Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Everett Herald

www.heraldnet.com/stories/06/04/05/100loc_a1gunrange001.cfm

Gun range needs cleanup
Arlington will spend $700,000 to remove lead shot and toxins left by clay pigeons.

By Scott Morris
Herald Writer

ARLINGTON - Shooting pigeons could be hazardous to your health.

Clay pigeons, that is.

The saucer-sized targets used by skeet shooters contain carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, or cPAH, a compound suspected of contributing to cancer if its dust particles are inhaled.

That's why Arlington is spending almost $700,000 to clean up clay pigeon shards. Those shards have accumulated in the soil over 38 years at an old shooting range on city property near Arlington Municipal Airport.

The cleanup was also recommended by the state Department of Ecology because of all the lead shotgun pellets that were sprayed across the field from 1945 to 1978, when the gun range was open, said Kent Wiken, a senior engineer for Shaw Environmental of Bothell.

All that lead is potentially toxic. By taking the soil to a hazardous waste landfill, the city can move forward with developing a large business park there without having to monitor for the toxins indefinitely, said Wiken, the city's consultant on the project.

Clay pigeons, while not as toxic as lead, still should be handled with care, according to the Ecology Department's recommendation.

"It's a voluntary cleanup," Wiken said. "It's not under any order, but Ecology really appreciates that the city of Arlington's been a good steward of their land."

As harmless as a clay pigeon might seem, Wiken said it's known as a hazard in his line of work.

"We've run across it before, so we knew we'd have to test for that," Wiken said.

The cleanup cost is high because it requires removing the top 12 to 15 inches of soil and transporting it to a hazardous waste landfill in Roosevelt in Klickitat County, Wiken said.

That's almost 6,500 cubic yards of soil, said Dale Carman, airport coordinator.

The cleanup also involves treating the lead-contaminated soil with cement kiln dust.

"It changes the pH of the soil so it's not mobile when it leaches when water moves through it," Wiken said.

Over the decades, the clay fragments and lead pellets settled deep into the soil at the old shooting range in two separate spots north of four concrete bunkers.

The clay fragments are scattered in an area closer to the bunkers, while the spent lead fell farther north, Carman said.

Tests originally showed both the target fragments and the lead pellets to be no deeper than 12 inches, said Kristin Banfield, assistant city administrator. But in recent days, crews found clay fragments deeper than that.

The city's original contract with Strider Construction of Bellingham called for removing the top 12 inches of soil, so the Arlington City Council approved a change order Monday to go deeper.

"It looks like 3 (extra) inches will be enough," Banfield said, based on subsequent testing.

All told, barring any further surprises, the project will cost $683,501, according to the contract.

Reporter Scott Morris: 425-339-3292 or [email protected].

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Strat, we better take that target I made for you that holds the clay pigeons in it and turn it over to the EPA.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Another good reason for airsoft.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Another good reason for airsoft.

Airsoft is for pussy's...

I shoot those Biodegradable clays now....

I wonder if the stuff that was in them at the time was from the paint?...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
back in the day, my father in law used to actually trap shoot live pigeons.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Where's PETA. Arrest him. or cook em and eat em.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Clay is bad for you if you inhale the dust.  Let's ban pottery and dining plates made of anything remotely like the stuff so I don't have to do dishes anymore.  Paper plates should be recyclable, right?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:10:55 AM EDT
[#10]
No big secret that the Arlington City Council is anti gun, and they have been for a long time, This sounds nothing more to me than the City digging for a problem, and the State makeing them feel good and digging deep to find them one.

Hell, that range closed down before I was even 5 years old.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:21:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I wonder where the ingredients in clay pigeons comes from?

pretty sure it is the same place as lead...

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:21:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Natural evolution from the kind that bleed when you shoot them.  Just ask Darwin.
Hard to chew, though.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#14]
How come there is no newspaper article about the enviornmental impact from all these strip malls and industrial parks they keep throwing up on every nook and crany of wooded land they keep bulldozing? Would they have us believe that a five acre asphalt parking lot has zero effect on the enviornment?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah! those places were probably built by gun nuts that threatened to take the local planning commisioners trap shooting!  Oh, such evil!

Why is it so easy to see the unfairness of the reporting, but every oen else eats it up like krispy kreme doughnuts?  I mean, if the shooting ranges were legal, and they kept the business legal, than why make it such a big deal now?

I know why, but I don't understand why the public just eats it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top