd imagine they'd love the business, and the food is amazing.  Good spot for hot sauce trials.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since WGS (Welcher's...I assume) is building a new indoor facility, is the FNRL you are proposing going to be PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbine)?
View Quote
I am not sure what the back stop is rated for, nor am I sure what WGS will allow at this time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What does the course of fire look like?

Rob
View Quote
The COF will change every week.  Usually 20 rounds rifle, 4 to 6 round handgun per run.  Number of runs depends on number of shooters.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also, there is a hole in the wall restaurant nearby called, "El Pugarcito", I could talk to them.  Knowing the folks there, I'd imagine they'd love the business, and the food is amazing.  Good spot for hot sauce trials.
View Quote
Good to know.  Hypo-nachos will be kept to a minimum, it is a horrible debilitating disease.  NOTE THAT IS SARCASM!!!  For those that do not know me my humor takes a bit to get used to, 30 to 48 months is the normal time frame.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Still interested!
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am not sure what the back stop is rated for, nor am I sure what WGS will allow at this time.
View Quote
Guess that would be the final push I need to pick up a scorpion. I'm still interested, and with the wait they're proposing, I should mostly be done with summer exercises/TDYs. Looking forward to this happening.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Interested.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Interested.

But I am little annoyed by the OP.  Can we clarify what WGS is?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:40:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Good to know.  Hypo-nachos will be kept to a minimum, it is a horrible debilitating disease.  NOTE THAT IS SARCASM!!!  For those that do not know me my humor takes a bit to get used to, 30 to 48 months is the normal time frame.
View Quote
Spent 5+ in the sandbox, I get it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interested.

But I am little annoyed by the OP.  Can we clarify what WGS is?
View Quote
WGS is Welcher's Gun Shop.  They are in the process of opening a new range in Lakewood just off the freeway.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Spent 5+ in the sandbox, I get it.
View Quote
Took me a few years to graduate kindergarten too, I do have a minor in blocks and mud.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Reading through their Facebook page the, the bays appear to be rated for up to 308 caliber.  So I guess PCC would be ok but rifle works fine too, unless I am allowed to bring the company FA MP5

Also, please keep the dark scenarios, my wizard eyes need some loving too
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:14:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I've never done any of these shoots, I think it'd be a blast.  I'd be the wiseass with the 30 Carbine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Crap, that's less than five miles from the hacienda... I'm down!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Reading through their Facebook page the, the bays appear to be rated for up to 308 caliber.  So I guess PCC would be ok but rifle works fine too, unless I am allowed to bring the company FA MP5
View Quote
If I don't have to buy expensive PCC, I'm down!
A weekly rifle league/match....w/ real rifles... Fuck yeah!

(Because I already have the rifle.... it'd be expensive to buy new PCC rather than just more ammo for rifle I already have.  I already have enough opportunities to exercise my pistols, it be nice to have some opportunity to exercise my AR..... aside from mundane 1-shot/sec static paper punching.... that's not the exercise I was referring to)
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds good - I'm in!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Interested

what happened to WCA? has anyone thought about WCA north? they have a bay they use for pistol matches
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Interested

what happened to WCA? has anyone thought about WCA north? they have a bay they use for pistol matches
View Quote
I've thought about them.... but they're up north.  This would interest me because it's down here in south (puget sound.... not the real south... that'd be an even worse drive).
Hopefully a Friday night league wouldn't require membership to the range itself.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Interested

View Quote
I am not sure what the status of the Original FNRL is at this time.  I have shot with them, it was a big time commitment to do this every Friday night, which I did for a few years.  FNRL is a great group of people to shoot with and learn from.  I am sure they will post when they get something worked out with a range.

I am asking WGS as they are new to the Lakewood area, their building appears to be large (although I have not seen a layout).  WGS is very close to home for me compared to WCA (West Coast Armory).
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've thought about them.... but they're up north.  This would interest me because it's down here in south (puget sound.... not the real south... that'd be an even worse drive).
Hopefully a Friday night league wouldn't require membership to the range itself.
View Quote
Price structure, caliber, ammo, etc restrictions have not been discussed with WGS.  They have requested a couple of months of being open before they want to talk.  I find their request to be very reasonable; they are opening a new shop, in a new location, giving them time to get their bearings is a good thing.  I suspect they will be very busy when they first open with that new gun range smell.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:20:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Price structure, caliber, ammo, etc restrictions have not been discussed with WGS.  They have requested a couple of months of being open before they want to talk.  I find their request to be very reasonable; they are opening a new shop, in a new location, giving them time to get their bearings is a good thing.  I suspect they will be very busy when they first open with that new gun range smell.
View Quote
FNRL will garner a lot of attention from JBLM, I imagine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:21:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
FNRL will garner a lot of attention from JBLM, I imagine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Yup, already have a few guys from my shop interested.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:28:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am not sure what the status of the Original FNRL is at this time.  I have shot with them, it was a big time commitment to do this every Friday night, which I did for a few years.  FNRL is a great group of people to shoot with and learn from.  I am sure they will post when they get something worked out with a range.

I am asking WGS as they are new to the Lakewood area, their building appears to be large (although I have not seen a layout).  WGS is very close to home for me compared to WCA (West Coast Armory).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interested

There was drama.  The owner of WCA first accused FNRL of vandalizing the restrooms, then when it was clear that we weren't responsible, he said we didn't spend enough money in his pro shop.

Then he posted something about changing the format for friday night to a plate league that involved drinking shots for missed shots.

I wish I were making any of this up, but it really happened.

Some people are weird.  And that's why I'm canceling my membership to his range and buying a membership elsewhere.

But not to hijack the thread - I'd be in for WGS as my travel schedule permits and would be happy to help.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I stopped by Welcher's Gun Shop (WGS) 2 weekends ago.

They are open!!!

At that time they had 2 bays of longer ranges open.  The shorter pistol only rangers were not open.

You can shoot long guns in rifle calibers; however, you must use their ammo.  So Pistol Caliber Carbines (PCC) will be less expensive to run.

The following is taken from their posting on the wall: (this is paraphrased from photos I took while there)

Their prices are:
Mon to Thurs: $16 an hour to shoot
Fri to Sun  $18 an hour to shoot.  I have no idea what this may mean for FNRL south.
There are no memberships
Second person on the same lane is $10 per hour.

Calibers:
All Pistol calibers up to an including 500 S&W
Rifle calibers up to and including 7.62x39
No Black Powder
If not sure ask the employees.

Ammo:
Only brass and nickel cased ammo
NO steel cased
NO aluminum cased
NO steel cor or tracer

223/5.56 & 7.62x39 ammo has to be bought from the range, customers can NOT shoot their own ammo in those two calibers.

Spent brass can only be picked up in the shooters lane.

Range Standards
No holsters, or drawing from the holsters.  This includes CPL/CCW persons.
All magazines have to be unloaded, same with speed loaders.
All firearms can only be cased and uncased at the firing line.  NO LOOSE FIREARMS!!!
Customers must clear their personal firearms at home or in their vehicle.
18 and older to enter the range, and to rent long guns.
21 and older to rent handguns.
No spectators, no exceptions.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Unless they allow us to use our own ammunition, i'm out.  

Sounds like the perfect indoor fudd/noob range and i'm sure they'll make plenty of money from their low education customers.

Doesn't sound like a place i'd shoot at for any reason other then FNRL, but with their policy regarding ammunition, I won't do that either.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
That appears to only be in 223/556 and 7.62x39; all other ammo can be your own.  

I saw no prohibition on reloaded ammo.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
aka the most popular calibers.  Have fun paying them 50 cents a round to shoot their shitty .223
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:09:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
5.56 is what I run in my rifles and I have plenty of ammunition for them. No need to pay their inflated prices.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:51:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I saw that is was open and dropped in.  Agreed that probably will not shoot there because of having to use their ammo in my guns.  Too bad as it is closer than going out to WCA to shoot.  Hopefully this will change.

Sir James...
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I saw those rules and prices when I dropped in, too.  Not very exciting due to cost and ammo restriction for 5.56 and 7.62x39.  But you do kinda have to understand where they are coming from...that's the only way they can be sure people aren't shooting steel core/penetrator ammo and it is their right to protect their business and facility.  

$16/$18 an HOUR?  I am rarely at the range less than that so I would likely feel rushed or have to pay extra.  HOWEVER, from what the guys told me, they do have some cool features in the range (was told this, not confirmed by using the range).  The targets have a controller which you can use to send the target to the exact range you wish to shoot.  And they have edge/turn capability so you can practice more than just straight bullseye shooting.

Also keep in mind that this is a NEW range and the owners/managers are also NEW (assuming same ownership and management as the Welcher's "old time gun shop").  They will likely have some evolution and education as they get experience running the range getting to know their clients and their needs.

I have always like Welcher's since they used to be my "neighborhood gun shop" when I live a couple blocks away in Tacoma.  I'm going to give then a chance.

Rob
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FNRL would mostly be "black rifles" that are generally 223/5.56 & 7.72x39...so, pretty much everyone, except PCC, would be purchasing their ammo.  Since one would already have to pay to shoot, then pay for their ammo to shoot (FNRL would shoot a lot I assume), this would make for an even more expensive Friday night diversion.  Not as attractive now
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sounds like the perfect indoor fudd/noob range and i'm sure they'll make plenty of money from their low education customers.

Doesn't sound like a place i'd shoot at for any reason other then FNRL, but with their policy regarding ammunition, I won't do that either.
View Quote
Right near JBLM, and I-5, in the heart of Lakehood.  Oh yeah, so much of THIS.  I'd like to think that it would comparable to Marksman, but "Lakehood".
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Yep, I called about pricing and I'm out.

We bitch about ammo taxes in Seattle but it's our own that are nickel and diming us.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:30:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We bitch about ammo taxes in Seattle but it's our own that are nickel and diming us.
View Quote
I bet they're going down the road that every brand new range does.
Fuck the everyday guy and let's find out what departments and agencies we can run through our minty fresh range.
I bet they don't roll out the same restrictions on ammo to any LE/MIL group that comes in and shoots.

I don't give a fuck at this point.
I wish them the best and if anything, we'll remember years from now when their range business dries up.
It happens to EVERY single indoor range. Especially one that finds itself in Lakehood.

Maybe WGS should have asked Quantico why they moved up to the Tacoma Mall area?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm most certainly in.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#40]
It sucks that you need to use range ammo, but one box of 50 isn't a big deal. It's a dollar or two more than what you would shoot. The ability to shoot and move without having to: 1) be active mil/LEO; 2) drive out into the forest and hope no one else is shooting is invaluable.

I loved FNRL but I took it for granted. Hopefully all the people involved at WCA can let bygones be bygones and bring it back in bellevue, too.

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
I need to stop by, check out pricing, etc.

Places like this need to understand we buy stuff while we're in their facility.  Eyes on new guns, accessories, etc.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#42]
All things considered, since hanging out with the people is more important for me then the actual shooting, if this goes, I'll give it a shot with a couple of PPC's rather then rifles.

Bite the bullet so-to -speak for the bigger picture. Also give WGS a chance to re-set the rules with a bit of rational discussion. If not, they'll lose the business, but I'll at least give them a chance to earn it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Definitely interested here.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I was really interested up to the point where I had to buy and use their ammo.  I have some minor heartburn with some of their other rules, but understand that it is their house, so they get to make the rules.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Stopped by last night to ask about a FNRL South.  

My request will be sent to the Owner.  

It does not look good at this time.

I am sorry to have gotten anyone's hopes up with this.

Remember that
Wades in Bellevue will have FNRL (the original) starting Sept 1.  Yes, I know this is a long drive.  FNRL is a good group of people.
Discount Guns in Federal Way has a Tuesday Night Tactical League (I think that is what it is called).
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Remember that
Wades in Bellevue will have FNRL (the original) starting Sept 1.  Yes, I know this is a long drive.  FNRL is a good group of people.
Discount Guns in Federal Way has a Tuesday Night Tactical League (I think that is what it is called).
View Quote
Where can I find info regarding FNRL at wades?
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Sorry found the info in the thread related to wades.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Remember that
View Quote
WGS would be foolish not to next to a military base.  The money pouring in, and traffic coming through would skyrocket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top