Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 8:14:40 PM EDT

Headed out of McCleary at 4am today to hit our favorite Eastern Washington grouse spot.  

Started out the day seeing a coyote, then a spike elk, then some mule deer, and a bobcat. The coyote was lucky, as my scope was a bit off (5" high and 2" to the right), but we got that fixed after tightening a scope base (oops). The bobcat was just too quick for a shot.

The boys and I snuck up on two bull elk, a 5x5 and 3x3, and got within 40 yards, but only saw about 6 elk total.  Ended up seeing almost 30 deer, including a mix of 5x5's, a few 4x4's, and lots of 3x's and forkies.  For once we saw more bucks than does and fawns.  No turkeys.

Ryan got the first grouse of the year, and Cedar got his first retrieve, which he brought to hand!  Only saw 4 grouse, all in one covey, and they gave us fleeting chances on two more flushes as Hunter and I chased down the remaining 3, but they gave us the slip.

Today was a great day, except for all of the people (just tooling about on quads) in the woods.  Everybody was great and respectful (legal as well), but dang, I'll wait until after Labor Day to hit the woods on the next trip.  

Was going to stop by and say "Hi" to another ARFCOMMER, but my cell battery died after searching for a signal all day.  Sorry Dan.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a great trip!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Im heartened by the amount of game ive seen this weekend. Its a fine line between having enough snow to make hunting interesting and too much snow which damages the herds.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top