Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 7:33:12 PM EDT
Was just at the store getting the middle child some milk for her wheaties........saw an old gentlemen patiently waiting for his family to get some food....He had a hat that caught my eye....WW2 vet....a ruptured duck and a Purple heart pin......I couldn't just walk by...I walked up to him...he eyed me with some wariness...I stuck out my hand and said...Sir, I want to thank you, your a wounded veteran and I appreciate all you did for us.....he almost looked embarrassed, but he said thank you......he grasped my hand and shook it......his hand had the feel of those used to hard work....all they sacrificed...I fought some half assed man dress wearing motherfuckers....he fought the Axis powers, with tanks, planes, artillery and navies...........they are disappearing so fast..................
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I do that all the time.  We all should.

That was a great generation.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
What happened to his duck?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A ruptured Duck is a nickname for an honorable discharge pin......are you being serious?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A ruptured Duck is a nickname for an honorable discharge pin......are you being serious?

Unfortunately, I think he is.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It became esoteric after 64 years.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Tuff old bird...

Outlasted my Korea/Viet Nam vet grandpas.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Discharge Pin &
Patch

aka

"Ruptured  Duck"

The Discharge
Pin or Patch was issued to discharged soldiers and was worn above the right
breast pocket.  

The main purpose of this patch was it allowed the
GI to travel home while wearing his uniform and not be ordered around
by
an officer.

It got its
nickname from the ugly Eagle in the center.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top